Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

View Poll Results: Which Team Was The Worst In Formula 1 History?
Andrea Moda 12 32.43%
Colini 1 2.70%
EuroBrun 0 0%
Kauhsen 1 2.70%
Life 16 43.24%
MasterCard Lola 7 18.92%
Onyx 0 0%
Pacific 0 0%
Simtek 0 0%
Other (Please State) 3 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 Aug 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1684963)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Worst Team In F1 History

I'm coming up with a lot of 'in F1 history' things... sorry if its annoying anyone.

Who could forget... The classical years of Andrea Moda, possibly the worst team in Formula 1 history. I read their profile on f1rejects.com, and I can recall some of their glorious outings in F1... Like poor Perry McCarthey getting about 20 metres from the pit bay when his engine retired...

What's your say?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 17 Aug 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1684985)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrea Moda is the obvious example, purchasing Coloni's assets but not their entry and then after numerous calamaties before being thown out of F1 for bringing the sport into disrepute. However, Moreno somehow managed to qualify for Monaco.

For what its worth, I think that Life can probably claim to be F1's worst team; a substantial overweight car and a W12 engine that had a reported 450bhp and never come close to qualifying for a race. They disapeered befoe the end of '90 and haven't been heard of since.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1685019)   #3
hotwheels
Racer

hotwheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ags.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 13:21 (Ref:1685023)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Life are especially comical in that the team's raison d'etre was to promote their unique engine concept and get a big team to run it in future, when in practice the engine was even worse than the functional chassis they ran (originally designed for the planned FIRST team in 1989, I believe).

F1Rejects has a lot of them covered - Token, Peter Monteverdi's time in charge of Onyx, Rial, Eurobrun, but there are probably more in the past.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1685030)   #5
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Has to be Life. For perennial outrageous underachievement that would have required a 300% rule to qualify. At least Andrea Moda got to the grid once.

Honourable mentions to Kauhsen, who had the sense to give up after 3 hapless DNQs (and the early prototypes of that car were downright odd; very short, TG183esque rear wing, no front nosewings avant l'heure), and to Broadley Lola who were somewhat screwed by a ludicrous sponsorship agreement that took me about 2 seconds to consider hopeless when I heard about it.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1685078)   #6
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was at Phoenix, standing in the pits right by the Life garage. I swear this is true - I saw a Life mechanic go into the garage next door (another team) to ask if he could borrow a tyre pressure gauge just before a practice session!
Old 17 Aug 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1685087)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No doubt in my mind, Lola. Only attempted to qualify once and failed. Certainly statistically the worst team ever. However it did save the firm from dissapearing...

Coloni were pretty dire and Forti Corse too.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 14:41 (Ref:1685095)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
No doubt in my mind, Lola. Only attempted to qualify once and failed. Certainly statistically the worst team ever. However it did save the firm from dissapearing...
Viglielmo Matozza's VM only turned up for 1 Formula 1 race - one of the Grands Prix des Frontieres at Chimay - and he missed qualifying because one too many all-nighters getting the car ready meant he slept through it...

There is one worse statistical make - McGuire. Brian McGuire modified his Williams FW04 so much he named it for himself. His one F1 World Championship attempt ended in a failure to pre-qualify.

Loris Kessel also created his own car from a Williams and called it an Apollon (after a sponsor), which as a make has a record of entries 1, DNQs 1.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 15:02 (Ref:1685109)   #9
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels
Ags.
They scored 2 points! (though were consistantly uncompetitve in 1990/91)

How about ATS (as in 'Automobili Turismo E Sport', not 'Auto Technisches Zubehor'!!) from 1963, considering the team was founded by disaffected Ferrari personnel fresh from winning the 1961 world title, and featured Phil Hill and Giancarlo Baghetti as drivers, its results were very poor. I remember readng somewhere that the team simply turned up unannounced at the Belgian Grand Prix, stopping the transporters outside the paddock and then simply driving the race cars into the pits! I also seem to recall that if an engine change was required the chassis tubes had to be cut apart and then rewelded in order to fit the new engine! See here for more...

Carlo Chiti (an ATS founder) later designed the disasterous Subaru Flat 12 engine that 'powered' Coloni in 1990...
Old 17 Aug 2006, 15:49 (Ref:1685127)   #10
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I cannot immediately remember the name of the car, but someone will recall the one-off car entered for the British Grand Prix in the '60's that caught fire in the paddock one night and was never heard of again.

Beat that!
Old 17 Aug 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1685171)   #11
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Pearce-Martin.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1685181)   #12
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
There is one worse statistical make - McGuire. Brian McGuire modified his Williams FW04 so much he named it for himself. His one F1 World Championship attempt ended in a failure to pre-qualify.
There's a sad footnote to that story in that later that same year Australian McGuire tried to qualify the car in F5000 race at Brands Hatch killing himself in an absolutely horrific accident. I think a marshall may have died in the accident too.

Life and Andrea Moda take some beating though. Wasn't the owner of Andrea Moda an Italian footwear magnate who was arrested and had the teams assets confiscated by the police when they showed up at Imola ?
Old 17 Aug 2006, 16:33 (Ref:1685194)   #13
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Pearce-Martin to be driven by Tony Lanfranchi was burnt out in the transporter at the 1967 Silverstone International Trophy, not the GP.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 16:35 (Ref:1685200)   #14
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Wasn't the owner of Andrea Moda an Italian footwear magnate who was arrested and had the teams assets confiscated by the police when they showed up at Imola ?
Andrea Sassetti was apparently quite big in footware. It was in the paddock at Spa where Sassetti was arrested for some financial irregularities and the team were prevented from entering the paddock when they turned up at Monza.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1685211)   #15
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worst must be an italian device called a Dwya which I think failed to quaify for a Aurora F1 race.-never entered a WC race.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1685215)   #16
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
Andrea Sassetti was apparently quite big in footware.
You mean he wore stacks?
Old 17 Aug 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1685216)   #17
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry - I should have resisted that temptation.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1685224)   #18
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
You should have Allen! They were all the rage back then, I had a pair myself, I could not understand how at 6ft tall all my mates started towering over me till I caught on, I looked like lurch from the Munsters in them! One night returning from a nightclub I ran out of petrol about 5 miles from home and nearly crippled myself walking home in the sodding things, I binned them after that. I digress, sorry Allen started it! :-)
Old 17 Aug 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1685272)   #19
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doe's anyone remember the Eiffeland. Basically it was a March 721 (I think) but the team were sponsored by the Eiffeland, the Caravan Manufacturer. They thought as they built it would be a good idea to gain advantage by building new bodywork around the driver (using Caravan Technology?) and it had a big mirror on a post in front of the driver, which basically blocked his view.

Was it any good - no it was total rubbish!!!!

http://www.racingsportscars.com/f1/1...-06-04-006.jpg
Old 17 Aug 2006, 18:08 (Ref:1685300)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
(using Caravan Technology?)
Why not? It's a very light material.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 18:21 (Ref:1685317)   #21
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Why not? It's a very light material.
Yes but dreadful aerodynamics!

PS Love the Avatar. My favourite racing car
Old 17 Aug 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1685452)   #22
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose the CTA-Arsenal would have been a contender had it been a year later. The car appeared in practice for the French GP in 1947 and reappeared in 1948. On both occasions its performance was abysmal. As Formula 1 started in 1948 it was just too early.

But the V12 OSCA and the Arzani-Volpini weren't.

Moving on a bit we have the DB which proved that 750cc supercharged was not the way to go.

But putting the obscure makes to one side there is the Aston Martin . A manufacturer of successful sports cars produced a car that just yhadn't got it. OK it was front engined when Cooper had shown theat rear engines were the answer, but it was still far slower than the other front-engined cars.

And finally how about Arrows - 382 starts yielded 1 pole and 1 fastest lap. Ok, Minardi never even scored a pole, but they never had Arrows level of budget or quality of drivers.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1685461)   #23
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
Andrea Sassetti was apparently quite big in footware. It was in the paddock at Spa where Sassetti was arrested for some financial irregularities and the team were prevented from entering the paddock when they turned up at Monza.
Sassetti went on to sponsor one of the CART teams for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Worst must be an italian device called a Dwya which I think failed to quaify for a Aurora F1 race.-never entered a WC race.
Yep, poor Peter Charles himself (Ghinzani for those unaware) who struggled around with it. The Dywa later re-emerged as the Monte Carlo F3000 car and was nearly as successful.

Arzani-Volpini...that had some record. 1 start, 1 fatal accident.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 06:14 (Ref:1685682)   #24
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
On a ratio of budget v performance, BAR must be the worst ever...
Old 18 Aug 2006, 06:26 (Ref:1685683)   #25
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
On a ratio of budget v performance, BAR must be the worst ever...
Toyota aren't far behind either!!