Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 21 Nov 2001, 19:33 (Ref:177391)   #1
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Photography passes

Next season, I am planning to do some 'pro-photography', but for this I will need trackside photography. Can anyone recommend a particular circuit which is good for availability of passes/good photography positions.

Cheers

Andy
Old 21 Nov 2001, 20:01 (Ref:177410)   #2
Alan
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK
Alan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd recommend Cadwell and Mallory - you can get in some good positions with no problems of fences and mesh obscuring the view.
It all depends on which events you are interested in. Motocross is fast, spectacular and you can get VERY close to the action. There are tracks all over the country and passes are not necessary to get in good positions.
Old 22 Nov 2001, 09:56 (Ref:177626)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
brands hatch has some fantastic places where you can take pictures without fences obstructing your vision thanks to lovely gradients and hills and the like. you will need a 400-500mm lens to get the best ones.

oulton park has some good spots, for example on the run up to the chicane you can get some good panning shots.

rockingham is pants for photography except in-pit lane stuff and that right hander that's the only right hander on the track, so everyone gets all hectic (this is on the historic circuit).
Old 22 Nov 2001, 10:07 (Ref:177628)   #4
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Mondello has some great spots for photography - just let us know if you're coming over
Old 22 Nov 2001, 10:18 (Ref:177630)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
(ooh yeah - for passes, rockingham are usually good. the guy in charge of pr is a very good bloke, and so long as you have good intentions he should be accomodating)
Old 22 Nov 2001, 17:09 (Ref:177771)   #6
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
(ooh yeah - for passes, rockingham are usually good. the guy in charge of pr is a very good bloke, and so long as you have good intentions he should be accomodating)
Is that Neil?
Old 22 Nov 2001, 17:49 (Ref:177794)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Don't even bother trying for Donington passes - total nightmare... we had more luck getting passes for events such as the Le Mans 24hrs, Daytona 24hrs, Indy 500, various CART races and ALMS than we did with Donny!

I can't recall a single problem getting passes from any of the BHLG/Octagon circuits, bar once at Oulton but that was due to an error I think.

On bigger events you may need to go direct to the series organisers or their agent - BTCC/TOCATour use Jardine PR and the old Powertour uses David Addison but they will require you to have a letter of acreditation and be able to show examples of your work before they'll even consider you, and in any case would refer you back to the individual circuit press officer if you were applying for one single race meeting rather than a pass for the entire season.

I'd suggest covering one or two club meetings at each circuit to find your feet (and the best photo opportunities!) before attempting to cover anything more major. If nothing else, at least you stand a good chance of flogging your wares to the drivers at clubbies...!
Old 22 Nov 2001, 17:58 (Ref:177796)   #8
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a few 'simple' of ways to get passes. Get accredited by the MSA or send an editor's letter to the circuit/organisers or do some work for an agency.
I can get passes for all non-F1 races and shows through these methods.
Old 22 Nov 2001, 22:47 (Ref:177902)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Don't even bother trying for Donington passes - total nightmare... we had more luck getting passes for events such as the Le Mans 24hrs,
Craig, inevitably my ears pricked up (metaphorically speaking) when I read this! What's the chances of an amateur photographer, absolutely crazy about Le Mans and with a Le Mans web-site, getting a photography pass for 2002?
Old 23 Nov 2001, 16:22 (Ref:178135)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Drop me an email and I could have a couple of ideas which will help...
Old 23 Nov 2001, 18:02 (Ref:178183)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks Craig, will do.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 14:03 (Ref:553795)   #12
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When I made an inquiry to Mallory Park I was advised:
I would need a letter of accreditation from a newspaper or magazines to say that I was covering a meeting for them - 2 weeks before the meeting if possible.
I was also advised that it wouldn't be possible if I was freelancing but that if the images were being used by an internet site the request would be dealt with on its merits.
Of course you can take perfectly good pictures at Mallory without having trackside access as there are no fences to speak of (a few high hoardings at the entrance to the Esses and thats it)
Old 31 Mar 2003, 18:34 (Ref:554039)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
yeah that sounds pretty standard across the circuits. the requirements are anyway. whether mallory would accept a local newspaper where octagon might not i don't know.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 18:54 (Ref:554063)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm still hoping for a pass at Le Mans

I've been taking pictures there since 1986 and the shots in recent years aren't a patch on those I took years ago, simply because the b****y debris fencing ruins so many shots. Over the past 5 years or so I've got to know where fences end and begin again - there's a small gap on the inside on what used to be the hillock at the start of the Esses - I took some reasonable shots from there last year - but in most places you just have to snap away and hope for the best.

It was so good at the Le Mans Classic in September last year. With my "Assistance" pass I had free access to the pits all weekend - marvellous!
Old 31 Mar 2003, 20:00 (Ref:554153)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
ayse - have you got any credentials? have you emailed a massive grovel yet?
Old 31 Mar 2003, 21:59 (Ref:554280)   #16
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm pretty certain Mallory would accept local papers...they are interested in anything that will promote the circuit effectively...I've got to check out whos racing this year. The Historic FF champ for the last two years comes from my town and I've seen little or no news about him in the local rag so I may approach them for a letter
Old 31 Mar 2003, 23:53 (Ref:554376)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
do - if they reckon it'd be worth a mention they should give you a letter no problem.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 19:16 (Ref:556339)   #18
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What many would be motorsport photographers dont realise is that the circuits are bombarded with photographers trying to get in on the act (this is not a go at you just a metaphor)at present the RAC MSA who have a Media pass system have about 3000 odd that have been sent passes this year! Trying to convince a circuit or the RAC that you can supply something that 1 of these 3000 cant is extremely hard work. Fortunately I started when there wasnt a quarter of that number. The next hurdle is then getting yourself known to the mags/papers...it also seems that some people are prepared to do stuff for nothing, just a credit in a mag but this seems to backfire sometimes as it shows you are not a professional and just out to see your name in print! One of my pictures 2 years ago (in the Sun, they offered me £200 and I said no, I want £2000 and they said ok!)brought me in £3.500 but thats a different story! Once you get a pass then most circuits are very good-the worst must be Sliverstone National circuit unless its mid summer as there is only two places to take pictures from. Bella...Rockingham with a pass is brilliant! Iv'e had some superb pics from the inside and the press officer is a top bloke...if you can convince him that you are doing it for the media!!
Old 2 Apr 2003, 19:29 (Ref:556350)   #19
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said "Baz".

Your right about Rockingham and the press officer there.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 06:08 (Ref:556803)   #20
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
so what you're saying Baz is you really need to crack the RAC MSA Media Pass System (reading up the thread thats exactly what SNH says too...doh!)

Last edited by PaulSands; 3 Apr 2003 at 06:10.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 07:25 (Ref:556878)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
ayse - have you got any credentials? have you emailed a massive grovel yet?
No, no credentials as such. The only place I've been published is in the recently published new book on Mario Anderetti. Are you suggesting I e-mail the ACO?
Old 3 Apr 2003, 20:49 (Ref:557704)   #22
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul, getting an RAC MSA pass is tough! Basically you have to show proof ie: cuttings/photocopies of work with your name on showing that you covered at laest 12 different meetings last year!! Approach a local paper-thats virtually your only choice!!
Old 4 Apr 2003, 06:35 (Ref:557972)   #23
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
so wads of cash left in paper bags in country lay byes wont work then?

Last edited by PaulSands; 4 Apr 2003 at 06:36.
Old 17 Apr 2003, 10:00 (Ref:571929)   #24
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I just blagged a letter of acreditation from my local rag on account of me saying I was following the Historic Formula Fords this year (not a lie as I tend to go to most of the HSCC meets) and double champ Neil Fowler living in same town as me.