Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jan 2001, 21:50 (Ref:57919)   #1
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

the Arrows AX#, beeing presented at the Autosport show in Birmingham tomorow is a 3(!!!!!) seater:

Looks pretty radical........
Old 10 Jan 2001, 22:02 (Ref:57920)   #2
wodonnell
Racer

wodonnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A better idea than the 2 seaters. From the back of the McLaren it looks like you can't see a great deal.
Old 10 Jan 2001, 22:42 (Ref:57931)   #3
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That does look pretty cool!
I wonder how it drives? Do you suppose the weight affects handling and acceleration as much as you'd expect?

Wodonnell, you're right about the McLaren. The back of the drivers headrest, with that rear-facing bulge, almost looks like a 'helmet rest' for the passener. Do you suppose that's to help the relatively weak neck muscles of the passenger during high-G decceleration?

If so, how are they gonna restrain these guys from head-butting the bodywork!?

*Another consideration*

What if (And it's a big 'if') the car rolls? Surely the helmets of the two passengers could concievably strike the floor before the hoops??

Sorry to be morbid...
Old 11 Jan 2001, 10:27 (Ref:57983)   #4
wodonnell
Racer

I think it would take some "skillful" driving to roll that thing.

Just a thought, but presumably the 2 passengers have to be of a similar build, otherwise the handing is going to be totally screwed.
Old 11 Jan 2001, 16:38 (Ref:58011)   #5
Sparky
Veteran

Anyone noticed the pushrod suspension?

A sign of things to come for '01?
Do you think they have ditched the troublesome pullrod arrangement, or was it necessary to go with pushrods just for the AX3?
Old 11 Jan 2001, 17:16 (Ref:58012)   #6
Shawmoss
Rookie

Shawmoss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

It looks really cool but i have the same thoughts as the others its gotta need a skilful driver and extra strong helmets for the guys on either side!

Head bangin in an Arrows.......now there's a thought!
Old 11 Jan 2001, 17:55 (Ref:58015)   #7
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this a real-life car, a mockup or simply some Photoshop magic (a photo altering or changing computer program, I tend to be suspicious as I work in this area)
In any case, from what I've read of the lucky folks who have been in the other two, you really can't see much-this would certainly be a much more fun-and scarey-ride...
Old 11 Jan 2001, 18:01 (Ref:58016)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry guys - you're missing the obvious here. Let's look at the facts.

1/ Arrows announce they are to build a two-seater F1 car like McLaren.
2/ They announce that Nigel Mansell is to drive the car.
3/ They actually unveil their new car - but is apparently built to take three people.

Are these facts connected ? Did Mansell not learn his lesson after having to quit McLaren as he was too fat to fir in the car ?
Old 11 Jan 2001, 18:19 (Ref:58021)   #9
wodonnell
Racer

I was a bit suspicious of the pic too, but there are more images of the car on the Arrows website (www.arrows.com) so if it is a hoax, it is at least official.
Old 11 Jan 2001, 18:35 (Ref:58024)   #10
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Like I said, this car has been revealed today at the Autosport show in Birmingham, It's real!!, and this time the VIP's, sponsors and press aren't the only people that can get a drive, Arrows are going to let some fans have a taste too, you can read more about it in the interactive area at http://www.arrows.com.
Old 11 Jan 2001, 20:52 (Ref:58050)   #11
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can confirm this car is real, as I saw it with my own eyes today. Strangely enough, given that it seats three, it doesn't look that bulky, nor does it seem to have a particularly long wheelbase.

Just one correction. Nigel Mansell will be driving European Aviation's two seater F1 car. Although initially affiliated with Arrows, the car now sports a red colour scheme and sponsorship from AutoGlym. And although it was launched as an Arrows 2-seater, the front end always looked suspiciously like a 1998 Tyrrell. Funny that, given that Paul Stoddard owns Uncle Ken's entire collection...

Old 11 Jan 2001, 20:58 (Ref:58053)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
oops... I stand corrected
Old 13 Jan 2001, 01:35 (Ref:58250)   #13
Sparky
Veteran

steve nielsen, can you shed any light on why Arrows have reverted to conventional pushrod front suspension?
I thought they had overcome the pullrod-system weaknesses early last season.

Or is it for the AX3 only?
Or perhaps it's the front end of that Tyrell mentioned above?

Surely not!
Old 13 Jan 2001, 08:14 (Ref:58266)   #14
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
The team's going back to push rods, because the pullrod system gave difficulties when driving over the curbs, in slow chicanes, like the bus stop at Spa this gave problems with handling, the dutch F1 comentator saw the slow motion's made at that chicane and went to Jos and the team with the tape, they also showed it on TV, and you coud clearly see the pull rod woble like a ruber band.

BTW: Jos has said that the car will have a sharper turn in this year, it wil fit his driving style better.
Old 14 Jan 2001, 22:15 (Ref:58517)   #15
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spoke with Mike Rush of European Formula Racing yesterday who confirmed that the 2-seater F1 Arrows project will still be continuing, despite the AX3 (There's even a competition to win a ride in one in F1 Racing).

Apparently, there are 8 of the 2-seaters in existance, one of which is still in Arrows colours. And yes - it is really a Tyrrell (unlike the AX3 which is Arrows-based). It simplified the design process to use a 98 Tyrrell front end.