Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 3 Jun 2013, 21:09 (Ref:3257319)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
MotoGP 2013: Italy

The magnificent Mugello circuit saw one close race and probably two significant wins.

Moto3 is all about Vinales, Salom and Rins, with a guest named Folger (without a realistic title chance). It was a typical Mugello race of slipstreams. Rins probably didn't play well all his cards, Salom was clever and Vinales (IMO the pest package in the category) didn't have the perfect gearing for a slipstream battle.

Redding won the race "comfortably". He is almost the only likely candidate to the title. I am disappointed with Espargaro, he has not adapted to this year's tyres. But he is a proven winner, so one has to give him some minimal likelihood of being contender. Terol is a past winner but he has not translated well to Moto2; now he is improving, but perhaps too late already. Rabat never was a winning rider, but this winter his approach changed a lot. He had two good races early in the season, but now he looks a bit lost again.

The only other notable rider I see in Moto2 is Naka. He is consistent in getting good speed in every circuit. But he is too crashy, he needs to know better where are his bike's grip limits. I hope (and expect) he improves.

Lorenzo won the top category but the season will be a 33% between him, Pedrosa and Marquez, IMO. Nobody else matters in terms of title. Crutchlow, perhaps the best after the top three, has to fight to be the fourth in this championship, against Rossi and perhaps a surprising Dovi (surprising because of Ducati, of course). If Vale didn't get a final 4th position in the season, I am not sure if he will continue...

In another time we could speak about the worst riders of the season, in terms of unmatched expectations. Every season has its bright and dark sides...
Old 4 Jun 2013, 00:26 (Ref:3257391)   #2
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To me it looked like Bautista was catching a high side and sat up
and leaned in Rossi's line. They are both very lucky not to be in surgery
today or worse. That was a huge hit in the barrier. Guess I will see if Bautista has comments any where.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 01:19 (Ref:3257400)   #3
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
According the parts implied (the two riders and the stewards) it was a racing incident. I.e. difficult to blame someone when two riders approach the same piece the tarmac with approx the same rights in the third corner of the race. IIRC Vale was more paralell to the inside line and AB was toward the apex, in the racing line. Two different trajectories that cross in the worst moment.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3257559)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone prepared to write Rossi of yet - must be getting close... I would prefer to see him on an R1 in WSBK in 2014...
Old 4 Jun 2013, 12:24 (Ref:3257576)   #5
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Anyone prepared to write Rossi of yet - must be getting close... I would prefer to see him on an R1 in WSBK in 2014...
Im not ready to write him off yet, I saw enough trackside at Le Mans to see that he's still good enough to win races in MotoGP. I don't think he's good enough to win titles anymore but he can win again. His race craft is still good but he cant seem to qualify at all well this year. Barcelona will be a big weekend for him, its a track he's always gone well at and it he struggles there then it will be an indicator of a long hard season.

The biggest thing is that MotoGP is more competitive than at any point in his career up to now and whereas ten years ago he could have an off weekend and still finish third you cant do that anymore
Old 4 Jun 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3257583)   #6
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was hanging out for this thread in the lead up to the weekend. A little disappointed that it's happened after the event. Anyway, that was an awesome performance for Lorenzo, more than normal I thought. A highlight for me was Salom's win in moto3. It's not a bad effort to be leading a moto3/125 race coming out of the last corner at mugello with a pack behind you, and still be in front at the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Anyone prepared to write Rossi of yet - must be getting close
I would prefer to see him on an R1 in WSBK in 2014...
Me. It's one thing to lose your edge. But I think he's lost a certain authority amongst the field. Which is what has carried him for his career.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3257584)   #7
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
The biggest thing is that MotoGP is more competitive than at any point in his career up to now and whereas ten years ago he could have an off weekend and still finish third you cant do that anymore
Ten years ago, he could've had an off weekend and still finish first!
Old 4 Jun 2013, 14:21 (Ref:3257623)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am sad to say Valentino is really struggling, he can't qualify for some reason despite the fact he was always able to pull out a lap on quallies!!

And he is getting involved in silly errors and accidents, plus crashes

He looked awesome in Qatar, but since then not so. He is being humbled by Crutchlow who I don't think is on that slow a bike in TEch3 defence!

Not sure GP racing in the top class is more competitive, I don't think the bikes are any closer and there are only tw good bikes now without the Suzuki Kawasaki and Ducati of years back, but certainly you have a group of riders who are. and three maybe four or five are now a match for Valentino and better.

I also think he isn't prepared to go right to the edge like he did now, since the crash. And I also happen to believe he is carrying a legacy of shoulder problems. I don't expect Spies to race again for the same reason, ask Fogarty, Hodgson, they messed up their shoulders and were never able to ride properly again, it's a very bad, possibly the most crucial place to break bones. Hands, legs and feet can be repaired, but shoulder injury is nearly always permanent, and I believe Rossi is carrying the legacy of that still.

He certainly has never been the same since, nothing like in fact.
Old 5 Jun 2013, 09:41 (Ref:3257940)   #9
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Not sure GP racing in the top class is more competitive, I don't think the bikes are any closer and there are only tw good bikes now without the Suzuki Kawasaki and Ducati of years back, but certainly you have a group of riders who are. and three maybe four or five are now a match for Valentino and better.
Yeah, that's what I meant in terms of riders and not machinery I dont remember too many times it's been closer. You look at the Doohan era and Valentino's dominance and both riders only really had one rider to beat for each championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I also think he isn't prepared to go right to the edge like he did now, since the crash. And I also happen to believe he is carrying a legacy of shoulder problems. I don't expect Spies to race again for the same reason, ask Fogarty, Hodgson, they messed up their shoulders and were never able to ride properly again, it's a very bad, possibly the most crucial place to break bones. Hands, legs and feet can be repaired, but shoulder injury is nearly always permanent, and I believe Rossi is carrying the legacy of that still.

He certainly has never been the same since, nothing like in fact.
Definitely agree about the shoulder injuries. It's made even worse now with the carbon brakes putting so much force through the shoulder muscles. If you've any weakness youre screwed. It's strange with Rossi in so far as he showed at the end of 2010 (Motegi and Sepang) that he could still race at the front but it's been fits and starts with him since he came back. I think that he's no longer capable of winning titles in MotoGP but I've seen enough to think that he can still win a few races but like you said he's not been the same rider since the start of 2010
Old 5 Jun 2013, 15:44 (Ref:3258068)   #10
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy View Post
...Terol is a past winner but he has not translated well to Moto2; now he is improving ...
Terol seems to be on the up and up, good on him. I thought Julian Simon would get there before him in terms of adapting and winning in Moto2 but Simon is still struggling.

It will be interesting to see how Cortese develops next season.
Old 5 Jun 2013, 22:18 (Ref:3258276)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A lot of guys have really struggled with Moto2, Elias after one good year, Cortese, di Meglio, Corsi, Pasini and Simon

Some guys don't suit some bikes its that simple