Old 30 Mar 2012, 11:28 (Ref:3050801)   #1
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(Blueprint of) new track.

Hey guys,

This feels a bit strange, seeing as I haven't posted a track here of my own creation in over two years(here, if anyone's interested) because I was sucked into Uni life.

Track is clockwise, and runs at about 5-6 km in length, haven't really counted that well, so left in a few measurements to assist in working it out if you want precise numbers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 track initial design.png
Views:	44
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	36529

Elevation and such to come in a final model, if I have the time.

SKP file attached so you can make more defined edits.
Attached Files
File Type: skp 2012 1.skp (109.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 30 Mar 2012, 12:36 (Ref:3050826)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My first observation is that when you drew the outline, you then off set to the inside, this has resulted in several of the corners being really small in radius.

What I'll describe as t6, that you have the outside marked as R20.07, your track is 14m wide, so in reality that's a R6 corner. Not that bad in it's own right, but in context that it's a short corner that's pretty tight.

T10 the 90 right outside radius R17.25, so the inside is R3.25.
The second to last corner, inside radius of the hairpin is 4m.87 - for reference that's about the same as the hairpin at Mallory Park...The hairpin that the BTCC use at Oulton Park is R15, the hairpins on the full circuit is larger again.

Other suggestions, for this circuit I'd consider having the main straight wider than the rest of the circuit from the exit of the final corner through T2 narrowing back to your 14m, though T3 and T4.
The exact width I'd have as the current straight plus pit exit, so that the pit exit doesn't narrow the racing and overtaking lines into t2.
Oh I'd put the pit entry off the outside of the final corner.

I hope that input helps.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 16:22 (Ref:3050905)   #3
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
My first observation is that when you drew the outline, you then off set to the inside, this has resulted in several of the corners being really small in radius.

What I'll describe as t6, that you have the outside marked as R20.07, your track is 14m wide, so in reality that's a R6 corner. Not that bad in it's own right, but in context that it's a short corner that's pretty tight.

T10 the 90 right outside radius R17.25, so the inside is R3.25.
The second to last corner, inside radius of the hairpin is 4m.87 - for reference that's about the same as the hairpin at Mallory Park...The hairpin that the BTCC use at Oulton Park is R15, the hairpins on the full circuit is larger again.

Other suggestions, for this circuit I'd consider having the main straight wider than the rest of the circuit from the exit of the final corner through T2 narrowing back to your 14m, though T3 and T4.
The exact width I'd have as the current straight plus pit exit, so that the pit exit doesn't narrow the racing and overtaking lines into t2.
Oh I'd put the pit entry off the outside of the final corner.

I hope that input helps.
Very much so. I'm going to have to make these edits in my own time, as I'm having shape collision issues with the outliner, so colour filling would become problematic, but the feedback is valuable.

How's the flow of the circuit at more "conventional" radii?
Old 30 Mar 2012, 23:19 (Ref:3051056)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The flow is still a bit stop start, as even opening out the circuit by a width, it's still several 90+ degree corners, that require hard braking.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 07:56 (Ref:3052727)   #5
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the circuit pretty well but it has some issues.

SBF already mentioned the high number of tight corners. The only one which I would widen for it to be 2nd or 3rd gear is the one before that 114.11m short straight.

The other 2 problems are more serious as they involve fast and slow traffic on the same place: the pitlane entry and pitlane exit.

First let's discuss the pitlane entry. It is right there on the racing line and it does not belong there. Why not put it right after the exit to the penultimate corner onto the outside of the final turn? The pitlane entrance would also be shorter this way.

The pitlane exit could be altered in many different ways to get out of the way. One would be to straighten out the main straight. But if you are keen on having the main straight bend slightly as it does, you could put the pit exit between Turns 1 and 2.

Also, as an addition, I would recommend the addition of a perimeter circuit which bypasses the 2 infield sections.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3052847)   #6
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Noted, and in plan to fix. I plan on widening the SF straight as per SBF's suggestion, and reprofiling the 90 and the corner you've mentioned.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 13:05 (Ref:3053442)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
It might end up looking something like this...

Name:	Tathrim 2012 1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	36577

All I've done is re outline your circuit using your outside as the inside, adding to all infield radii. I hadn't realised that you were using 14m wide, I've done it at my usual 14.5m. The S/F is 18.5 reducing through T3 and expanding through T15 (if you count 17 turns on the circuit)

Yannick's suggestion of the pit entry is where I would have put it, the exit just needed a slight adjustment with the wider track.

It now looks lie it has a number or really technical corners, rather than being stop/start.
Attached Files
File Type: skp Tathrim 2012 1.skp (100.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 7 Apr 2012, 14:39 (Ref:3054872)   #8
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford

Name:	Tathrim 2012 1 complete.png
Views:	15
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	36597

This is as far as I'm going to go with this track, elevation will probably feature in other designs I produce. Model used is SBF's edit, but with run off and barriers added.
Attached Files
File Type: skp Tathrim 2012 1 complete.skp (437.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 7 Apr 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3054874)   #9
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
looks good