Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 25 Jan 2007, 10:13 (Ref:1825496)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rochdale Olympic

I've always thought these were neat and pretty cars and they had good performance for their day, too. The production Phase 1 (1960-62) cars had Riley 1.5 running gear, and the later (1962 on) Phase 11 cars, mainly Ford 1500 engines. I don't know which version this is, but the picture was taken at the Silverstone Classic, last year:-

Old 25 Jan 2007, 15:47 (Ref:1825757)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looks like a GT6's fat younger brother...

Any link to Rochdale the place? Genuinely never heard of it before. Tis a pretty looking thing.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 16:30 (Ref:1825779)   #3
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty sure there is a UK-based owners club kicking around somewhere. I know a guy who owns one.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 17:08 (Ref:1825805)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, built in Rochdale, Filby tells us that the name of this model (there had been others) was inspired by preparations for the 1960 Rome Olympics. More here:-

http://www.1950sspecials.com/home.htm
Old 25 Jan 2007, 19:19 (Ref:1825897)   #5
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Dennis.Doyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Pretty sure there is a UK-based owners club kicking around somewhere. I know a guy who owns one.
Sure is:

http://www.rochdale-owners-club.co.uk

Seem to be a some spares available too - at least in terms of kitcars & specials. In my memory serves me well the owners club exhited at the Classic Car show in Manchester back in the '80s & they had a complete "buck" to remake one of the bodies - probably the Olympic. Sounds to me like as close to a practical classic as you get if you want a special?

Little anecdote: In about 1980 I went to see a car described as a "Rochdale Grasshopper". The seller said it was a prototype. The back end did look similar to some Rochdales, but you see them so rarely it's difficult to say how simlar. The front end was totally different. It had an oval grill, but set vertically, i.e. more like an XK120. Unlike the Olympic, the 2 ends did not look good together! The engine was Riley 1.5. The body was aluminium with rather a lot of filler on it, so maybe it was a prototype - who knows? There is a reference to a Grasshopper in Bill Williams book on Austin Seven specials, but that is described as a 2 seater sports car that never went into production. Rochdale did do aluminium bodies for Austin Seven specials & racers, but the thing I saw didn't have much in common with one.

Anway, it was way beyond my restoration skills, so I had to say no thanks & left.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 10:29 (Ref:1826284)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fascinating.

I never realised Rochdale had its own car company! I grew up 3 miles south of Rochdale and never saw one!

Must investigate - wonder if the workshop is still there?
Old 26 Jan 2007, 21:08 (Ref:1826804)   #7
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
It's Littledale Mill on Littledale St (on the Bury side) - ring any bells?

The street is still there & that bit of town hasn't been redeveloped much.

BTW1 I'm a member of Knowldale Car Club which meets in Rochdale. Since the last shell was made as recently as 1973 I'll ask one of the more mature members if they know anything about them.

BTW2 The historical motorsport forum have been discussing the very same thing:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38504
Old 2 Feb 2007, 15:36 (Ref:1831964)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I like these cars, would like a '63 1500 GT one to race please, in my race colours obviously !
Old 2 Feb 2007, 22:41 (Ref:1832224)   #9
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I like these cars, would like a '63 1500 GT one to race please, in my race colours obviously !
Sorry to disappoint, but someone seems to have cornered the market in these - all those I can find being restored/for sale seem to be on this site:

http://www.scholar-racing96.com/frame.htm

If they'd remove a nought off the asking prices I'd be straight over there.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 10:01 (Ref:1876566)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hey Zef,

What about this from that website?

Quote:
1962 Rochdale Olympic lightweight, one of only 4 lightweight Olympics built by Rochdale Motor Panels, and the only surviving example of this very rare marque.
Old 9 Apr 2007, 17:41 (Ref:1887355)   #11
scholar96
Rookie

United Kingdom
Great Sutton
scholar96 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rochdale olympic

The car in question is the ex Richard Parker car, Richard was the original designer of the cars and in the late 1990's took a very nice Phase two and developed it into what would have been had he not been poached by Lotus. The car features fully indipendent suspension and a Ford Cosworth engine. Unfortunately Richard is no longer with us, but the car survives and is in the hands of a very keen Rochdale owner.

Oh by the way I am the guy who has cornered the market in these cars, having worked on them for some 30 years, started the Rochdale Owners Club, and was behind the early Cheshire Kit Car Shows. We now restore all maner of historic sports and race cars, as well as building 750 formula cars.

One of my own projects being a 1967 Unipower GT.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 10:23 (Ref:1887847)   #12
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possibly the only Rochdale Olympic in Australia? I've never seen one before. This was at the Philip Island historic races in March, and it was for sale too.

Old 30 Sep 2007, 10:27 (Ref:2026648)   #13
Nero
Racer

Nero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since I am the owner of the above car let me say that there are two known Rochdale Olympics in Australia and a possible third has just surfaced.
The above car has a 155bhp Guy Croft Fiat Twin Cam engine, 6 point cage, Flared guards, adjustable suspension etc. It is reasonably nippy.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:20 (Ref:2031100)   #14
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome Nero! That's probably the rarest car in Australia! Do you know the owner of the other one?
Old 5 Oct 2007, 10:19 (Ref:2031794)   #15
Nero
Racer

It is quite rare, however there is only one GT in the country, so that is naturally rarer still!
Yes I do know the other owner, we correspond on occasion. He is intending to build his car up for Historic circuit based motor sport, which is quite a thriving arena in Australia at present. There are also plenty of other non-circuit events that the car could be used for.
Of course the biggest concern for all cars of this period and possibly particularly for the Olympic is how to make the car safe enough to compete.
I am going up to cover the Australian Hillclimb Championships in Brisbane this year and I hope to make inquiries about the mystery 'third' Olympic.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 15:43 (Ref:2044638)   #16
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Hey zef, I've found just the thing...

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...hp/carno/24839

OK, it might need a bit of work...
Old 21 Oct 2007, 23:36 (Ref:2047208)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
The GT was a bit earlier than the Olympic though; probably mid to late 1950's and was fitted on an E93A chassis with a 1-litre engine. Maybe not quite what Zef had in mind. Interesting project though, and whilst rare should not be worth much as it stands. Hope the dealer concerned takes a realistic view of its value.
Old 22 Oct 2007, 04:08 (Ref:2047358)   #18
Nero
Racer

I agree, possibly 10 pounds worth of body there?
There have been a number fitted with chassis of the period e.g. Alexis etc and they can be made into quite a nice car. Hanging panels are available from the owners club...but it takes dedication and time to build/restore one.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2109804)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
And putting his money where his mouth is, he's done it! See here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103312
Old 20 Jan 2008, 18:10 (Ref:2109981)   #20
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All of which reminds me of the origin of "Specials", the Rochdale GT being one of a number.

Buckler Ford was another. And Ashley:

Most as JT states used the old Ford Puddle Jumper (AKA E93A) chassis and engine and suspension: if one could call it that!

The rugged Ford 8s and 10s also spawned trials cars and circuit racers, as well as promoting an embryo bolt on goody business with such as Aquaplane, Speedex, Les Ballamy (who offered a sort of IFS by splitting the front beam axle).

The earlier 1930s Ford, which used basically the same trusty sidevalve engine, was the basis for all British Stock Cars, originally.

Happy days.