Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 30 Jun 2003, 11:16 (Ref:647051)   #1
mikec
Rookie

mikec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic Le Mans 2004

Does anyone know the exact dates for the Classic Le Mans 2004 yet?
We went last year and it was fantastic, well worth the trip! You can walk through all the enclosures for the cars, talk to the drivers/owners etc... They even have real Bentleys!!!!
Old 30 Jun 2003, 11:57 (Ref:647087)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Too right it was great - I'd recommend it to everyone! (The fantastic weather last September did help.....!).

I don't know the dates yet myself, but I'll be doing all I can to get there again next year. Rumour had it that it was being brought forward to July (that could make it difficult for me......)
Old 30 Jun 2003, 13:41 (Ref:647211)   #3
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Should be around the 14th July week-end... I'd say 10/11 or 17/18...
Old 1 Jul 2003, 07:47 (Ref:648048)   #4
mikec
Rookie

Surely it couldn't end up being the same weekend as Goodwood could it?
Old 1 Jul 2003, 08:13 (Ref:648065)   #5
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by mikec
Surely it couldn't end up being the same weekend as Goodwood could it?
Never !
Old 1 Jul 2003, 12:09 (Ref:648290)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would be pretty daft, wouldn't it - but daft things often happen. I think they need to talk.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 12:18 (Ref:648309)   #7
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the week after would be good. First Goodwood, where everyone admires the cars, and then while they're in Europe, take the ferry over to France for a good race the next week....
Old 1 Jul 2003, 12:23 (Ref:648317)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'd actually prefer that the Classic was in it's September slot. July is too damned close to June for comfort for me (in persuading Mrs. Ayse that I ought to go..... )
Old 1 Jul 2003, 12:31 (Ref:648327)   #9
mikec
Rookie

I agree. September worked fine for us last year. Surely they are not seriously considering July. I think I've got away with being at Le Mans on my wedding anniversay for 4 years. Le Mans in June, Goodwood and The Classic in July just might be pushing it a bit don't you think?
Do you think the organisers would listen to a deputation?
Old 1 Jul 2003, 12:38 (Ref:648339)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Le Mans on your wedding anniversary?

I get ribbed every year for being away on Father's Day, but I'm not sure my missus would be too happy about me missing our anniversary every year!

In all seriousness though, it was great to have the Classic in September last year as it not only forshortened the wait for the next Le Mans "fix" in June 03, but there was a semi-respectable gap in between. Is it a weather thing? We were very lucky with the sunshine last September - perhaps the ACO think they will get a better crowd if they go for July?
Old 1 Jul 2003, 12:42 (Ref:648344)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I get ribbed every year for being away on Father's Day
I deal with that easily - i go to Le Mans with my Dad!
Quote:
Originally posted by mikec
I think I've got away with being at Le Mans on my wedding anniversay for 4 years.
Does that mean one year you got married during Le Mans week? That wasn't very good planning was it
Old 1 Jul 2003, 12:42 (Ref:648345)   #12
mikec
Rookie

And mid to late July is NOT the time to "quickly nip down to Le Mans for a long weekend" with all the holiday traffic.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 12:45 (Ref:648350)   #13
mikec
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore

Does that mean one year you got married during Le Mans week? That wasn't very good planning was it
Yes but I was into two wheels then! and that was in April/May time wasn't it?
Old 1 Jul 2003, 12:46 (Ref:648354)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:

Sadly, no longer a possibility for me.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 13:42 (Ref:648426)   #15
the18racer
Rookie

the18racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will it happen? I believe they lost a lot of money last time. It is a fantastic event though. Even though I was full of 'flu during the whole weekend, I didn't mind. Going home with a few pots helped, as did the magnificent jolly-up in the hotel on Sunday. Took me a week to recover..
All I can say is, if you didn't go last time, don't miss it. It was even better than historic Monaco.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 17:47 (Ref:648664)   #16
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Everything I've heard says that they're going ahead with it full steam ahead. Not every event can be like the Goodwood Revival and work first time straight out of the box.

I would join the chorus of clamour for September though. My wallet would blanch a bit at two French holidays within a month of each other and as Aysedasi says, the September date nicely shortens the wait between Le Mans "fixes".

Either way though - I'll be there. It was an utterly glorious weekend.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 06:58 (Ref:649218)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by the18racer
Going home with a few pots helped, as did the magnificent jolly-up in the hotel on Sunday.

Welcome back

That really was a terrific evening.......
Old 2 Jul 2003, 07:36 (Ref:649260)   #18
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
now that's a cool idea and gives me great ammo for 2004

Last edited by PaulSands; 2 Jul 2003 at 07:42.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 08:36 (Ref:649308)   #19
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Dad lives 1/2 hour drive from Le Mans, heh.

I'll hopefully be going to the Classic, whenever it is. I want a drive there
Old 2 Jul 2003, 09:01 (Ref:649329)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Is it a weather thing?
No : the point is that the part of day is shorter in September than in July, and Category Five had their start at night last september...

Quote:
perhaps the ACO think they will get a better crowd if they go for July?
They could hope, but the event is builded by Patrick Peter Organisation. ACO is strongly interrested by a real success, anyway, and the locals too (hotels, restaurants, etc...).
Old 2 Jul 2003, 12:16 (Ref:649530)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Ah, I see. Did the Category 5 boys complain then? Presumably they had at least 1 daylight race on Sunday?
Old 2 Jul 2003, 16:57 (Ref:649845)   #22
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
(...)and the locals too (hotels, restaurants, etc...).
perhaps not those on the Mulsanne straight (or should I say Hunaudières?)
Old 2 Jul 2003, 23:48 (Ref:650324)   #23
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They get visitors still - the visitors just have to know the back road from Mulsanne village and the right fields to drive through!
Old 22 Jan 2004, 15:58 (Ref:846983)   #24
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
That's quite a long time we didn't talked about the Classic event, planned in July.

I just wanted to spot that the first 100 cars were there, on Thierry Lesparre's site.

We're gonna hear the sound of the V12 Matra again !
Old 22 Jan 2004, 16:06 (Ref:847000)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Sounds fantastic, and I'd love to be there, but I can say with absolute finality this time, I won't be. Its simply too close to Le Mans. If it had been September again, I might just have strertched both Euros and goodwill, but July is plain daft as far as I'm concerned.