Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 31 Mar 2004, 20:37 (Ref:925623)   #1
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Commentary: 18* - from Racingpress.com

http://www.racingpress.com/publish/owrs033104.shtml

Just an interesting editorial I stumbled across about the fight for 18 cars at Long Beach, and it covers all sorts of stuff. Lots of misinformation in the article, but its a good read anyway.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 22:27 (Ref:925745)   #2
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Makes some very good points however. Particularly the idea that Champ Car should become a great road racing Series and forget about the battle with IRL. If the IRL did not keep doing things like hijacking Champ Car events that would be easy.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 22:54 (Ref:925767)   #3
cartpix
Racer

cartpix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Commentary: 18* - from Racingpress.com

Quote:
Originally posted by jjspierx
[BLots of misinformation in the article[/B]
That's an understatement. As for it being a good read, I must disagree. I thought it was a piece of ****. I've read better articles about the sport, written by stick & ball guys, in the local paper. About the only thing I agreed with, was the part about ignoring the IRL. As I've said about the IRL, if they spent half the time, effort & money promoting the IRL, that they do trying to kill Champ Car, they would have a great series. Walk away from the fight.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Jeff
Old 1 Apr 2004, 01:10 (Ref:925829)   #4
cartpix
Racer

I read another piece, by this guy. It was a bit better. I must warn any TG fans, it's pretty brutal.

http://www.racingpress.com/publish/owrsirl031404.shtml

Jeff
Old 1 Apr 2004, 02:08 (Ref:925866)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boy, that fellow hates everybody!

Actually I wrote a rather stinging riposte to one of his smarmy "it's all about Money" editorials at least two years ago. I am not a starry-eyed schoolgirl -- and even when I WAS a schoolgirl I had both feet on the ground and both hands on my wallet -- but people who live only to disembowel living things and stamp on the remains and gloat over the results make me wonder why they even bother to get up in the morning.

What a sorry excuse for a racing writer. He'd make Mario drink gin from the cat dish.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 04:07 (Ref:925928)   #6
cartpix
Racer

Liz,

You really need to come out of your shell & tell us what you really think. I thought I was the only one, that thought he was a hack.

Jeff
Old 1 Apr 2004, 10:44 (Ref:926191)   #7
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Johns' view of OWRS ?!

For many years I have been in a disagreement with many IRL disciples and one who always stands out is Tony Johns of Racing Press. But, just recently, he has managed to write an article about CART/OWRS that I almost fully agree with. Guess we can consider it an April Fool's Special... hihihaha...

Let us review Tony Johns' spew - keep in mind that Johns is a pro-IRL scribe ?! = http://www.racingpress.com/publish/p...rs033104.shtml

There are a few items here that I could argue with, but overall this article depicts OWRS' woes quite well. Hopefully the ChampCar Troika will heed to that thought and go on with bettering of OWRS as not only the primary goal but the only goal - forget about the IRL's shenaningas and what effect they might have on OWRS, let them be the ones who respond to OWRS' actions ?!

zerO
Old 1 Apr 2004, 10:53 (Ref:926199)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This bit here from the article sounds like sensationalist speculation:

"Safety is also a concern. Sources inside the paddock have cast a skeptical eye on the quality of some of these cars, particularly at the lower end of pecking order. Hastily-assembled teams often result in hastily-assembled racing machines. And contrary to the beliefs of the hardest-core Champ Car fans, danger is not a market cornered by the IRL -- as the families of Jeff Krosnoff, Gonzalo Rodriguez, and Greg Moore sadly can confirm -- and the last thing Champ Car needs is a handful of ****boxes thrown together just to make a quota. A couple of the teams fielding multiple cars this season were accused of fielding suspect equipment even before the mad dash to 18; OWRS cannot afford at this juncture to allow substandard equipment out onto its racing surfaces."

Last edited by macdaddy; 2 Apr 2004 at 02:06.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 12:02 (Ref:926243)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid