Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 26 Feb 2010, 03:30 (Ref:2640681)   #76
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This happened about 5 miles from me. The update at 10 was that her Corolla "just took off".

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news...ty-home-022510
Old 26 Feb 2010, 22:11 (Ref:2641184)   #77
SeanBlue
Rookie

United States
Trenton Speedway
SeanBlue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
are there any legal rammifications if someone has such an accident after Toyota's recall?

I just read a UK article that had a quote from a lawyer which said "The recall puts you on notice that there could be a fault, which means that you assume responsibility. You could be held criminally and civilly responsible for an accident and, in the case of a fatal accident, you could be charged with death by dangerous driving. If you have one of these cars, don't drive it."

How is it in the US?
Old 27 Feb 2010, 00:20 (Ref:2641246)   #78
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wonder how you get it to the garage for the recall if you can't drive it...

Ours is now done, anyway.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2641587)   #79
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's odd because I have seen some news reports (nothing directly from Toyota) that states you should continue to operate your car as normal. If you encounter a stuck throttle, shift to neutral. With the microscope Toyota is currently under, I have a hard time believing they won't make the incident above "right".
Old 2 Mar 2010, 12:45 (Ref:2643255)   #80
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually Toyota did officially say to continue as normal until you can get a date for a fix. I see GM have just announced a 1.8M recall for faulty steering, yet *they* decide to point the finger at a supplier that is part-owned by Toyota. Like Toyotas issues haven't been caused by their suppliers. The manufacturer carries the can for quality control when they assemble the cars. Toyota did the decent thing and put their hands up and did all they can to rectify it, GM on the other hand do anything to pass the liability elsewhere....
Old 2 Mar 2010, 13:47 (Ref:2643292)   #81
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
The manufacturer carries the can for quality control when they assemble the cars.
Am I misreading this? You appear to be saying that component manufacturers have no responsibility for quality!
Old 2 Mar 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2643437)   #82
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Am I misreading this? You appear to be saying that component manufacturers have no responsibility for quality!
You buy the car from the manufacturer, they are entirely responsible for the vehicle they deliver to you and you have no redress whatever against the manufacturer's supplier, ever.

This is not the same as saying the supplier has no responsibility but their responsibility is to the manufacturer who can hold them accountable but you as the manufacturer's customer cannot.

Of course that is the legal position (at least in the UK) you could argue that morally it is slightly more complicated but as ever morality has precious little to do with the law.
Old 2 Mar 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2643458)   #83
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Yes you are misreading it Dave Of course the suppliers to Toyota have a responsibility for quality, but to Toyota not the consumer. Toyota didn't go crying to the press blaming all their issues on the suppliers whereas GM are playing the "its not our fault" card. To be honest i didn't expect anything better from them - they are deliberately trying to pass the public perception of blame on to Toyota just because they part own a supplier. I mean, it's not as if the GM quality control mob would have any responsibility is it, oooohhhhh no not the great GM.

And i wonder just how much of it is driven by the fact that the US is Litigation Central
Old 3 Mar 2010, 19:21 (Ref:2644255)   #84
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
Actually Toyota did officially say to continue as normal until you can get a date for a fix. I see GM have just announced a 1.8M recall for faulty steering, yet *they* decide to point the finger at a supplier that is part-owned by Toyota. Like Toyotas issues haven't been caused by their suppliers. The manufacturer carries the can for quality control when they assemble the cars. Toyota did the decent thing and put their hands up and did all they can to rectify it, GM on the other hand do anything to pass the liability elsewhere....
Are you talking about this article?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8544989.stm

What did Lutz say before that? What was the question? Seems like a reporter was trying to work out a Toyota connection and Lutz revealed it was a partially Toyota owned supplier. We don't have enough of that conversation to decide. Besides, Toyota outed their supplier too, it's mentioned early in this thread.

The US government seems to think Toyota did not do the "right thing" until enough pressure was put on them.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2644927)   #85
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
The US government seems to think Toyota did not do the "right thing" until enough pressure was put on them.
One wonders whether the US government would be quite so demanding on one of their own though, eh?
Old 4 Mar 2010, 22:27 (Ref:2645153)   #86
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
One wonders whether the US government would be quite so demanding on one of their own though, eh?
Excellent point since they and GM are one in the same. GM got hit pretty hard with the full size truck/gas tank issue when I was younger so I'd like to think so. I just don't like taking Lutz out of context... he's one of the good guys in a land of dooshes.

I was watching ABC this morning and the big story was that some vehicles that have had the fix applied are still having the problem. They had a camera in car with someone and had video of the sudden acceleration. Pretty crazy and scary I bet. Nevertheless I hope Toyota gets this sorted out soon.
Old 5 Mar 2010, 19:25 (Ref:2645722)   #87
SeanBlue
Rookie

United States
Trenton Speedway
SeanBlue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
was trying to find the video you mentioned JHamilton but ended up finding this from ABC instead: "What to Do if Your Car Accelerates Out of Control" You guys think that's the best way?
Old 9 Mar 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2648546)   #88
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100309...a-ca02f96.html
I still don't understand why people can't turn the engine off ! is there something I don't know ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Mar 2010, 22:03 (Ref:2648549)   #89
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A lot of the Start button cars will not actually let you turn off the engine if the car is in motion.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 22:08 (Ref:2648553)   #90
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I actually tried this on one of the "keyless" cars the other day and found you can, but I can't speak for every type. If that is the case what a mental idea !
Mind you I have been used to driving and towing cars with dead engines/power steering/brakes for years so I don't find it a big deal
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 Mar 2010, 00:07 (Ref:2648616)   #91
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27 View Post
A lot of the Start button cars will not actually let you turn off the engine if the car is in motion.
From what C&D found in testing, and I've read in other articles, all the cars they used would shut down if the button was pressed and held. The Lexus model had the longest duration of just under 3 seconds but it did shut the car down. I'd be surprised if there's not a requirement that a car be able to be shut down regardless of motion.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 04:02 (Ref:2648670)   #92
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
I saw a TV interview with the guy and he stated that he tried to turn it off several times before being able to.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 04:41 (Ref:2648677)   #93
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I saw a TV interview with the guy and he stated that he tried to turn it off several times before being able to.
I once had a Renault on hire with a keyless system where you drop your card in a slot and press the button to start and stop the engine. I discovered by trial and error, well error really, that if you pull the card out of the slot while the engine is running you cannot stop the engine. You have to physically put the card back before you can stop it. I mean who the hell designs stuff that behaves in such a counter-intuitive manner?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 10:07 (Ref:2648777)   #94
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
From what C&D found in testing, and I've read in other articles, all the cars they used would shut down if the button was pressed and held. The Lexus model had the longest duration of just under 3 seconds but it did shut the car down. I'd be surprised if there's not a requirement that a car be able to be shut down regardless of motion.
I bet those three seconds seem like an eternity to a Mum in her car full of children when it's accelerating away with her!
Old 10 Mar 2010, 14:38 (Ref:2648937)   #95
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The Lexus model had the longest duration of just under 3 seconds but it did shut the car down.
Hmmm. . . at 60 mph a car travels 88 feet in a second.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2649017)   #96
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I once had a Renault on hire with a keyless system where you drop your card in a slot and press the button to start and stop the engine. I discovered by trial and error, well error really, that if you pull the card out of the slot while the engine is running you cannot stop the engine. You have to physically put the card back before you can stop it. I mean who the hell designs stuff that behaves in such a counter-intuitive manner?
The same people that brought you the Citroen CX it would seem.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 04:17 (Ref:2650052)   #97
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
The NHTSA sat in front of a Congressional hearing today to investigate if they (NHTSA) performed properly in the Toyota case... someone remind me why we can't get anything done?
Old 16 Mar 2010, 23:26 (Ref:2653837)   #98
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Government(n): useless bunch of gob ****es that earn too much money for doing too little & what they do managed to do in-between getting their duck house renovated & cavorting with 7 BDSM professionals seems to take forever & cost the earth.

Thats why
Old 17 Mar 2010, 02:05 (Ref:2653901)   #99
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd be surprised if there's not a requirement that a car be able to be shut down regardless of motion.
Not necessarily, I'd expect the regs were framed when every car had a key, and would not be surprised if they do not address keyless systems and the like. Regulations often lag behind technology.