Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Sep 2011, 16:04 (Ref:2958103)   #1
Postie
Rookie

Wales
Leicester
Postie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Post maps at sign on

Being very new at this and not knowing where most of the posts are i was pleasantly surprised after visiting rockingham. There at sign on was a large map with all the post numbers written on it, wouldn't it be avoid idea if every circuit had/did this........apologies to those circuits that already do this....
Old 19 Sep 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2958104)   #2
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postie View Post
Being very new at this and not knowing where most of the posts are i was pleasantly surprised after visiting rockingham. There at sign on was a large map with all the post numbers written on it, wouldn't it be avoid idea if every circuit had/did this........apologies to those circuits that already do this....
That might be a good idea, although to be honest, anyone in Orange is only too happy to point you in the right direction (you might even be lucky and pick someone on the same post!)

Somewhere round here, is a link to a whole host of Google maps showing Post locations at various circuits - I'll let the others post them as I dont have access to them at the minute.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2958128)   #3
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
id agree its a good idea as surely half the CM job in the morning is explaining how to get to a post for a newbie! rockingham though ive never visited yet, what ive heard is a very courteous circuit towards marshals, most of them are in their own little ways but they seem, by the sounds of it to have implemented a lot of good ideas, the race order thing is such a simple but very helpful (and expensive!) idea to help flaggers, be interesting to have a race with loads of pitstops and the like there, then itd really come in handy.

there's load of little things circuits can do to help marshals, theyll slowly come, im sure, some things have probably been mentioned a million times before, theyre usually the things as we all know that gets brought in last!
Old 19 Sep 2011, 17:17 (Ref:2958136)   #4
David Owen
Racer

David Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Cadwell Park we have photocopied maps with post numbers on them which are available to anyone who has a need for them (Surprising how many times certain regulars need a little assistance).

It is a good idea and I cannot claim that it is mine, just something along with the free tea / coffee and biscuits we always like to do for those special folk who come to marshal with us.

(Maps will be available at the end of season 750 finale on 8th & 9th October too).

Old 19 Sep 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2958144)   #5
stephen0183
Rookie

England
Nottinghamshire
stephen0183 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
rockingham though ive never visited yet, what ive heard is a very courteous circuit towards marshals,
Rockingham's easy... you have the map at signon, or the other alternative is hop on the minibus once its finished doing its pick-ups from the car park and wait for the driver to shout out your post number!!

Although some of them are out of date http://www.marshalspost.com/circuits can give good information and sometimes maps of post locations.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 17:32 (Ref:2958148)   #6
stephen0183
Rookie

England
Nottinghamshire
stephen0183 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Owen View Post

just something along with the free tea / coffee and biscuits we always like to do for those special folk who come to marshal with us.
First I've heard about free coffee and biscuits at Cadwell! I'll PM my details when I know which day of the 750s I can do!

Old 19 Sep 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2958150)   #7
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
the race order thing is such a simple but very helpful (and expensive!) idea to help flaggers, be interesting to have a race with loads of pitstops and the like there, then itd really come in handy.
Or you could just learn to read the race
Old 19 Sep 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2958153)   #8
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IME most circuits have photocopied circuit maps with the posts marked on them, ask the CM at sign on or alternatively ask in Race Admin or Race Control.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 17:52 (Ref:2958156)   #9
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
Somewhere round here, is a link to a whole host of Google maps showing Post locations at various circuits - I'll let the others post them as I dont have access to them at the minute.
the links are tricky for me to dig out right now (holiday with only 56K/sec access)
just google
"(insert circuit name) a map for marshals"

Sometimes marshals have to provide answers to their own questions. I started these maps off in response to people continually asking fairly simple questions about my home circuit.
I got help from others for circuits less familiar to me. The collestion grew and the maps may be freely used by others (as the BMMC do)

If your local circuit does not have one, or only has the merest details, (like, I think Rockingham) I'll happily open them up to an open collaboration.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 20:24 (Ref:2958217)   #10
lucky scarf
Rookie

Wales
Kinmel Bay
lucky scarf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Probably just need a sign for numpties like myself who failed miserably to see such a large map with the post numbers on Like a fool assumed Post 10 would be towards the end of the lap rather than the first section coming off the banking and nearly headed off in the wrong direction....
Old 19 Sep 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2958228)   #11
Steve Burns
Racer

United Kingdom
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Steve Burns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very useful at Rockingham as the post numbering is not sequential! As Clerk of the Course I was confused when the Post Chief on Post 9A came over the radio asking whether he should show a yellow flag on the formation lap. Only when I questioned why did I discover that Post 9A is the last post before the startline whereas Post 10 is at the 2nd corner which follows Post 3........
Old 19 Sep 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2958229)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
At just about every meeting I've done (there may have been exceptions, but I can't remember any) I've been given a map of the circuit. . . it's in the programme!

The map in the programme may not have post numbers on it, but then not all circuits use numbers anyway; if you don't know where your post is, there will be plenty of people around who do.

When I do post allocations at Anglesey I have few copies of the circuit map with me, showing post numbers . . . just ask! There's also a circuit map in the bar at Anglesey, used primarily for driver briefings.

Just a little (pedantic!) point: the person doing post allocations is not necessarily the Chief Marshal!
Old 20 Sep 2011, 08:13 (Ref:2958364)   #13
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unofficial Anglesey Information

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 20 Sep 2011, 08:43 (Ref:2958374)   #14
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing to remember is that some of us are blokes, and blokes do not ask directions, fortunately, as already pointed out, there are plenty of good websites offering printouts and details of the posts, that just leaves finding the shortest route to your post (If you can't find a manly way of asking then you will have to follow the course until you get there)
Old 20 Sep 2011, 12:35 (Ref:2958487)   #15
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MSVR will add circuit maps with post numbers for the MSV circuits to the marshals section of the MSVR website. It won't happen immediately but they will get the maps uploaded.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 12:35 (Ref:2958489)   #16
SuperDuff
Racer

United Kingdom
Devon
SuperDuff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a good idea. Also, maybe it is something brand new marshals that start with a training day could do with?

Though, being the geek I am, I did print off a couple of maps and added the post numbers in (felt tips and everything!). Now all I need to do is to remember to take them to the circuit (numpty).
Old 20 Sep 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2958498)   #17
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fox View Post
One thing to remember is that some of us are blokes, and blokes do not ask directions, fortunately, as already pointed out, there are plenty of good websites offering printouts and details of the posts, that just leaves finding the shortest route to your post (If you can't find a manly way of asking then you will have to follow the course until you get there)
I - as with many of the more regular folks at Donington, so it seems - seem to find that the shortest way to get from Craner Suites sign-on to, for example, posts 23 and 39 is such that we have to drive most of the way around the track each morning

As for the "bloke" comment, I heartily agree. Look lost, and someone will eventually help - but don't under *any* circumstances ask for directions!

Suddenly I'm reminded of the Harry Hill "You don't wanna do it like that" character for whom every journey to everywhere from anywhere else involved the A303
Old 20 Sep 2011, 13:18 (Ref:2958508)   #18
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best maps that I've seen are those from RaceSafe for the major bike meetings. Every flag point, radio, IO, medic & support vehicle location is clearly shown and labelled.

The only thing that I have to keep awake for is that they always start the call-signs from the start / finish line, so whilst WSB had the 1st point at Abbey, this weekend's BSB is running from the old garages so call-signs start on the old pit straight. Neither are quite the same as the usual call-signs for the cars at Silverstone either!

When I started marshalling, I printed google maps for each circuit and made notes, but google don't keep up with circuit building works and internal roads just aren't right any more. I notice that the biggest problem for some isn't how to get there, but guessing which post it might have been, rather than clarifying. Eg Copse Outside isn't Copse Exit; Becketts Outside on the National isn't easy to get to from Maggotts!

However, when we are asked for directions, just how easy is it for us to give directions in relation to other parts of the circuit that are probably just as big a mystery to our visitor? Even better is using names that are "retired" from current use - anyone for Ped Bridge?? (cue the old timers to tell us all it's previous incarnations!)
Old 20 Sep 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2958747)   #19
Richyy
Rookie

England
Chester
Richyy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
The best maps that I've seen are those from RaceSafe for the major bike meetings. Every flag point, radio, IO, medic & support vehicle location is clearly shown and labelled.

The only thing that I have to keep awake for is that they always start the call-signs from the start / finish line, so whilst WSB had the 1st point at Abbey, this weekend's BSB is running from the old garages so call-signs start on the old pit straight. Neither are quite the same as the usual call-signs for the cars at Silverstone either!

When I started marshalling, I printed google maps for each circuit and made notes, but google don't keep up with circuit building works and internal roads just aren't right any more. I notice that the biggest problem for some isn't how to get there, but guessing which post it might have been, rather than clarifying. Eg Copse Outside isn't Copse Exit; Becketts Outside on the National isn't easy to get to from Maggotts!

However, when we are asked for directions, just how easy is it for us to give directions in relation to other parts of the circuit that are probably just as big a mystery to our visitor? Even better is using names that are "retired" from current use - anyone for Ped Bridge?? (cue the old timers to tell us all it's previous incarnations!)
Even so I still managed to get it wrong when I went to marshal at Silverstone for the first time at the MotoGP, got to Club Outside and didn't realise until the I/O noticed one marshal too many and mentioned there was a Club Exit. The corners are a bit bigger than Oultons
Old 21 Sep 2011, 10:01 (Ref:2958990)   #20
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyy View Post
Even so I still managed to get it wrong when I went to marshal at Silverstone for the first time at the MotoGP, got to Club Outside and didn't realise until the I/O noticed one marshal too many and mentioned there was a Club Exit. The corners are a bit bigger than Oultons
he must have been switched on! yeah oulton is all about spacing marshals out within the corner with marshal point hotspots, which they do quite well, silverstone has posts on approach, the corner itself and exit, somewhere like pembrey has 9 posts silverstone can have 40+!
Old 21 Sep 2011, 10:37 (Ref:2959000)   #21
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyy View Post
On my second day two years ago I did exactly the opposite - turned up at Copse Exit, rather than Copse Outside (thinking that it meant the out point of the corner). I hadn't asked for directions as Copse is a bit hard to miss.