Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Jul 2000, 15:22 (Ref:23708)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well my day at the races has come and gone..i dont really live near any tracks so Winton is the only race that i can easilly get to each year..race day came wet ..but that didnt last long as out came the sun and chased all the rain away

I must say that Channel tens coverage was not a true representation of what was going on..and they did an average job...
first piece of news is that as from the next round all cars will have the same undertray which was voted in on sunday morning..will this get rid of the parity debate..i think not !!!

allthough there was only 4 classes for the day it was quality stuff all through the day..the porsche's were not that exciting..but the Mirage series sprung a bit of a surprise..these guys gave it everything and allthough warren luff came away with 2 wins the racing back in the pack was great.

formula holden..i love this class and the racing showed why..probably wont look that exciting on TV but believe me it was riveting..Christian murchison was trying so hard he kept spinning off..wait until ya see his exit at the flip flop before penrite corner..i could here murray from austria yelling "spin,spin,spin"..Tim leahy won both races in an excellent showing of his talents but he was chased hard by simon Wills and Matt halliday..race 2 saw the scareiest incident of the day when steve Ownes car lost a rear wheel after hitting paul dumbrell and it flew into the media centre almost hitting the cameramen but fortunately no one was hurt at all in that nasty incident..i didnt see the crash but i did see the wheel taking off through the air at a massive speed and thought it was going into the crowd.

V8's were the stars of course and i guess you all saw it on Tv but there were so many spins that didnt get shown dugal Mcdougal spun 4 or 5 times during the day (i lost count)..the kelly,Larkham and forbes incident at the old turn 2 could have been alot worse and how no one hit anyone is beyond me...silly move of the day went to chris smerdon in my books ..he spun at the old turn 2 ..waited on the grass and then backed onto the track just as Brad jones and someone else (carnt remember who) came around the turn ..one car stopped to wait for the track to clear while jones decided to head for the grass and Smerdon decided he wanted to go where jones was and took the front end off the ozemail falcon..radisich won the VB challenge after cheating but somehow getting away with it.and bargwannas move on richards was way to late but it didnt look as bad as that on TV...

all in all it was a great weekend allthough I have never seen so much carnage before and if you ever get the chance to see a meeting at winton ..do it..it is definately the "action track"..but sadly we may not get the V8's there for much longer with all the overseas races and newer tracks being built..so i guess we should enjoy it while we can...

Oh yeah was driving in looking for a park when i looked into the mirror there was barry sheene on a scooter behind me..not watching where he was going and of course i had to stop because of other cars and boy he has still got it..with a flick of his hands he was around me and still continuing on with his conversation...Good on ya baz
Old 18 Jul 2000, 04:07 (Ref:23822)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"I must say that Channel tens coverage was not a true representation of what was going on..and they
did an average job..."
-It much the same from QR....plus i think the production was shyte as they kept switching cameras, going from the front to the back of the field, then showing something else...all in a matter of 10 seconds...

"..do it..it is definately the "action track"..but sadly we
may not get the V8's there for much longer with all the overseas races and newer tracks being
built..so i guess we should enjoy it while we can..."

- The sad bit is that they have done everything possible to get a round of ther series, upgraded the track, teh pits, the facilities, the tower....screw Avesco...

"..race 2 saw the scareiest incident of the day when steve Ownes
car lost a rear wheel after hitting paul dumbrell and it flew into the media centre almost hitting the
cameramen but fortunately no one was hurt at all in that nasty incident..i didnt see the crash but i
did see the wheel taking off through the air at a massive speed and thought it was going into the
crowd."
-Indeed, that was an apsolute shocker...i thinks we will be seeing wheel tethers very shortly....soo lucky the photographers weren't 5m in the other direction, or else they would have been cleaned up by the tyre when it was going its quickest, before it hit the building...
Old 18 Jul 2000, 08:11 (Ref:23834)   #3
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Fords cheated in the VB Challenge at Eastern Creek as well - on every run they shortcutted a witches hat - but how hot do those VB Challenge cars sound ?

Gotta give the Fords victory somewhere I guess...

Cheers Buck.
Old 18 Jul 2000, 15:02 (Ref:23903)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yep buckshot thats what radisich was doing on every run as well..and yeh they sound totally awesome..and Skaife and the rat gave it heaps as well donuts and burnouts everywhere it was fun to watch

Crash i think whell tethers should be introduced..as i said i didnt see the crash because it was over a little hill but all i saw was the wheel and boy did it launch if it had hit anyone it would have killed them for sure..and as for wintons efforts ..they have done an excellent job the pits are great ..one thing was who they had paired up in the garages ..some strange combos..the extension is good they have improved alot of things so hopefully they will keep their round for a few years yet ...