Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Feb 2008, 07:59 (Ref:2128506)   #1
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Targa Tasmania goes AASA???

Well the best kept secret in motorsport so far in 2008 has finally broke cover.

I found this competitor release posted on the Brindabella Motorsport Club Forum but cannot find a direct link to the info BUT the Targa web site now refers to AASA insurance in the competitor regs.

Dear Valued Competitor,

After much consideration, evaluation and negotiation we have decided to obtain our event permit and insurance cover through the AASA for the 2008 and 2009 Targa Tasmania events.

There are many reasons for this change, largely related to the ongoing commercial viability of Targa Tasmania coupled with the desire to continue to provide you with the Ultimate Tarmac Rally each year.

To reflect this point, we would again have had to pass on an Insurance Levy of $600 per entry if we renewed in line with our previous arrangements and we felt that this could only have had a negative impact on entry numbers and hence put further pressure on the event.

I can confirm that all due diligence has been carried out on the insurance provided by AASA and the cover is at least equivalent to our previous policy and in a number of instances actually provides the event greater flexibility and protection for all parties.

Naturally, this change creates some additional administration in the short term but we are very pleased to advise that we are able to manage the majority of this paperwork internally. Your actual AASA National Racing Licence will be handed to you at the Licence check point at Documentation and your Vehicle Passport will be in your Road Book Pack. We need some additional information from you and Kylie has already contacted you for this.

We are also pleased to advise that we have negotiated an “introductory price” licence fee of $75 inc GST (Tour $25 inc GST) with the AASA combined with Vehicle Passport’s being issued free of charge, which is a saving of $450 per entry on the Insurance Levy that was due to be applied for the upcoming event. Naturally, the licence is valid for 2008 at all AASA Rally Events.

This change will be managed in a seamless way to ensure that you are not distracted from your event preparation. In saying that, if you do require an AASA licence or Passport before you arrive for the event, please do not hesitate to contact Kylie at Kylie.benson@octagon.com and you will be issued with one asap at the same discounted price quoted above.

As the basis for the current Tarmac Rally Regulations were drawn up using our Targa Tasmania Regulations, the current rules will continue to apply for ease of transition and to ensure that no one is disadvantaged or likewise provided with an advantage.

The link below will provide you with the Supplementary Regulations

http://www.targa.com.au/Competitors/...gulations.html

In closing, as always if you have any questions please email me these and I will answer them in a timely manner.

We look forward to seeing you all in 60 days for the 17th running of Targa Tasmania
Old 14 Feb 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2128580)   #2
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Combine this with the oft quoted "impending demise" of V8 $upercars, the Sub-prime finance crisis, the fact I had to download Underbelly from a P2P internet site just to watch it, the forthcoming US recession, GM's recent 40 + billion dollar loss, more local interest rate rises, my local sandwich shop putting up the price of my usual roast beef roll by 50c, the political unrest in East Timor, the Indian cricket team, and the fact I stubbed my toe yesterday:
I'd just about say that Australian motorsport is almost totally stuffed....

Sorry was that

Who gives a toss about where Targa source their insurance.

With Octagon being a commercial entity, it is in their stakeholders interest that they find the best commercial deal.

AASA, AAMI, Alliance, Shannons, CAM$, and even Lloyd's of London all offer to insure you.

Who you choose is your commercial right, be it house, car, commercial, PL, or motorsport event insurance; and the sooner some people realise that, the better off motorsport might be........
Old 14 Feb 2008, 10:48 (Ref:2128599)   #3
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know what party the Boys from Malvern were holding when this brole cover? They always seems to be having a party or two when these announcements are made, so this shouldn't be any different
Old 14 Feb 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2128602)   #4
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker

Combine this with the oft quoted "impending demise" of V8 $upercars, the Sub-prime finance crisis, the fact I had to download Underbelly from a P2P internet site just to watch it, the forthcoming US recession, GM's recent 40 + billion dollar loss, more local interest rate rises, my local sandwich shop putting up the price of my usual roast beef roll by 50c, the political unrest in East Timor, the Indian cricket team, and the fact I stubbed my toe yesterday:

Sorry was that

With Octagon being a commercial entity, it is in their stakeholders interest that they find the best commercial deal.

AASA, AAMI, Alliance, Shannons, CAM$, and even Lloyd's of London all offer to insure you.

Who you choose is your commercial right, be it house, car, commercial, PL, or motorsport event insurance; and the sooner some people realise that, the better off motorsport might be........
Sorry to hear about your toe Uncle C....

my question is:

Will the supp regs say CAMS, AASA, Weety Box packet etc licence holders will all be eligible to run and be covered by said insurance (assuming you have coughed up for the passport)
Old 14 Feb 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2128654)   #5
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You are actually closer to the mark than you think Uncle!

For a start we need to get rid of a firey firey before there is any chance of a future.

Then there are a number of others that have to be evicted from the gravy train.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 14:17 (Ref:2128743)   #6
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Sorry was that

Ok, I am going to come out and say this - I have been a little nagative towards the AASA in the past, but this is what I see as a positive.

An entity that is already set up with sound regulations and formats, saving their competitors ALOT of money (Well, not much for Jim, but alot for Joe (Bloggs) Around the corner with an XU1 he wants to drive).

So, despite previous posts about the AASA and how their "come as you are" policies can be negative in some aspects, this is infact a positive thing for all involved. So I do give a toss - but in a positive sense! (As I guess you do as well)

Also, a one off licence fee that is good for other events the year round? Thats a pretty good price!
Old 14 Feb 2008, 22:31 (Ref:2129178)   #7
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rumour has it that last week CAMS being the nice guys that they are, rang Octagon and offered them a 50% reduction on the this years bill. Octagon must have felt shafted as Classic Adelaide got more than a 50% reduction for going back to CAMS. Just the discount fee CAMS was offering was significant I work it out at around 2% of their total revenue. Therefore Targa did make up 5% of CAMS total revenue.

Unfortunately for CAMS it was still more expensive than AASA and CAMS has significantly higher oncost of running as well.

So the moral of the story. If you’re paying CAMS for something ring 1800-Do a Deal and get your 50% off now. If they won't give you 50% off then you know were you stand with CAMS compared to these other organisations and you should be looking else were anyway.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 01:39 (Ref:2132987)   #8
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ronke
rumour has it that last week CAMS being the nice guys that they are, rang Octagon and offered them a 50% reduction on the this years bill. Octagon must have felt shafted as Classic Adelaide got more than a 50% reduction for going back to CAMS. Just the discount fee CAMS was offering was significant I work it out at around 2% of their total revenue. Therefore Targa did make up 5% of CAMS total revenue.

Unfortunately for CAMS it was still more expensive than AASA and CAMS has significantly higher oncost of running as well.

So the moral of the story. If you’re paying CAMS for something ring 1800-Do a Deal and get your 50% off now. If they won't give you 50% off then you know were you stand with CAMS compared to these other organisations and you should be looking else were anyway.

So just a quick question Matthew; has the 1800-redundancy number been established to provide counselling for those poor souls who will join the un-employment queue's in the coming week's ?
Old 20 Feb 2008, 06:53 (Ref:2133075)   #9
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts300
You are actually closer to the mark than you think Uncle!

For a start we need to get rid of a firey firey before there is any chance of a future.

Then there are a number of others that have to be evicted from the gravy train.
Any chance you can fill in the places for us ordinary fans of the sport .. is the cryptic approach, why ?
Old 20 Feb 2008, 08:35 (Ref:2133120)   #10
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People like to talk in riddles cavvy, just in case they are wrong. Most times I know/understand what the riddles mean, but even these ones leave me behind. I must be too long out of the system already - LOL.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 09:10 (Ref:2133156)   #11
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not wrong on this

firey firey is the ceo
the others are two appointed directors the president

IE - the all need to go
Old 22 Feb 2008, 00:01 (Ref:2134622)   #12
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruce Polain is reporting that CAMS are attempting to levy a $93,000 'cancellation fee' on Targa Tasmania because they are going with AASA instead of CAMS.

If this is the case, is it any wonder that event organisers have reason to be sceptical about CAMS intentions with motor sport in general?

Or is CAMS getting worried that their income stream is going to start dwindling more and more and are now clutching at straws in an attempt to 'pursuade' these organisers that they should stay with them?
Old 22 Feb 2008, 00:20 (Ref:2134632)   #13
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More typical bully-boy tactics. Trying to scare them, I would say.

I hope the organisers take CAMS to Court over it