Old 28 Jun 2004, 07:32 (Ref:1018402)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Head: USGP was a "Sham"

In Patrick Head's views, the last Sunday's Indianapolis GP was a 'sham.'

Head noted Rubens's edge over Michael 'all weekend' in the 'States. "[But] all of a sudden (in the race) it disappeared. I don't respect them. They should be motivated also by the interests of F1."

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.h...28085534.shtml
Old 28 Jun 2004, 07:39 (Ref:1018410)   #2
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Head: USGP was a "Sham"

Its not new criticised from Head for Ferrari. He said such criticises round after round.

But, I cant say that I disagree with him.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 07:40 (Ref:1018412)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, Head has a go at Ferrari, what a surprise.

Anyway, if HE would be motivated by the interest of F1, he'd probably try to build F1 cars. The competitive kind, also the ones who don't get DQed. Did he mention anything regarding this aspect too?
Old 28 Jun 2004, 08:05 (Ref:1018432)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I like Patrick, but if I had cars disqualified from the last 2 races I would'nt be drawing attention to myself.

I'd be trying to get people focused on 'anything' other than my own poor performance. Wait a second....
Old 28 Jun 2004, 08:05 (Ref:1018433)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old 28 Jun 2004, 09:22 (Ref:1018489)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmmmmmhhhh.....
Old 28 Jun 2004, 11:17 (Ref:1018605)   #7
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
head decides to have a go at ferrari....sure, why not?.....he's got nothing better to do and his team certainly has laid the big fat goose egg this year......i always liked him, but he's beginning to sound like a whining old granny....
Old 28 Jun 2004, 11:21 (Ref:1018614)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Patrick's opinion is a result of being involved in F1 for 30-odd years.

We may or may not agree with him, but he certainly has a right to express it.

Old 28 Jun 2004, 11:27 (Ref:1018623)   #9
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Ferrari really didnt want to give Rubens a chance, why would they let him look so quick in the first place???

Patrick Head is a joke. He more than anyone in the F1 paddock needs to have a look at himself and determine whether he's still cut out for the demands of F1. He's had 4 years to develop a solid car around the best engine and has failed to do so. If I was BMW i would be asking some serious questions to Patrick.

Rather than constantly whining about Ferrari, he should focus on improving the Williams through non-illegal means.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 13:21 (Ref:1018803)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The article is based on a bigger in article in the Sunday Times.

In it Patrick goes on a great length about how it is Williams fault that Ferrari are better than them. He also points out that the recent DSQ in Canada are very stupid errors and only the team is to blame. There is not shunning of blame or trying to hide behind something else.

Then there is the question of how you run your team, especially in respect of team orders. Williams and Ferrari do run their teams differently. There is a lot of overlap with how they do it, but there are also differences. It is as incorrect to suggest only Ferrari have driver orders as it is to suggest that Williams have the same orders as Ferrari. A lot of orders, be careful, save your engine etc... are the same for Williams as they are for Ferrari. However there have been and will be again times when Ferrari do something that Williams wouldn't. This I feel is undisputable. As such Patrick can comment on what he thinks a team should do. He can't tell Ferrari what to do, but he can comment on it. It is the same as how Ferrari are allowed to say that they are there to maximise the chances of winning. They are allowed to say that too.

I defend Ferrari for what they do - its their choice and their team. I also defend Williams for running their team how they want - even if it comprimises their chances.

FWIW (nothing) I prefer the Williams method.

Patrick brings up the point that he thinks that extreme team orders are bad for F1. This is almost a different situation IMHO. Firstly we have whether team orders are jsutifiable. Then we have are they good for the sport. Which is very difficult to sort out. He says he thinks fans prefer it if teams have a situation more like Williams and McLaren. He might be right. Maybe the problem is education, I don't know.

However I find (and I'm sure Ferrari do too) it annoying that all questions to Brawn or Todt before the race are about what they will allow Rubens to do. Now, to a certain extent, they have brought this upon themselves. However it is ridiculous to ask before the event. If they do order something it should be understood after the event and as I say Ferrari can do what they want.

However, back to the other point, Williams would do some things differently (their choice) and Patrick is not using it as an excuse for other, separate, failings.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 13:39 (Ref:1018836)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not surprised that Head takes a shot at Ferrari..it's really respectable to be DISQUALIFIED 3 times out of 2 races...

Basically, it's not new...Head is trying to divert the bad press onto a rival team. Admit it...their team is getting lots of bad press and Ferrari getting lots of good ones, and what better way to balance it out with a well timed comment such as this?

Whether it makes sense or not isnt important. What's important is that the motive of this comment isn't lost to us, and it makes one wonder how a sore guy Head can be. It's not the first time he makes such cheap comments about Ferrari anyways.

I respect his skills, but sometimes, Mr Head just loses his head when he speaks..Ask Ralf

"I don't respect them", for a man of his position, to say such things is nothing short of lack of sportsmanship, but if it's the way he wants to take things, so be it.

Let me stress again, what happen in USGP is all SPECULATION on his part, and to try to pass it off as a fact and condemn ur rival is shameful.

Rubens did not lose "the edge" he had over Michael in the race as Head claims. In fact, RB had the edge over Michael throughout the race, but situations beyond Ferrari's control resulted in Michael finishing ahead. Of course, how come the Williams which took so many poles in 2002 cant transfer that superiority on race days?

Interest of F1 at heart? Boy oh boy..what a brilliant thing to hear from Head. I don't really think he works with more "interest of F1" in his heart nor head than anybody from Maranello.

Oh yeah..the brake ducts were an honest mistake.... Look at the Autosport description and race pictures and you would think how HONEST it can get..to claim it's an honest mistake isn't really respectable either.

The fact that his accusations hold so much flaws signal that it's an attempt out to take in those simple-minded enough to be believe it.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 14:10 (Ref:1018865)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It strikes me that Head is harder on Williams for the brake ducts than even you are. Anyway its a separate issue.

Names reversed. Are Ferrari not allowed to comment on anything because of Malaysia 1999 or perhaps another separate incident where they are just accused of cheating, but nothing is actually proved? Of course Ferrari can, it is a separate incident.

Blindly accusing one team of deliberately cheating (with no proof) is the same as blindly criticising another (with no proof).

Last edited by Adam43; 28 Jun 2004 at 14:11.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 14:14 (Ref:1018873)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
On names reversed. Is it always that the first to complain about posts against one team are the first to put the boot in to an alternative team?
Old 28 Jun 2004, 14:23 (Ref:1018875)   #14
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Definitely.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 14:49 (Ref:1018901)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely!

Also choosing to disregard the facts - ie the longer interview - because it doesn't fit a pre-determined bias
Old 28 Jun 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1018905)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Provoked responses, all.

TEAM Williams have their rights to voice their opinions.

However, what strikes me is that the comment is not a direct response to an incident which people disagree on, but rather one that carries a high level of motive and on offensive attitude.

Head made a provoking statement, one which, respected as an opinion, holds little value in terms of accuracy. And his statement provoked a response on this forum, which i think is entirely fair.

It is distasteful that any individual think that they can forge a false story/assumption and taint a rival team and walk away scot free. And it's all the worse when it's a respectable and senior member of the F1 circus.

Honestly, what happened to the DQs DOES NOT take away the rights of Head to speak his mind. BUT, if he wants to use such a comment to divert attention from the DQs and crash.. then it's quite a sad thing to do.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1018918)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Head was asked a question in a long interview, and responded to it.

It's quite clear to all but those who view the world through Marlboro Orange-tinted spectacles.

Old 28 Jun 2004, 16:52 (Ref:1019057)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

Then maybe i'd change mine to a blue tint with white frames

Damn those Ferraris!!!

But maybe not..those blue lens do look cheesy

Last edited by Gt_R; 28 Jun 2004 at 16:53.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 16:54 (Ref:1019058)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

The best view of the races comes with clear ones!

Old 28 Jun 2004, 18:10 (Ref:1019171)   #20
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Patrick Head. I miss him already and hope to see him a few gps a year. I remember the press conference at Monza last year about the Michelin gate saga he interupted Ross Brawn to ask why it had taken 38 RACES for Ferrari to finally protest about the width of their tyres. Brawn was seriously annoyed, Briatore looked geniuely frightened adn Ron Dennis was having trouble holding back his laughter.

Good old Pat.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 18:58 (Ref:1019216)   #21
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've said it already today - people like Head play mind games and they use the media to the fullest effect.

Things like this, in however small a way, undermine competitors...it's also fun to watch!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 19:19 (Ref:1019235)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Mind games? Patrick Head? I think he is (to his credit and detriment) very straight talking.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 21:28 (Ref:1019432)   #23
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite being a Schumacher / Ferrari fan, I agree with Patrick, as I understand it, his point is that Williams allow drivers to race each other, Ferrari state that both their drivers are allowed to race but in reality they are not.
Without commenting on which approach is best, I would say Ferrari's way is more sensible but less fun for spectators.
I was at Indianapolis last year and this. I don't think people have forgiven Ferrari for the orchestrated finish the year previously at Indy.
There was genuine excitement during practice and qualifying with regard to Barrichello's performances, and Sato in particular, but come race day there were several comments where I was watching at the beginning of the race ( Stand H ) from Ferrari fans and others that " they " ( Ferrari ) would make sure MS won regardless of no team orders rule.
There were many boos and groans following the restart when MS came first into Turn 1. Apparently many thought quite quickly that " team orders " had been issued.
When making my way from Stand H to watch the race from the in-field it surprised me to see a lot of fans leaving the circuit after only 15 laps or so.
I asked one group ( of American ) fans who were leaving why they were going so soon, one shouted back, " Man, that's not a race, it's a fix-up - stick with NASCAR " .
I enjoyed the race and the result, as did MANY others, particulary the Sato fans ! However, I do have mixed feelings about whether MS and RB are REALLY allowed to race, my head says not, so does the undoubtedly more wise Patrick Head.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 21:32 (Ref:1019439)   #24
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think even if Rubens was allowed to race, and if he were fast enough, he'd still 'wuss out' of any head-to-heads with Michael, there needs to be someone who's willing to stir things up a bit in the second Ferrari.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 21:40 (Ref:1019447)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

Even if they were allowed to race, Michael would still win.