Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 9 Dec 2000, 15:05 (Ref:51734)   #1
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, now what is it with this genuine dislike of GP around here? I know you all seem to hold in in the same level of respect as Luke Hines, but surely he's not that bad? Never having met him I can't comment, but I don't see why you all dislike a genuinely successful British driver.

Now sure he came into F3 scholarship and cleaned up because he was running a car light-years ahead of the rest of the class, but he must only have got the money to do that through actually being vaguely good? No-one's going to pour cash into a Big Black Hole without some justification, and Fred Goddard and his team wouldn't have done it if they weren't fairly sure GP was going to run at the front constantly.

So can someone please explain why it is you all seem to dislike him? Is he just extremely rude or arrogant, did he knock your driver off the track once, or is there some other reason??
Old 9 Dec 2000, 16:47 (Ref:51739)   #2
Sarah_I
Rookie

Sarah_I should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK if u wanna know y... here r my reasons

1: his incident at thruxton with mb, which wasn't as much his fault as i first thought, but still not fair. this is the main reason, and probably makes everything else seem ten times worse in my eyes!
2: the way he acts around the paddock. having seen him almost every race weekend last season, his general attitude annoyed me. has anyone else seen the way he over exaggerates everything and uses massive hand motions to explain things? watching him talk just makes me laugh.
3: his 'all-weather' sunglasses. which always come out even in the pouring rain. what does that tell you about the man.

so basically the man drives me mad. i've only ever had 2 conversations with him. one was an arguement, the other was when i decided i should apologise.
he may b a really nice bloke, and nothing against him, anybody who knows or supports him, but that is just how he has come across to me. i admit he is a very good driver. and i'm really really glad he is british and i hope he goes all the way.
i'll b interested 2 hear what others think.

Sarah
Old 10 Dec 2000, 15:06 (Ref:51858)   #3
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I am right in saying that he got most of his cash by winning the Autosport young driver of the year for 1999.
Which shows he has some talent, but he's still an Arse

It was fun seeing him dump a fiesta into the gravel @ Silverstone
Old 10 Dec 2000, 18:39 (Ref:51869)   #4
cool_runnings8
Racer

cool_runnings8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I've interviewed him several times and I have to say he is one of the nicest drivers I have spoken too.

I saw him at almost every race weekend last season as well, but I can't say I've ever seen him acting like the 'big star'.

Not sure where he's got the reputation he has around here, but from personal experience, I reckon it's a bit harsh 'cos he's a nice guy and a great racer.

As for the hand waving...come on - how many drivers do that!!
Old 10 Dec 2000, 21:05 (Ref:51877)   #5
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im quite good friends with him cos hes such a nice guy and he really is a top racer.

(we are talking about Gary not Luke aren't we)
Old 10 Dec 2000, 22:12 (Ref:51888)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Do you not like Lukey baby then, Mackmot ? I hear a rumour linking him with Mackie for next season... is this a load of old BS ? If not, how do you feel anout this ?
Old 11 Dec 2000, 10:13 (Ref:51925)   #7
MichaelC
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Purnell
I think I am right in saying that he got most of his cash by winning the Autosport young driver of the year for 1999.
Which shows he has some talent, but he's still an Arse

It was fun seeing him dump a fiesta into the gravel @ Silverstone
I think this post sums up my point quite nicely.
Yes he collected the 50K cheque for McLaren Autosport YDOTY, which (along with the title) helped his career along quite nicely.
You can't say he's quite talented (which is obvious) then say "He's still an arse" without backing it up with some form of fact...

Old 11 Dec 2000, 10:14 (Ref:51926)   #8
MichaelC
Veteran

Oh, and just so I know for next season, why don't we like Luke Hines either??
Old 11 Dec 2000, 11:04 (Ref:51927)   #9
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luke Hines is a mad man, enough said!
Old 11 Dec 2000, 19:14 (Ref:51972)   #10
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone who stood on Hilltop at Oulton Park and saw Luke Hines in the Junior Formula Ford will happily confirm that Luke Hines is certifiable!!!
Luke - note for future reference, you cannot overtake a car by trying to drive underneath it!!!!!!
Old 11 Dec 2000, 19:58 (Ref:51990)   #11
Sarah_I
Rookie

Ok well, the hand waving, from what I've seen is usually very OTT from Garry, and quite amusing to watch.
I'm sure he is a really nice guy, but the impression I get from a distance isn't good.
Old 11 Dec 2000, 20:03 (Ref:51991)   #12
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
It is true he is driving for us but that is non of my doing
Old 11 Dec 2000, 21:16 (Ref:51994)   #13
cool_runnings8
Racer

cool_runnings8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Think that's just the adrenaline making its presence known... Can't say his hand waving has ever bothered me anyway!! Not even noticed it to be honest.
Old 11 Dec 2000, 21:23 (Ref:51997)   #14
Sarah_I
Rookie

ok well his hand waving doesn't bother me as such as make me laugh. honestly, watch out for it. But if i'm honest, i do think all this could stem from my argument with him at thruxton. just b4 i went to 'speak' to him that day, he was waving his hands about showing how the contact was made with mb, and ohhh how stupid he looks when he does it.
but has ne1 else noticed the all-weather sunglasses?
Old 12 Dec 2000, 23:39 (Ref:52177)   #15
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
The only reason you notice his hands is cos they are sooo big and he has to where the glasses cos he is sponsored by Oakley.

The only thing laughable about him is his Laugh. Next time you see him tell him a joke and you'll see what I mean.

Old 13 Dec 2000, 21:49 (Ref:52301)   #16
Sarah_I
Rookie

trust me, its not the size of his hands, its what he does with them.
its quite funny tho, coz the first time i met garry, as soon as i walked away, i said to my friend 'did u see the size of his hands?!?!?'
Sarah
x
Old 17 Dec 2000, 02:34 (Ref:52901)   #17
project fresh
Rookie

project fresh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luke

Why are you all so against him, We think he should deserve a fair chance, I was personally much with him involved with the team I worked for this year and must say that Luke had it not easy in his own team, only one car team, no data from a teammate, also at Brands he was at front but a problem saw him sidelined.
So be not so harsh< I think with Mackie, who I like very much they do a graet job, give him a chance, wait and see, he will be up there.

We wish Luke all the best.

Project Fresh, Rob Potharst, Yonny Weeden
Old 17 Dec 2000, 08:11 (Ref:52938)   #18
Sarah_I
Rookie

Its nothing against Garyy and his driving, I think he is a good driver and will do well. As for Luke Hines, I've never met him before, but if he's a good young Brit. then I'll want him to do well.