Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 24 Mar 2013, 10:53 (Ref:3223593)   #1251
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Why ,what happened with Webber and Red Bull in a nut shell please ?
Most of race: Webber bolts from 5th on grid and with good pace and strategy gets to lead, dominates, extends gap on Vettel until final pistop where after a quick duel he starts Stretching Out again

Post-Pit Stop: Red Bull orders Webber to slow down to save tires/the car/whatever while promising Vettel would not pass as they also ordered Vettel to slow down and NOT PASS WEBBER.

Then, Webber follows the team orders and Vettel disobeys the team orders, passing Mark while he is (by orders) slowing down to save tires, screwing Mark Webber out of a race he had won.

Even stupider is Vettel almost wrecked both cars on the pit straight while at 180 mph.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 11:14 (Ref:3223619)   #1252
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Webber went against team orders in the past as well, but we all know the Silverstone story. I think he'll still be in F1 after this year and if so it won't be with RB.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3223993)   #1253
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Webber went against team orders in the past as well, but we all know the Silverstone story. I think he'll still be in F1 after this year and if so it won't be with RB.
He still has the talent to race in F1 for many years. That's not the issue. It's a case of where does he go if the Red Bull seat becomes untenable?

There aren't many free seats out there for drivers with no budget. He doesn't strike me as a guy who will try and scrape together funding. So let's see.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 12:13 (Ref:3228512)   #1254
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche has a lot of LMP drivers, and it's not necessary to bring former-F1 drivers in the team. They may only take Webber and Heidefeld to reinforce the team, but I don't think those drivers would be basic to win. Endurance is as hard as formula 1, and now drivers are specialized. A winning f1 driver may be only a gregarious in endurance, as well an endurance drivers may be no a winner in formula 1.The period when drivers were competitive in both classes are over.
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 3 Apr 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3228526)   #1255
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
Porsche has a lot of LMP drivers.
I would dispute this fact to be honest. They have a couple - but certainly not enough to make a two-car team at Le Mans, let alone three.

If people think the likes of Bergmeister, Lieb and Long and going to be driving the P1 they are dreaming in my opinion.

They have guys on their roster who I think could make the step up (Vernay being the one that comes most to mind) but I think they will need to go out and buy some talent.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3228531)   #1256
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
More thoughts on Webber to Porsche :

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-17090.html
Old 3 Apr 2013, 15:31 (Ref:3228612)   #1257
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
Porsche has a lot of LMP drivers, and it's not necessary to bring former-F1 drivers in the team. They may only take Webber and Heidefeld to reinforce the team, but I don't think those drivers would be basic to win. Endurance is as hard as formula 1, and now drivers are specialized. A winning f1 driver may be only a gregarious in endurance, as well an endurance drivers may be no a winner in formula 1.The period when drivers were competitive in both classes are over.
While I agree about specialization, I think that LMP1 cars are the closest top level cars to F1. If we were talking about Mark going to av8sc, dtm, IndyCar, NASCAR, or even GT I would agree 100% but I don't see much reason why a modern driver couldn't be competitive in f1 and then LMP1.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 16:12 (Ref:3228633)   #1258
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185 View Post
While I agree about specialization, I think that LMP1 cars are the closest top level cars to F1. If we were talking about Mark going to av8sc, dtm, IndyCar, NASCAR, or even GT I would agree 100% but I don't see much reason why a modern driver couldn't be competitive in f1 and then LMP1.
F1 drivers take a while to adjust to the endurance mind set. You go from being an individual to an equal of three; your two team-mates are for 6, 12 or 24 hours almost an extension of yourself. So you don't hold information back any more.

On top of that, you have to learn about traffic. You have to learn to drive with little sleep. You have to learn to get into a car that might behave completely differently on a completely different track to the one you drove in your last stint.

All F1 drivers that come to LMP racing are quick straight away, but there's more to it than that. F1 drivers often make mistakes that the experienced LM pros wouldn't at first.

The performance levels of F1 and LMP aren't miles apart (although the way they achieve their speed is slightly different), but that's not the thing the drivers have to get used to. That's one of few similarities between F1 and LMP1.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 17:15 (Ref:3228666)   #1259
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
F1 drivers take a while to adjust to the endurance mind set.
I don't think it's as easy as making a generalisation like that; some do take to it and some don't. I was surprised with Nakajima's pace last year, I wasn't expecting that.

Ever driver has different strengths and weaknesses though; it's not a case of simply saying A is faster than B, therefore is better - that's like saying the footballer with the best shooting ability is the best player.

The crucial thing is looking at the attributes and seeing which would cope best. Someone quick in F1 may be quick in a prototype, but not have the consistency, the ability to compromise on setups or the ability in constant traffic required, but similarly they may do that naturally.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the way Audi have brought drivers from all sorts of 'slower' disciplines together and competed man-for-man with the ex-F1 brigade Peugeot had.

Webber's a little different though; he has the experience of prototype competition. He may be a little more senior, but he's proven his abilities to cope with it before - I'd suggest this, more than anything, is why Porsche will be certainly considering him.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 17:27 (Ref:3228672)   #1260
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think Mr Webber will have to decide himself what he wants to do, he has no worries about money and would be a great asset to any team and sports car racing so he would be welcomed by any team but does he have the desire to continue in motor racing or does he see his ambition taking him elsewhere. Meet him once on a visit to testing at silverstone in the jaguar era and he was a very nice person as well as a great driver
Old 3 Apr 2013, 18:36 (Ref:3228710)   #1261
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
I don't think it's as easy as making a generalisation like that; some do take to it and some don't. I was surprised with Nakajima's pace last year, I wasn't expecting that.
Nakajima had two years in Super GT between F1 and LMP1, let's not forget that.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 18:48 (Ref:3228714)   #1262
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have yet to see one F1 driver in the last decade that has been a complete failure when he comes over to sports cars, especially LMPs.

We give them a hard time because they often run into cars when they first get into the LMP like Kaz did at Le Mans this year, but who hasn't? Remember Andre Lotterer's and Marcel Fassler's first season with Audi? McNish has been in Sports cars for decades and he runs into far more cars than any of the current F1 crop like Kaz, Buemi and Davidson.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3228716)   #1263
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Let us hope Grosjean stays away from sportscar racing!
Old 3 Apr 2013, 19:00 (Ref:3228719)   #1264
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Let us hope Grosjean stays away from sportscar racing!
Uh... I seem to recall he did rather well in his short 4-month stint with Matech in GT1 and at Le Mans.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 19:00 (Ref:3228720)   #1265
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Why is anybody worried about Grosjean, Nakajima or ANY Formula 1 driver when we allow talentless hacks like the Pierguiseppe Perazzini and Keiko Ihara into one of the world's most prestigious and more importantly dangerous races in the world as mobile chicanes to 200 mph prototypes?
Old 3 Apr 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3228726)   #1266
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Note to self:
don't make silly jokes about stuff you don't know everything about

On topic:
I think Webber will be an asset when/if he joins Porsche or any other top LMP team. Can't think he enjoys going to work nowadays, so the rumours might be true.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 21:32 (Ref:3228789)   #1267
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Not that many F1 drivers i would be happy to see in the LMP1 class but Webber would be welcome
Old 3 Apr 2013, 21:46 (Ref:3228797)   #1268
Number7
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
Number7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Why is anybody worried about Grosjean, Nakajima or ANY Formula 1 driver when we allow talentless hacks like the Pierguiseppe Perazzini and Keiko Ihara into one of the world's most prestigious and more importantly dangerous races in the world as mobile chicanes to 200 mph prototypes?
Well said!
Old 3 Apr 2013, 21:46 (Ref:3228798)   #1269
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
More thoughts on Webber to Porsche :

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-17090.html
"German newspaper Bild", stop reading. Yesterday I saw the original story and it was just repeating the earlier rumors, wasn't even worth posting. And generally I can't think of a more untrustworthy source of motorsport news than Bild. I-E should have just ignored this.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 22:09 (Ref:3228812)   #1270
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Nakajima had two years in Super GT between F1 and LMP1, let's not forget that.
Lotterer and Duval had Super GT experience as well, plus Nakajima currently does Super Formula (Formula Nippon) and according to his blog they have higher cornering speeds than F1 . LMP1's have probably about the same amount of speed through those high speed turns but are 300kg heavier, so the difference is the lower speed stuff and probably the acceleration. F1 to LMP1 isn't that huge of a difference. The Audi and Toyota would have been on the HRT's tail through a lot of the tracks they share!
Old 3 Apr 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3228816)   #1271
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I think Webber would fit well into Porsche, unlike at Red Bull its not centred around one driver like with Vettel at RBR, its all about Porsche win, doesnt matter who wins as long as Porsche wins at the end of the day thats all Porsche cares about.

Hes a team player, hes not perfect but hes overwhelmingly moreso a team player then a rebel so thats another plus for him. Im sure he'd be fast and consistent, assuming the Porsche LMP1 will be a good car-we can assume that given how much staff and resources Porsche are throwing at the car and their experience at Le Mans.

But that question remains-does he want to do sportscar racing? Only Mark Webber knows that and we wont know anything until the new year at least. Who knows he might stay on in F1 for another year if he feels competitive and supported by the team.

I really hope he does sportscars because then we'll have more coverage of the sport down here in Australia.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 22:21 (Ref:3228819)   #1272
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
http://www.pitpass.com/48383-Exclusi...-Porsche-links

(I think already posted) Probably the best story about this so far, which isn't much, but at least it has a polite denial comment from Webber himself.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 22:48 (Ref:3228826)   #1273
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's no doubting the talent of Mr Webber. If Porsche were to get him, he would be an asset. He's no mug and would surely grasp the concept of endurance racing, having dabbled in it in the past. Now, there's only one problem...... that F1 attitude, but I'm sure they'd beat it out of him in no time. After all, they are Porsche!
It would be great to have another Aussie in LMP1, although by all reports on the credibility of the German rag that started this latest rumor, it looks only remotely possible.
I'm thinking that the 2014 LMP1 Porsche driver roster would be already in place, and am leaning more to some of the existing factory guys being in the cars. Lieb is the golden haired boy over there isn't he? I know his LMP race experience would be practically nonexistent, but surely he would be doing a lot of the testing for them.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3228841)   #1274
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I thought Webber was going to Renault? (SORRY)

He did some endurance racing before with Mercedes, I think he has the experience.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 01:20 (Ref:3228861)   #1275
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I thought Webber was going to Renault? (SORRY)

He did some endurance racing before with Mercedes, I think he has the experience.
Nope, he's subbing for Denny Hamiln at JGR.

I thought he went to Mercedes to get his pilot's license?