Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Oct 2013, 18:30 (Ref:3314735)   #26
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I probably have a bit more respect for Pastor than most on here. But reading this made me lose a lot of respect for the man. To expect that your team is going to magic up a good car for you every year and spit the dummy if they don't is infantile. If he was serious about his career he'd understand the value of patience, and the value of building up a team when the results aren't there.

Jenson post-shitbox Honda era is a classic recent example of not throwing the head if the results aren't there.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 18:57 (Ref:3314752)   #27
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Otto's analysis in the team mate battles, as of Singapore, would seem to suggest they are pretty even.

Fastest Lap: 1-0 to Pastor Maldonado (8-5 to Valtteri Bottas)
Qualifying: 3-0 to Valtteri Bottas (24-15 to Valtteri Bottas)
Race: 5-0 to Pastor Maldonado (37.5 - 27.5 to Pastor Maldonado)

Williams: 58.5 - 58.5 each

The Pit pass super grid reflects Bottas at 15.64 and Makdonado at 16.21, split by Guitterez's Sauber. http://www.pitpass.com/src/seasons/2.../supergrid.php

Bottas has been pretty impressive this year though, is it just a case of not knowing enough to be scared?
I'd agree that they are even in qualifying, I think they are 7-7 in head-to-head and the gap is often very small between them. But during the races, Maldonado seems to perform better on a regular basis.

Take this past Korean GP for example, Pastor was doing very well and seeming to make a 3 stop strategy work for him. After Pastor's second stop he came out right behind Bottas and it was looking very good for the Venezuelan. After Bottas' second stop Pastor had 20 seconds on his teammate. Unfortunately the safety car came out and he lost this gap and it forced him to finish the race on that set of tires (much older than the cars behind him). After Gutierrez forced him wide and allowed half the grid past him in one corner, there was nothing he could do to come back on them with his older tires. That he kept in touch with Bottas on the older tires was actually fairly impressive. Bottas finished ahead, Maldonado was clearly driving better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
If you are going to have Maldonado in one car, you need a top class driver in the other seat, not an unproven rookie. I honestly cannot think of a less inspiring driver line up in recent years outside of the 3 new teams.
Maldonado-Senna is clearly worse simply because Senna was much worse than Bottas. Di Resta-Sutil also seems worse.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 20:48 (Ref:3314803)   #28
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I can't help but wonder if this proclamation from Maldonado is preparing a PR line in case the PDVSA money dries up.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 21:17 (Ref:3314815)   #29
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
I probably have a bit more respect for Pastor than most on here. But reading this made me lose a lot of respect for the man. To expect that your team is going to magic up a good car for you every year and spit the dummy if they don't is infantile. If he was serious about his career he'd understand the value of patience, and the value of building up a team when the results aren't there.
i don't think he has the common sense to know when he should and shouldn't be talking to the press.

i agree with beetle, he has definitely calmed down a bit, but perhaps that's because he has lost the will to be bothered about it any more, especially what with being a father now and if they've said they're giving up on this year's car. if his financial contribution was to drop significantly for next year, then if i were williams i'd have put his office in a cardboard box, invalidated his office swipe card and called security the day after the end of the season.

however, if i was hulkenberg, i'd be getting in touch with friends i had made whilst i was there back in the day and be finding out from them how much of an effect pat symonds is having on the team, and whether he's the catalyst they need to stick the bits back together and create a decent car for 2014. they're not going to gain a couple of seconds overnight on their 2013 pace, but someone like hulkenberg just needs a car that does what it's told. the rest he can do.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3314840)   #30
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
My interpretation of Maldonado's comments is that whilst he acknowledges he can be cut off by Caracas, his disparaging remarks on Williams, he's got prospects further up the grid and the only people that might be tempted by him - or more specifically the bags of petrodollars he can potentially bring with him - is Force India given the high profile problems the owners have had with their respective business empires.

Lotus won't have him as putting him beside Grosjean would be plain suicidal but they might think why not let Sutil play hare whilst Pastor pays the bills? It would be a disaster but I see how it could be tempting for owners today who may want a quick fix alternative to pumping so much of their wealth into the team.

I think he'll be cut off by Caracas though. Williams are performing the role of Minardi these days, and even for guys who are 'easygoing' when it comes to splashing out with public monies, what's the point in putting public money into that?
Old 8 Oct 2013, 22:57 (Ref:3314866)   #31
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't mean to be rude, but he's always struck me as not a very intelligent man. Almost killing a marshal idiocy aside.

He can't be stupid though, by any means. You can't be to do that job at that level. I know it's just a throwaway comment by him, but if he wants a better drive, he needs to be better. Flashes of excellent speed, but generally just a "good" Formula 1 driver.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 23:10 (Ref:3314869)   #32
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Well it would save a lot of hardware if he did stay at home..
Old 8 Oct 2013, 23:24 (Ref:3314872)   #33
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I think he'll be cut off by Caracas though. Williams are performing the role of Minardi these days, and even for guys who are 'easygoing' when it comes to splashing out with public monies, what's the point in putting public money into that?
to be fair to venezuela, the alternative would be presumably cecotto jnr or gonzalez. given the choice, i'd pay for him to drive too
Old 9 Oct 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3315148)   #34
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Jenson post-shitbox Honda era is a classic recent example of not throwing the head if the results aren't there.
Seriously, how did that dodge the auto-sensor ?
Old 9 Oct 2013, 15:09 (Ref:3315243)   #35
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... we all know here that the guy is a top notch driver, a champion in the making, the next wonder in the motorsport and F1 needs him so badly.

He has been deceived and misled by a team that clealry can't handle his talent. It's obvious that he takes the most out of a car that is a drag.

All teams want him, and it's well known that Ferrari wasn't able to hire him for conflicting sponsorships between the team and the driver.

Pretty much like Senna would race for free in a better car, this man is sending a message loud and clear to the F1 circus !!

It's amazing that nobody is paying attention !!!
Old 9 Oct 2013, 15:19 (Ref:3315248)   #36
davec
Racer

United Kingdom
davec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but he's always struck me as not a very intelligent man. Almost killing a marshal idiocy aside.

He can't be stupid though, by any means. You can't be to do that job at that level. I know it's just a throwaway comment by him, but if he wants a better drive, he needs to be better. Flashes of excellent speed, but generally just a "good" Formula 1 driver.
I know what you mean on this one, when he has had some really stupid accidents in the past he just looks like he cant comprehend the fact he has done something wrong. He must be a reasonably smart person and I know sometimes things can get a little lost with language but something just seems to get a bit lost with him.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 15:21 (Ref:3315249)   #37
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
its not that im a fan of PM for similar reasons stated by others, but the guy is rumoured to be bringing a staggering US46mill in personal sponsorship to the team per year.

for that kind of money he not only has paid for the right to speak his mind and if he lacks any intelligence its because he didnt use that money to buy into the team.

most people would get mad if they had to spend a couple of dollars on a lemon, can you imagine how mad you would be if you spent 46mil on one.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 16:00 (Ref:3315265)   #38
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think he's an Andrea deCesaris character for the 21st century.

Maldonado is talented, has wealthy patrons, is highly erratic. He's got this great bull-face on him that is tough and never apologetic.

When Grosjean messes up he has the red face of an embarrassed French maiden and is constantly under threat of getting the sack.

With, Maldonado, he looks like a guy you wouldn't cross. In another lifetime you might expect him as a hardcase revolutionary traypsing through the jungle with a knife between his teeth.

Now maybe those impressions are at odds with the real Grosjean and the real Maldonado but those are the vibes that come across to me whenever I see them.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 16:47 (Ref:3315283)   #39
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
to be fair to venezuela, the alternative would be presumably cecotto jnr or gonzalez. given the choice, i'd pay for him to drive too
It's either Maldonado or they'll cut their ties with F1 outright, IMO. The PDVSA support for motorsport is controversial domestically.

The deal with Williams goes to 2015 but guys don't think the Venezuelans won't be prepared to rip up any contract a year early. They will do that if they want to.
Old 13 Oct 2013, 06:22 (Ref:3316991)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Williams looks like a very chaotic place from outside. Too many driver and engine changes over the last few years, little continuity, except for Maldonado who is there his third year now. If Maldonado leaves, this could be another blow. In that would happen, as a fan of Petrov, I'd love to see them hire Petrov. Petrov demonstrated he is fast enough to be on the same pace with Heidfeld and Kovalainen, and perhaps he could bring Russian sponsorship to the team.
It is chaotic indeed and it is the common symptom of the illness that is lack of funds.
Old 13 Oct 2013, 16:08 (Ref:3317232)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
After Maldonado's move on his team mate at the last chicane today, which could well have taken them both out, I suspect that Williams would really like to be able to do without his cash. As far as I can see, the guy is a total liability....
Old 13 Oct 2013, 17:21 (Ref:3317301)   #42
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
After Maldonado's move on his team mate at the last chicane today, which could well have taken them both out, I suspect that Williams would really like to be able to do without his cash. As far as I can see, the guy is a total liability....
How do you fire your biggest customer though, particularly as the results have been so poor that the FOM cash is going to be very low next year.

I'm afraid Williams are backed into a corner on this one.
Old 13 Oct 2013, 17:25 (Ref:3317306)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, there's the rub..... They desperately need someone in the second seat who can assist with development and pick up a few good results, because without that, they're going to be battling with Caterham and Marussia next season.....
Old 13 Oct 2013, 17:36 (Ref:3317316)   #44
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EJ seemed pretty convinced that Williams top brass were in Venezuela recently to annul the PDVSA deal. I wonder if this is where Massa comes in. He probably can't bring the same cash as Pastor, but would bring some money and a lot of experience. Massa and Bottas would be a very solid team.
Old 13 Oct 2013, 17:41 (Ref:3317318)   #45
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, agreed.
Old 13 Oct 2013, 17:56 (Ref:3317329)   #46
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
EJ seemed pretty convinced that Williams top brass were in Venezuela recently to annul the PDVSA deal. I wonder if this is where Massa comes in. He probably can't bring the same cash as Pastor, but would bring some money and a lot of experience. Massa and Bottas would be a very solid team.
I still see the Brawn/Mass/Smedley package as possible for Williams, I know there is talk of Brawn going to McLaren along with the Honda deal. But looking at the interview RB gave on Sky today, he wants to be in charge and at McLaren it is a huge organisation where there will be too many chiefs and managers already.

Williams would be a good fit, a smaller team where he could have total control and there is also a certain symmetry to him being there. Williams don't have many cards to play so I imagine they would clear the decks for Ross...
Old 13 Oct 2013, 18:30 (Ref:3317339)   #47
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
If they had any sense.......
Old 13 Oct 2013, 20:27 (Ref:3317392)   #48
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Pastor is going to leave a huge, huge hole in the finances if he is leaving. Massa won't be able to fill the void. In fact, I doubt anyone will. I don't see Brawn tumbling down to an inferior Mercedes team after working with the big boys either.
Old 13 Oct 2013, 22:29 (Ref:3317452)   #49
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Pastor is going to leave a huge, huge hole in the finances if he is leaving. Massa won't be able to fill the void. In fact, I doubt anyone will. I don't see Brawn tumbling down to an inferior Mercedes team after working with the big boys either.
One thing is for sure, Williams' problems are way bigger than just Pastor, and as you say, removing his money will just add to them!

They seem to treat their people very badly and it is biting them!

If you were a Williams' employee, you would spend a lot of time, covering yourself, or looking for an alternative, wouldn't you?
Old 13 Oct 2013, 23:57 (Ref:3317484)   #50
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
One thing is for sure, Williams' problems are way bigger than just Pastor, and as you say, removing his money will just add to them!

They seem to treat their people very badly and it is biting them!

If you were a Williams' employee, you would spend a lot of time, covering yourself, or looking for an alternative, wouldn't you?
It's a vicious circle. But Pastor's departure means there's a new crisis unfolding at Williams if that figure of 46 million dollars from the article chillibowl has posted is accurate. Any new recruit could face the possibility of getting their career shipwrecked if they join up at this stage. I'd have more confidence if Totto Wolff, the investment expert, was still there prospecting monies for the team but he's at Merc doing that job for them. Tough times have just gotten tougher with Williams. Massa joining them just isn't on the cards, IMO.

I know the year end profits looked a bit ugly but with the monies Pastor was pumping into the team they were adequately funded. They should be doing better than a meagre point. How do you pitch to an investor with a record like that? Only good as your last race..etc