Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 18 Apr 2003, 12:20 (Ref:573073)   #1
CharlesF
Rookie

CharlesF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheets in the Wind

Hello to All,

We were in our warehouse yesterday doing some spring cleaning when we came across three large packages wrapped in thick cardboard. These were obviously prints but whoever sat them there forgot to mark them. So we opened them up to find some large number of artist-signed prints of a painting we commissioned a while back. Some of the edges were beginning to suffer so we got them out of the packing and loaded them into a flat file drawer. That is when it really hit me just how many copies of this print we still had.

When publishers and artists discuss putting a painting into print, we bandy numbers back and forth, pondering should we do 350? 500? 750? 850? During this time we mainly are punching up the calculator, trying to find the most viable financial formula which would allow the project to go forward. But what about after we go to press and the prints get delivered? Then we have a rather prodigious stack of sheets of paper, numbering in the hundreds, for which a home needs to be found for each.

We are currently negotiating with a painter who wishes us to commit to producing a certain number of editions per year. So for sake of example, let's say we agreed to do four, one per quarter, and did runs of 500. That is 2,000 sheets of homeless paper which we have to put into the market for motorsports art, right along with everybody else's homeless paper. \

Seems like a lot when you look at it that way, doesnt' it?

Thanks for reading,

Charles Fleming, General Sales Manager
Freck's Auto Art, Inc.

www.frecksautoart.com