Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 21 Jan 2013, 18:20 (Ref:3192351)   #1
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Micro Cars

fieldodreams and I went to the Bruce Weiner Micro Car Museum in Madison, GA. It is the largest collection of it's type in the world but will be going up for auction in its entirety next month. It is a great collection and was a lot of fun to go see.

http://microcarmuseum.com/

Here's a couple pics I snapped there:

Old 21 Jan 2013, 18:58 (Ref:3192374)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post

I gotta get me one of those!!!

That has to be for Garage 56 at Le Mans in 2014!!!
Old 21 Jan 2013, 23:21 (Ref:3192472)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
When I was at school in the late 50s one of the teachers had an Isetta "bubble car" (that's what we called them) and we all used to watch as he got in it as he was almost 7ft tall
Also in my village there was a guy that had a Messerschmitt (the one with tandem seats) and we used to pick it up and put in in the village hall doorway sideways with about an inch to spare.
We never knew how he used to get it out as it took four of us to put it in there !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Jan 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3192666)   #4
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
When I was at school in the late 50s one of the teachers had an Isetta "bubble car" (that's what we called them) and we all used to watch as he got in it as he was almost 7ft tall
Also in my village there was a guy that had a Messerschmitt (the one with tandem seats) and we used to pick it up and put in in the village hall doorway sideways with about an inch to spare.
We never knew how he used to get it out as it took four of us to put it in there !
I recall Harry Schell and his accomplices doing this with a Vespa 400 back in the day - it was placed in a hotel room from what I remember.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 17:14 (Ref:3192801)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When I was very small, my bedroom overlooked the railway lines and we often saw Isettas trundling past being delivered to somewhere..... Bubble cars they were to me too.....
Old 22 Jan 2013, 17:23 (Ref:3192807)   #6
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
When I was very small, my bedroom overlooked the railway lines and we often saw Isettas trundling past being delivered to somewhere..... Bubble cars they were to me too.....
Ah, the good old Suez Crisis and how we all panicked. We were made to believe they were the future, just like electric cars are today.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 17:25 (Ref:3192808)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'd still like one - bubble car, I mean........
Old 22 Jan 2013, 17:40 (Ref:3192815)   #8
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
A lad at my first workplace had a Heinkel and courted his wife-to-be in it. Presumably the relationship wasn't particularly "physical" at that stage.

Wouldn't mind a Messerschmidt Tiger myself - flying machine in more than name.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 18:24 (Ref:3192830)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I don't know, just fitting in one of those things with a lady sounds entirely physical to me.........
Old 22 Jan 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3192863)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Looks like a fascinating museum . . . too bad it wasn't open the day we visited Madison!
Old 23 Jan 2013, 08:57 (Ref:3193081)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
A lad at my first workplace had a Heinkel and courted his wife-to-be in it. Presumably the relationship wasn't particularly "physical" at that stage.
Come off it when you're young and nubile anything is possible !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Jan 2013, 02:08 (Ref:3193500)   #12
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Looks like a fascinating museum . . . too bad it wasn't open the day we visited Madison!
Yeah, it was very cool. The only disappointing thing was he didn't have his Peel P50 on display. He did have a Peel P50 'sport' out, but that's not as cool to me.
Old 24 Jan 2013, 02:16 (Ref:3193502)   #13
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I gotta get me one of those!!!

That has to be for Garage 56 at Le Mans in 2014!!!
I know but I bet traction is an issue. It is a Chevy 502 big block with a ginormous blower. Here is the placard:

Old 24 Jan 2013, 03:48 (Ref:3193529)   #14
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
^ Yeah, my old man said he bet that Isetta had more horsepower than the rest of the cars in the museum combined.

The whole place was good stuff!
Old 2 Feb 2013, 00:17 (Ref:3197827)   #15
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had a Bond Minicar in the family when I was a kid. It had to be the soft top version because at 6' 4", Dad wouldn't fit in the hardtop.The brakes failed going down a steep hill and we had to run into the back of a parked A55 butchers van to stop. The Bond was a write off, the A55 had a broken reflector.

In my teens, the local RAF lads used to buy up any bubble cars, Isettas were favourites, they would use them for (non MSA!) racing on the airfield runways.
Old 2 Feb 2013, 02:25 (Ref:3197887)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Come off it when you're young and nubile anything is possible !

I need to look both of those up.........
Old 9 Feb 2013, 02:58 (Ref:3201550)   #17
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
fieldodreams and I went to the Bruce Weiner Micro Car Museum in Madison, GA.
I am seriously envious! I happened upon a microcar show a few years ago, cool little things and I really liked that people had adopted them. My kind of people! Peels are actually being produced again. At 6'2", I am not really sure one is for me...but I do want a huggable car.

Did you know that the Iso Isetta finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd on the Index of Thermal Efficiency at the 1954 Mille Miglia? That 1000 mile race on the public roads of Italy where those Ferrari, Lancia, Porsche cars ran, also the playground of the mighty Isetta!

http://www.autowallpaper.de/Wallpape...le-miglia-.jpg
Old 10 Feb 2013, 11:42 (Ref:3202362)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Unbelievable!
Old 10 Feb 2013, 14:40 (Ref:3202407)   #19
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
That Isetta set off at 9.00pm the night before the "serious" boys were flagged away at breakfast time the next day. It finished at 7pm the next day, having averaged 70kph. I hope they had ear-plugs.

There's a wonderful photo in Wimpffen's picture-book of a certain Ivo Fanciullini in a self-built tiny GT car powered by a 250 Moto-Guzzi 'bike engine. He reached Rome 6 hours after the winners finished the race. I like optimism and enthusiasm.
Old 10 Feb 2013, 16:17 (Ref:3202436)   #20
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
That Isetta set off at 9.00pm the night before the "serious" boys were flagged away at breakfast time the next day. It finished at 7pm the next day, having averaged 70kph. I hope they had ear-plugs.

There's a wonderful photo in Wimpffen's picture-book of a certain Ivo Fanciullini in a self-built tiny GT car powered by a 250 Moto-Guzzi 'bike engine. He reached Rome 6 hours after the winners finished the race. I like optimism and enthusiasm.
"I like optimism and enthusiasm" Me too! The Fanciullini was also called a Martinella. I have not seen a photo.

These guys in the little cars must have had grand adventures, imagine when the big cars came blasting through!
Old 11 Feb 2013, 19:45 (Ref:3203035)   #21
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
I just thought I would let yall know the auction is this weekend in case there are any phone bidders out there.

http://www.handlewithfun.com/lot-search.cfm
Old 13 Feb 2013, 18:08 (Ref:3204148)   #22
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
There's a collection of micro cars near me:

http://www.3wheelers.com/hammond.html

Some odd stuff there!
Old 15 Feb 2013, 18:06 (Ref:3205435)   #23
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Love these little cars. Remind me of the Bubble car and Bond Bug that used to be round our way when I was little.

Anyway, not much to add.... exceptof course the new 10-10ths Smilie: