Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: LMP1 privateers in 2017 and/or 2018???
Rebellion Racing 27 87.10%
ByKolles Racing Team 26 83.87%
Oak Racing 4 12.90%
SMP Racing 16 51.61%
Strakka Racing 15 48.39%
Greaves Motorsports 2 6.45%
Manor WEC 15 48.39%
Signatech Alpine 5 16.13%
Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus 7 22.58%
Team SARD 0 0%
Team Penske 0 0%
Courage 1 3.23%
Perrinn Ltd 1 3.23%
Project Brabham 2 6.45%
HPD-Wirth 2 6.45%
Adess AG 1 3.23%
Dome 2 6.45%
Welter Racing 1 3.23%
???OTHER??? 4 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 May 2017, 07:28 (Ref:3734404)   #151
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, kinda heard all this before........I'll believe it when I see it on the track....but if he really has sold 2 cars I can imagine this was a real snub to Ginetta, David has got one over on Goliath!....... I wouldnt even be surprised if the ACO got involved with the deal, as Ginetta and the ACO really do not get on - apparently.......to his credit, I think Perrin knows his onions, and he should be able to create a competitive LMP1 design out of the box, I believe he just did a stint at Manor as a consultant designer, so am sure some of this could be factored into the LMP1 car, no jokes please!......yes the Judd 5.5 V10 would make a fantastic LMP1 motor, still even today, well proven, competitive and reliable, fit and forget......for a privateer team to run a turbo motor, its highly complex.......a big capacity 5.5L NA motor, perhaps with a Di conversion, will be competitive for sure.......to this day I'm still convinced Orece built a croc of a car just to keep privateers away from Toyota
Old 19 May 2017, 08:15 (Ref:3734412)   #152
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't see it as a snub to Ginetta, more a case of going a different route to try and get an advantage. If everyone has a Ginetta then it'll be properly hard to beat anyone else, and you won't get any special treatment. If you're running a Perrin, you could end up with a better car and have an advantage straight away. And if you're the only one with a Perrin, you'll get quite a lot of support.

I love the open source idea of this car. I hope it gets a nice sounding engine (either a beefy American sounding one, or a high pitched Aston one would be wonderful ) and does well. Oh, and stop painting it bloody red. I know some RGB values they can use!
Old 19 May 2017, 08:27 (Ref:3734415)   #153
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
I believe he just did a stint at Manor as a consultant designer, so am sure some of this could be factored into the LMP1 car, no jokes please!.....
Could this be significant in finding out who is buying the 2 cars?

Sean
Old 19 May 2017, 09:04 (Ref:3734422)   #154
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude2cv View Post
Could this be significant in finding out who is buying the 2 cars?

Sean
Manor are already announced as a Ginetta customer, so unlikely, unless the Ginetta deal has fallen through.
Old 19 May 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3734425)   #155
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If we count the Kolles car, 2x Perrin, 2x Manor, 1x KCMG, 2x SMP BR, that's already 8 cars

That'll crowd Le Mans!! So the question is where will space be found....

This years P2 grid is 25 cars.

This years GT AM grid is 16 cars.

With next years BMW addition in Pro, and we can probably assume Ford won't be running 4 cars again, that puts us at 13, or 15 cars

If you shoehorn 8 P1s in, and assume Ford go for 4 cars, you need to lose 6 cars from this years list. So three from P2, 3 from GTE AM.

I'll say this, I'd rather we gain 8 P1s and the BMWs and lose a few Am cars and P2s.

Clearwater, Scuderia Corsa, Spirit of Race, & Proton all have multiple entries in Am this year. So if they had single entries that's 3 cars gone already only three to lose from P2
Old 19 May 2017, 10:36 (Ref:3734427)   #156
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My opinion - GTE-Am will become a ELMS and AsLMS only and anyone given an entry for a GTE-Am class win would have to enter in GTE-Pro. It's what they do with LMP3 - anyone who gets a class win has to come with an LMP2. You could even go as far as saying if you don't run GTE-Am at Le Mans, then why bother with GTE-Am. Just use GT3 cars instead, so ELMS becomes LMP2, LMP3 and GT3, and that way you can introduce a promotion system to the GT3 classes in those series, like they did for LMP2.

That'd make sense and fit with the ladder style system they're trying to create.
Old 19 May 2017, 10:44 (Ref:3734432)   #157
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
If we count the Kolles car, 2x Perrin, 2x Manor, 1x KCMG, 2x SMP BR, that's already 8 cars

That'll crowd Le Mans!! So the question is where will space be found....

This years P2 grid is 25 cars.

This years GT AM grid is 16 cars.

With next years BMW addition in Pro, and we can probably assume Ford won't be running 4 cars again, that puts us at 13, or 15 cars

If you shoehorn 8 P1s in, and assume Ford go for 4 cars, you need to lose 6 cars from this years list. So three from P2, 3 from GTE AM.

I'll say this, I'd rather we gain 8 P1s and the BMWs and lose a few Am cars and P2s.

Clearwater, Scuderia Corsa, Spirit of Race, & Proton all have multiple entries in Am this year. So if they had single entries that's 3 cars gone already only three to lose from P2
I fully agree with this sentiment. No offense to the teams running in P2 but P1 privateer is just a much more interesting class if it gets some entries. As is GTE Pro.
Old 19 May 2017, 13:46 (Ref:3734464)   #158
ModelT
Rookie

ModelT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Manor are already announced as a Ginetta customer, so unlikely, unless the Ginetta deal has fallen through.
I would imagine the Manor deal with Ginetta, being...."If you give us a couple of cars, FOC, lend or whatever, then we will run them, providing we have paying customers."

I do not imagine for one moment that Manor is going to buy 2 Ginetta cars on spec, anymore than they would buy 2 Perrins on spec. So perhaps not a customer in the true sense.

The cost to do a WEC season even in P1 Privateer must be quite high, and also remember that the necessity of a minimum of a silver FIA licence grading, rules out a fair number of rich rent-a-drive guys.

In the end I hope that both Ginetta and Perrin do have cars on the grid next year, it can only be good for the class and the fans perhaps there will be a Renaissance at the top class of LMP
Old 21 May 2017, 16:04 (Ref:3735010)   #159
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Wasn't that always the plan from Rebellion , to do P2 this year and back to P1 in 2018 .

I can see Kolles next year , but with all this new tech coming out I feel it wont progress much without a chassis change .

SMP are building a P1 car with Dallara , so I expect a brace of them .

I seem to remember Greaves showing some sort of interest towards P1 in 2018

I cant see Joest staying away either , but with what is the question .

Aslo Manor have expressed a will to go P1 next year .

Ginetta with at least 3 cars ....

Oak , Im not sure what their planning but I also seem to remember talk about a P1 project , but that was awhile ago .

I can see up to 9 chassis in that grid for 2018 .
Old 21 May 2017, 19:34 (Ref:3735098)   #160
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Wasn't that always the plan from Rebellion , to do P2 this year and back to P1 in 2018 .

I can see Kolles next year , but with all this new tech coming out I feel it wont progress much without a chassis change .

SMP are building a P1 car with Dallara , so I expect a brace of them .

I seem to remember Greaves showing some sort of interest towards P1 in 2018

I cant see Joest staying away either , but with what is the question .

Aslo Manor have expressed a will to go P1 next year .

Ginetta with at least 3 cars ....

Oak , Im not sure what their planning but I also seem to remember talk about a P1 project , but that was awhile ago .

I can see up to 9 chassis in that grid for 2018 .
Any chance that Strakka might be interested in returning?

I've been out of the sportscar loop for a while so sorry if it's a dumb question.
Old 21 May 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3735099)   #161
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post

I've been out of the sportscar loop for a while so sorry if it's a dumb question.
They are running McLaren's GT3 program in Blancpain. Seems more likely they would return with a GTE McLaren. Hopefully.
Old 21 May 2017, 20:26 (Ref:3735108)   #162
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post

I don't think we will see Strakka back in LMP1. Their plans were a kind of mysterious as they wanted to build their own car based on the S103 chassis while their partner DOME has had a LMP1 design ready for run in 2015.
Strakka blamed a bit DOME for the issues with their LMP2 cars while the Japanese guys are very careful in their words but if you read between the lines for example of Hiroshi Yuchi (chief designer of the S103) Strakka also doesn't accept too much support.
My personal opinion is that the S103 case was a step too much for Strakka and I don't think they have the people to develop a LMP1 by their own. But this is just my personal thinking based on comments from both sides
Old 21 May 2017, 20:58 (Ref:3735115)   #163
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by templer View Post
I don't think we will see Strakka back in LMP1. Their plans were a kind of mysterious as they wanted to build their own car based on the S103 chassis while their partner DOME has had a LMP1 design ready for run in 2015.
Strakka blamed a bit DOME for the issues with their LMP2 cars while the Japanese guys are very careful in their words but if you read between the lines for example of Hiroshi Yuchi (chief designer of the S103) Strakka also doesn't accept too much support.
My personal opinion is that the S103 case was a step too much for Strakka and I don't think they have the people to develop a LMP1 by their own. But this is just my personal thinking based on comments from both sides
Maybe the new way LMP1 is going with cars being sold by Ginetta and co would suit Strakka better though?
Old 21 May 2017, 21:16 (Ref:3735119)   #164
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Maybe the new way LMP1 is going with cars being sold by Ginetta and co would suit Strakka better though?

Strakka went to McLaren on the promise of GTE

Count down the months to the announcement!!
Old 6 Jun 2017, 09:02 (Ref:3738976)   #165
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some interesting thoughts here on the appeal (or lack of appeal) of LMP1 Privateer.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...ody-asked.html
Old 20 Jun 2017, 02:18 (Ref:3745405)   #166
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
During Le Mans Sam Collins mentioned there will be another P1 program coming from Japan by a (i forget the actual adjective) "significant" motorsport manufacturer. My first thought was Dome, but i doubt it after their recent history. Also, Sam said this team plans on being on the overall le mans podium in 3 years.

Does anybody else remember this more clearly than me?
Old 20 Jun 2017, 02:32 (Ref:3745408)   #167
Scorchess
Racer

Scorchess has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
In post race tech he said "the Japanese people" and then when Hindy asked for clarification he said Dome. There was apparently an announcement but only in Japanese and Collins said they were quite serious about it.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 07:12 (Ref:3745448)   #168
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Dome changed management recently, so it may be a return because of that.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 07:38 (Ref:3745451)   #169
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
However, Dome doesn't have wind tunnel nor autoclave.
I think it's realistic to participate in LMP1-L by an original body cowl in LMP2 monocoque and the TRD engine.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 13:00 (Ref:3745512)   #170
Skemer
Racer

Netherlands
Aalsmeer
Skemer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the ACO´s plan to spec LMP2 and as a result increasing the interest for LMP1(L) is starting to come together. As seen by the recent rise in interest concerning multiple parties. Also the result in LMP1 in this years Le Mans 24h can boost that interest even more or maybe even convince some to commit for next year.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 15:16 (Ref:3745531)   #171
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skemer View Post
I think the ACO´s plan to spec LMP2 and as a result increasing the interest for LMP1(L) is starting to come together. As seen by the recent rise in interest concerning multiple parties. Also the result in LMP1 in this years Le Mans 24h can boost that interest even more or maybe even convince some to commit for next year.
If Porsche and Toyota withdrawal from LMP1 (which I hope happens), imagine the can of worms that will open up for the demand for LMP1 privateer cars.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 16:25 (Ref:3745540)   #172
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Benoit Morand announces an entry for late 2018 with his own engine

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/le-...is-dactualite/
Old 20 Jun 2017, 18:47 (Ref:3745567)   #173
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
Benoit Morand announces an entry for late 2018 with his own engine

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/le-...is-dactualite/
Wow, hope to see this project make it to the grid. Engine diversity is one of my favorite parts of this formula.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 07:44 (Ref:3745689)   #174
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
edit: moved to the Ginetta LMP1 thread...

Last edited by deggis; 21 Jun 2017 at 08:13.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 08:13 (Ref:3745692)   #175
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I'm skeptical. If this all comes off, we'll have gone from nothing, to an explosion of P1s in a year. Ginetta alone appear to be hoping to field more cars themselves than the current entire P1 class, including factory cars.