Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Oct 2011, 19:15 (Ref:2976732)   #26
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looks great...
Old 25 Oct 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2976747)   #27
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Concept art:

Hopefully more realistic than the Korean GP concept art...
Old 25 Oct 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2976770)   #28
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a dull track on paper
Old 25 Oct 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2976782)   #29
rantanamo
Rookie

rantanamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
What a dull track on paper

Looks pretty high speed, and has some passing zones. There's a Youtube video of a guy driving a Cayman around the proposed track route. Spectacular views for even the drivers at times and the elevation change is pretty big. He thought it would make a great course as it was really wide and would have some nice passing zones and even runoff, but thought it would have a hard time passing with all of the new residential.
Old 25 Oct 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2976810)   #30
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
That's not too shabby for a so-called 'street circuit'.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 00:19 (Ref:2976856)   #31
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The elevation changes should be good as there are some large hills in that area.

How it helps the area economically beyond ticket sales remains to be seen unless there are decent & safe hotels and restaurants on the Jersey side. Otherwise I see it as a economic boost to NYC.

I know that I will be staying and eating in Manhattan, not New Jersey.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 00:53 (Ref:2976862)   #32
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is weird. In Hoboken of all places..
Edit---it's Weehawken, not Hoboken. My B.

We have a hard enough time keeping one around and we are going to try for two?

Guess it increases the odds of one sticking...

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 26 Oct 2011 at 01:20. Reason: New Jersey geography correction
Old 26 Oct 2011, 00:55 (Ref:2976863)   #33
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Indeed. Guess which one Bernie will be putting his money on.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 02:52 (Ref:2976879)   #34
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Indeed. Guess which one Bernie will be putting his money on.
Both...
Old 26 Oct 2011, 05:50 (Ref:2976893)   #35
Beached
Rookie

Beached should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Both...
Exactly. As long as both are handing over the fees he'll be happy to take their money and show up with the circus.

Listening to the event boosters mention Monaco and Spa in the same breath was hysterical. Spa has nothing to do with it, and the only element comparable to Monaco is the tight processional street course layout with some elevation change. It will look good on TV, which is all that really matters to FOM.

Regarding Laguna Seca, the current layout is partly due to a failed bid to lure F1 to the track in the '80s. Unfortunately it's just too short to support a grid of modern F1 cars, not to mention the facilities. It's breathtaking watching a few of them get around the course at an insane clip doing demo laps, but an actual race would be a nightmare. There is talk about making a major change to the final complex of corners to add some length, but F1 will never happen. It's a great track regardless, and ALMS and Rennsport IV were an amazing end to the season this year.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 08:29 (Ref:2976935)   #36
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joe Saward put some more pics of the track on his site. Looks a bit like Melbourne to me. Can someone tell me if there are some height differences there?

Overall it looks okay, but I doubt if there will be some overtaking as the straights just seem too short to do so.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/...om-new-jersey/
Old 26 Oct 2011, 09:02 (Ref:2976947)   #37
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
From the WSJ article in the earlier post:

"Weehawken Mayor Richard Turner and West New York Mayor Felix Roque suggested in a joint statement that the race could prove to be a lucrative annual source of income for the area. They said no tax dollars would be involved in staging the race."

No tax dollars, indeed. Who will be paying for the Fire/Rescue, Police for traffic control and `cleanup' at the end of the day(s)?
I believe Bernie is allowing the cars to be fitted with E-Tags....they will start working the moment the transporters turn onto the Turnpike
Old 26 Oct 2011, 10:31 (Ref:2977008)   #38
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Both...
Back in early 2010, Bernie said this:

“I’m trying for 2012, opposite Manhattan in New Jersey with skyscrapers in the background. “Fifteen minutes from the centre of New York to the circuit. (It would be) a wonder.”

Now I deeply hope that both survive. But I know which one Bernie will love the most.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 10:55 (Ref:2977020)   #39
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
I believe Bernie is allowing the cars to be fitted with E-Tags....they will start working the moment the transporters turn onto the Turnpike
Quite good. Thanks.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 10:56 (Ref:2977022)   #40
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think both events will be a success for the first time around. New York will be old hat though second time around and expensive old hat at that. Also North Americans aren't interested unless there is an American driver at the front, a token one tailing around at the back or marooned in mid-field just won't do.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2977204)   #41
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I think both events will be a success for the first time around. New York will be old hat though second time around and expensive old hat at that. Also North Americans aren't interested unless there is an American driver at the front, a token one tailing around at the back or marooned in mid-field just won't do.
I agree that the events will be successful first-time out, and from there, it's hard to predict.

As far as American drivers go, it's even more complicated than that. If Scott Speed had been a World Champion, 1) Formula One would never be able to call itself the pinnacle of much of anything after that and 2) I don't think people would have cared, because he was not an "American" American (an ego-less, hard-working middle-class guy with tons of grit and tons of heart who started his career on short ovals before progressing to formula cars. Not sure where you find one of those, but very few Americans will see appeal in a guy full of himself who lived his entire life in Europe on daddy's money).

Though I guess if they're good enough, they could sell any American driver provided he/she was winning. Just manufacture some rivalry with those mean bad communist guys who talk funny and maybe they'll fall for it...

Glad it's not tax-funded, though some tax dollars to make the area not smell like nuclear waste would help.

But what we really can't overlook is the involvement of Humpy Wheeler. He's known for some wild ideas for pre-race (tamest being elephants on roller skates being dropped from helicopters which thankfully never happened, to the most radical idea which was to put fenders on IndyCars). He likes monster trucks and explosives. No doubt a big old F150 driven by a grizzly bear will crush a Ferrari F150th Italia asserting our dominance, culminating in Chris Christie shooting double-cheeseburgers to the crowd out of a machine gun.

We'll all complain our intelligence is insulted...

...and deep down, we'll wish they did it at every Grand Prix.

Maybe.

Probably not.

But what is probable?

Me being at a Grand Prix in 2013. Closest F1's ever going to get to me, so hey, I'll show up. Get me a seat on JFK where it's high up so I can see more (and that Manhattan skyline a-ha sings about; good song, actually), and we'll be in business.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 15:35 (Ref:2977759)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So it looks as if Bernie's dream will finally come true. Wouldn't it be ironic if he departed this world before his dream became reality, not that I would wish it on him.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 22:35 (Ref:2977950)   #43
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'm ok with the race. But why "Grand Prix of America"??? I'd have preferred New York Grand Prix, New Jersey Grand Prix or the old United States East Grand Prix. In Spanish, "América" means the whole continent, from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego. Calling a U.S.-based "Gran Premio de América" is insulting, at least to me.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 23:43 (Ref:2977975)   #44
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I'm ok with the race. But why "Grand Prix of America"??? I'd have preferred New York Grand Prix, New Jersey Grand Prix or the old United States East Grand Prix. In Spanish, "América" means the whole continent, from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego. Calling a U.S.-based "Gran Premio de América" is insulting, at least to me.
I agree..I would have thought that "The Grand Prix Of New York" would have been far more suitable..
Old 28 Oct 2011, 00:33 (Ref:2977982)   #45
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
'America' or 'Americas' suggests to me that under the steely confidence the owners are just a bit insecure. If US citizens fail to turn up for year two, they seem to expect South Americans to take up the shortfall.

As a race track the New Jersey track does look very interesting.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 00:41 (Ref:2977984)   #46
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Given that the GP is not within New York and the city trademarked the name and even charges the Giants and Jets to use the name and have even sued t shirt companies for using 'I love New York' on shirts, there was no chance they would be able to use it for an event in Jersey.

As for the name, how is it any different than the Euro GP being the second race in Germany and now Spain? Seems to have followed the FIAs recent procedure, although I'd almost guess Tavo would want GP of the Americas name for the track called Circuit of the Americas.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 05:58 (Ref:2978014)   #47
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
New Yorkers aren't going to buy a title GP of New York when its not even in New York....
I agree that GP of the America's is lame and means nothing to those from outside, not least of all the Latinos...

Maybe United States Grand Prix East and the United States Grand Prix Texas would be better...
Old 28 Oct 2011, 07:36 (Ref:2978036)   #48
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
Bonanza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there is some confusion, the race will be called the Grand Prix of America, NOT Grand Prix of the Americas, at least according to the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/15463430.stm

I assume it's right because they are the beeb, and America is another name used for the United States, so it kind of makes sense.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 11:28 (Ref:2978158)   #49
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hawpauwge

Just move it to Hauppauge! I want to see the worlds media struggling with the pronunciation!!
Old 28 Oct 2011, 12:58 (Ref:2978199)   #50
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
New Yorkers aren't going to buy a title GP of New York when its not even in New York....
Why not, the New York Giants and New York Jets both play out of the Meadowlands complex, which even from this side of the Atlantic I know is Rutherford New Jersey.