Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Nov 2006, 18:52 (Ref:1765226)   #1
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Bob Wright

Bob Wright, chief marshal at the Croft Circuit, has been voted the winner of prized Alexander Forbes MSA Marshal of the Year Award 2006 by the UK`s governing body of motor sport, the Motor Sports Association.

As a member of the Darlington & District Motor Club as well as the Mull Car Club, Wright`s sterling contributions at race, rally and rallycross meetings at Croft are renowned but, driven on by his enthusiasm for all forms of motor sport, he`s also active in many other competitive fields and far-flung regions throughout the country. The Wales Rally GB, Jim Clark Rally, Ulster Rally, HERO Malts, Tour of Mull and Manx Rally as well as race meetings at Oulton Park and Knockhill are just some of the nationwide events that regularly benefit from his wealth of marshalling and training experience. Additionally during 2006, he has also been a keen supporter of the Volunteers on Motorsport initiative, offering advice and wisdom to many prospective new marshals across all disciplines of the sport.

Leeds based Wright first started marshalling nearly 35 years ago and today spends more than 100 days a year attending around 70 different events right across the country. “My first experience was on the 1972 RAC Rally at the Esholt`s Sewage Works in Bradford but it was during the early eighties that I really became hooked,” he recalls. “It was then that I realised just how much fun you could have in motor sport with a great crowd of people.”

More recently Wright has been keen to reinvest his knowledge and experience to the benefit of hundreds and hundreds of newcomers to marshalling. “About ten or 12 years ago I joined the team that trains new marshals. I`d hate to put a finite figure on the number of people I`ve trained. Initially we did two or three days a year but more recently we`ve been doing anything up to a dozen training days,” he continues.

Wright will collect the prestigious Alexander Forbes MSA Marshal of the Year Award trophy – as well as a cheque for £250 – at the MSA`s annual Night of Champions ceremony held in London during January. The ceremony is attended each year by some of the most famous names in British motor sport.

“Winning this award really hasn`t sunk in yet,” admits Wright. “I`ve put a lot of time and effort into all forms of motor sport but it`s still a terrific honour to be recognised by my peers.”

Allan Dean-Lewis, Head of External Affairs at the Motor Sports Association comments: “Wright is unique character, well known and liked throughout the UK. He has played a major role in the on-going success of Croft but he has an amazing habit of making notable contributions in the most unexpected places. There can surely be no more deserving person for this award.”

The hard-working efforts of two further marshals also have been recognised by the MSA via the presentation of Highly Commended certificates. Paul Harris was singled out for his hard work promoting recruitment drives within the British Motorsport Marshals Club in the South Midlands while Liam Carton was acknowledged for his exceptional contributions to marshalling in Northern Ireland.

Release MSA06-059: 10 November 2006

Well done Bob,
Just one question will he (Bob) wear shorts for the presentation?

Last edited by flagwaver; 13 Nov 2006 at 18:54.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 22:43 (Ref:1765381)   #2
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I may add a little more colour to Flagwavers exellent post above, I believe a huge number of Marshals have a "Bob Wright" story, if only a slight concern over the wearing of shorts at all times.
I have a couple to share, First, Bob is the Stage Commander of probably the most challenging stage in British rallying, the "Long One" on Mull, this is 20 plus miles of tarmac that the pace notes for which look like a dictionary, even Bob gets a bit, ahem, tense, in the run-up to this, but I dont know of a better person to do it.
Secondly, after Bob was a bit poorly a few years ago, he appeared at Oulton for his first event for a few months, he was Obs at deer leap, possibly as a gentle first day after a break. Naturally, on the first lap of the first session of the day, a Big Healy plants itself in the bottom of the box and bursts into flames.
Congrats Bob The BRMC would be immesurably poorer withot you
Old 13 Nov 2006, 22:47 (Ref:1765387)   #3
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't take any credit for the first part of the post as I copied it from the MSA website. But I can certainly say well done Bob
Old 14 Nov 2006, 08:14 (Ref:1765576)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Press release on it's way to all regional newsletters (and a few choice publications)

Let me add my congratulations to Bob and the other winners. The awards dinner in London is a night to remember I assure you!

It's great to see two out of the three winners are BMMC members!
Old 14 Nov 2006, 09:12 (Ref:1765634)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Old 14 Nov 2006, 09:24 (Ref:1765660)   #6
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations, Bob. Can you wear a DJ with shorts?
Old 14 Nov 2006, 10:31 (Ref:1765744)   #7
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is fantastic that Bob has won this award.

I started marshalling in 2003 at Croft and Bob has been very helpful and encouraging ever since. So as just one of the hundreds of people Bob has trained over the years I'd like to say a very inadequate thank you Bob for all your hard work.

This an award that you richly deserve.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 11:16 (Ref:1765787)   #8
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On behalf of the Marshals club may I offer our sincere congratualtions to Bob.

I have only known Bob since 1971(God is it THAT long?!) when he started marshalling at Harewood, Croft and wonderful Esholt Sewerage works (which was at the bottom of our road!).

For all his efforts over the years - a just reward and a great "Thank You".

Well don Bob.
(Mine's a large whisky by the way)

Chris Hobson
National Chairman BMMC
Old 14 Nov 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1765905)   #9
Steve Gibson
Racer

Steve Gibson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that the one formally known as "SFB" and now known as "PITH" and occasionally refered to as "Bob" has been recognised for all the effort that he puts in to our sport and is hearby promoted to super hero status will he turn up with his underpants outside those shorts
I supose we will have a bit of a to celebrate his award.

Steve Gibson
Chairman D&DMC
Old 14 Nov 2006, 15:56 (Ref:1766031)   #10
Harry S.Tinkler
Rookie

United Kingdom
Staithes
Harry S.Tinkler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done 'Bob', could not go to a nicer person, it is well deserved

HST
Old 14 Nov 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1766091)   #11
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations Bob, a very well deserved award!
Old 14 Nov 2006, 18:06 (Ref:1766108)   #12
Gordon Knight
Racer

England
Monton, Eccles, Manchester
Gordon Knight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations Bob, you were my Obs the first time I marshalled at Croft.
It was when the Tuscans made their first visit to Croft. We were on the old
post 9. Needless to say it was an "entertaining" day.
Perhaps when you pick up the cheque at the wards ceremony you will now be able to afford a pair of trousers.!!!
Old 14 Nov 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1766157)   #13
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bill & I would like to add our congratulations - how come it took him so long?

Best memory of Bob is him standing outside the live action hall at the NEC (Autosport show) waiting for the recovery to come and sort his car alarm out. Think it was a Cavalier, definitely white, and proof that a personalised number plate does not improve the car!!!!!!
Old 14 Nov 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1766227)   #14
Julian
Racer

United Kingdom
Towcester
Julian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations Bob!
I am not sure when we first met, not quite as long ago as Chris Hobsons 1971 but it is longer than I care to think of!
It is always a pleasure to work with you.
Julian
Old 14 Nov 2006, 22:40 (Ref:1766279)   #15
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Ian said above, I think most of us who know Bob have at least one good story, and probably at least one hangover complements of spending time with him

A very well deserved award, for marshalling, rallying and fashion defiance.

Al.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 01:59 (Ref:1766360)   #16
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it should be revoked - bloody silly hat wearing Observer-type man!

Well done Bob!
Old 15 Nov 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1767175)   #17
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Bob, You must be over the moon!!!