Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 3 Aug 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1672465)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Twin Banking Concept

We have all tried with varying degrees of success to create workable Rovals. For this concept, I decided to think outside the box (or Oval) and have come up with a circuit in which the turns from the Oval circuit are off-set.

To make life easy for myself, I decided that the banking wouldn't be too severe making a Road course set-up work, much like at Milwaukee. To avoid a cross over, one of the banked turns goes "the Wrong way" it's right handed.

The 2 banked turns are of constant radius, with 12 degrees of banking (Milwaukee has 10 degrees), and last aproximately 1/3 of a mile each. The idea isn't for a second groove to be established but allow for a good draft through the apex before a trailing car can pull out making for good overtaking either before or braking for the next corner.

The overall circuit length is 3.5 - 4 miles, and runs Anti clockwise (ie right to left on the pit straight and left handed on the first banked corner.

As usual comments, criticisms, and edits are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Offset Banking.jpg  
Old 3 Aug 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1672489)   #2
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the top section a lot. But the bottom left part seems a bit too twisty there. But that's just my opinion.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 22:24 (Ref:1672641)   #3
Helicon_One
Rookie

Helicon_One should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't the point of a roval to allow a longer road course circuit based around a real driveable oval? If the 'oval' part doesn't exist because the banked corners are offset, its not a roval, its just a road course with a couple of banked corners (which is not a bad thing, in itself).

Its fairly easy to turn this into a 'true' roval just by lining up the banked corners and filling in the gaps, so I have done, to see how it looks:

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
SBFroval.jpg  
Old 3 Aug 2006, 22:54 (Ref:1672658)   #4
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
...which I think works a lot better than the original, Helicon.

As for Nicky's initial thoughts I think the idea could have used a slightly more imaginative outfield section.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 14:26 (Ref:1674147)   #5
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The concept of having a banked left-turn and a banked right-turn each on a roval is a nice one, SBF. I also like the slow section with the hairpin from your design. Still, it's Helicon's version that turns this track into a roval.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1689897)   #6
pgm
Rookie

pgm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are too much turns, but the idea is not bad.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1690933)   #7
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Helicon's edit works much better, interesting format for a circuit.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1691329)   #8
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about an 8-shaped 'oval'? It would have one left-hander and one right-hander and a bridge in the middle of the straights. Do you think that would be possible - or rather hilarious?
Old 25 Aug 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1691472)   #9
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick
How about an 8-shaped 'oval'? It would have one left-hander and one right-hander and a bridge in the middle of the straights. Do you think that would be possible - or rather hilarious?
Where would you put the pit lane?