Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 28 May 2008, 09:19 (Ref:2213738)   #1
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Towing Straps

I have seen webbing straps on the front/rear of some cars in place of towing eyes and they seem like a neater idea than a huge ugly towing eye. Does anyone have them, can they be bought and more to the point, are they FIA (for which read european racing) legal?
Old 28 May 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2213871)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I went over to these on my heavyweight Camaro and have been used in anger and also when I winch the car on the trailer and they are great. To be honest I just cut down a bit of old webbing tiedown strap. Car has also passed half a dozen scruteering sessions without problem. i also recommended the idea on our club site and have noticed a few of the Historic boys turning out with them fitted. Personally I think they are safer and stronger than a bit of dodgy welded hook and see an aluminium one shear last year when a Capri was towed in.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 28 May 2008 at 12:27.
Old 28 May 2008, 12:53 (Ref:2213885)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37
I have seen webbing straps on the front/rear of some cars in place of towing eyes and they seem like a neater idea than a huge ugly towing eye. Does anyone have them, can they be bought and more to the point, are they FIA (for which read european racing) legal?
I bought mine ready made,at £11 each I could not be bothered to wait and see if the Scrutineers would accept home made versions. The Scrutineers at Spa etc do seem to favor them over an 80/100mm metal ring.Another bonus of course is they weigh next to nothing.
Old 28 May 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2213892)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I've had one on the front of my car for around 4 years. I had a slight disagreement with a scroot at Mallory last year who wanted me to remove it while I was in the assembly area, it had already passed normal scrutineering but after a bit of discussion he made me remove it after practice.
A couple of marshals then intervened and with the approval of the chief marshal I was allowed keep it on.

It seems obviously easier to just hook a strap up rather than digging underneath the car if you end up in a gravel trap.
Old 28 May 2008, 13:57 (Ref:2213928)   #5
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Terence, where did you buy them? I had a look in the DT catalogue but no sign. Failing that, Al how did you secure them?
Old 28 May 2008, 14:14 (Ref:2213943)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Terence, where did you buy them? I had a look in the DT catalogue but no sign. Failing that, Al how did you secure them?
Sorry,they came from GPR.
Old 28 May 2008, 14:18 (Ref:2213945)   #7
Mik
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Mik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen them in one of the catalogues. Can't remember whether it was DT or GPR though.

I've thought about fitting one of the webbing straps on the back of my car as the towing eye is under the car and about two feet in (that's where the chassis ends) so it would take some digging if I ever had to be retrieved backwards (the front towing eye is much easier)
Old 28 May 2008, 15:07 (Ref:2213972)   #8
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Thanks folks. GPR do them, 12quid +. ordering them now!
Old 28 May 2008, 15:19 (Ref:2213980)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
If they are too long ,ie,flapping in the wind,just roll them up on themselves and use some tape to secure them.Dont use cable tie's.
Old 28 May 2008, 18:19 (Ref:2214088)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Waste of 12 quid IMHO especially when you must have a few now redundant seat belt straps thanks to new rulings that would probably do the job!
Old 28 May 2008, 19:05 (Ref:2214131)   #11
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
are they FIA (for which read european racing) legal?
Article 253 - Safety Equipment
ARTICLE 10 : TOWING-EYE
All cars will be equipped with a rear and front towing-eye for all
events.
This towing-eye will only be used if the car can move freely.
It will be clearly visible and painted in yellow, red or orange.

From the above cannot see why the right coloured strap is not ok - no mention of size, length or diameter
Old 28 May 2008, 19:38 (Ref:2214145)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Wrap a bit of red electricans tape around it, job done!
Old 28 May 2008, 23:20 (Ref:2214284)   #13
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Machine Mart - about a fiver each - come in Orange, and have metal eyes that fit to original manufacturers towing eyes. Conform to the Spa and Rings requirements, and passed scrutineering at Brands and Silverstone. Stuck to the bodywork with a bit of Tank Tape, so it can be pulled off when required.
I would attach a pic if I knew how !

Alan
Old 29 May 2008, 06:39 (Ref:2214395)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Do you mean this one Alan http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...ation-products Looks a good piece for the money, I may buy a pair thanks for pointing out. (I think it should read 50mm wide not 500mm though!!!)
Old 29 May 2008, 08:34 (Ref:2214457)   #15
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Do you mean this one Alan http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...ation-products Looks a good piece for the money, I may buy a pair thanks for pointing out. (I think it should read 50mm wide not 500mm though!!!)
Al,
Almost - I used http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...ation-products Loped round, and attached with a bow shackle http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/ra...0-DE32BB38E46E - all you need is a bit of tank tape to hold it tight to the bodywork. The advantage of the ones that I've got is that they form a big loop, and satisfy the special requirements of the ring/spa.

Alan
Old 29 May 2008, 09:50 (Ref:2214513)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Right I see, I have a problem with the black car doing what I did on the yellow one as with more modern cars the OEM towing eye is a good distance under the bodywork so either of those may well do the trick . Looks a good solution I will get my tape out and have a measure up.
Old 29 May 2008, 11:30 (Ref:2214564)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
BTW instead of tank tape what about a nice bit of reusable velcro to keep them in place?
Old 29 May 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2214614)   #18
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think I might invest in the Machine Mart ones and get rid of my yellow OMP metal ones as these do look very durable.
Old 29 May 2008, 12:45 (Ref:2214617)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Is there nothing available without the paint scratching metal eyes, my old one had a largish loop at the end. but I don't seem to be able to find one now.
Old 29 May 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2214690)   #20
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Is there nothing available without the paint scratching metal eyes, my old one had a largish loop at the end. but I don't seem to be able to find one now.
Mine are 'doubled up' so that both metal eyes are connected to the chassis, and the strapping is looped then tank taped to the body ( I can't afford Al's velcro )

Alan
Old 29 May 2008, 14:51 (Ref:2214692)   #21
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tank tape, luxury, I'm so poor I have to use elastic bands.
Old 29 May 2008, 14:59 (Ref:2214695)   #22
GBRM
Veteran

England
Is string legal?
Old 29 May 2008, 15:09 (Ref:2214700)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
It must be,its whats holding the FIA together.
Old 29 May 2008, 15:10 (Ref:2214701)   #24
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Metal loops??? The V8Supercars in Aus just use a fabric loop (made out of similar material to a tow strap) attatched to the chassis and sticking out through the body. I'll try to find some pics.....

Mick
Old 29 May 2008, 15:36 (Ref:2214733)   #25
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
It must be,its whats holding the FIA together.
I thought it was leather and whips....