Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 May 2001, 14:31 (Ref:89894)   #1
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brunner to Toyota

Minardi chassis man Gustav Brunner is joining the Toyota effort, effective tomorrow. Excellent news for the Japanese F1 team. Opinions everyone??
Tough break for Minardi, though...
Old 7 May 2001, 15:50 (Ref:89903)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brunner's efforts for the perrenially underfunded Minardi effort have always been respected by his peers in the F1 community. It will show quickly if he can do more with a better funded outfit.
Never forget #99
Old 7 May 2001, 16:08 (Ref:89905)   #3
Orange
Racer

Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow!! Huge break for Toyota!!

I was wondering if Stoddarts takeover at Minardi would entice Brunner elsewhere... and I guess it did!!

This shows just how determined Toyota is to amke a big splash in F1... watch out everyone!

As for Minardi, i am going to guess that without Brunner, things just won't be the same again. *sigh* I was kinda looking forward to a Brunner Minardi with a factory works engine... gues it was just not meant to be...
Old 7 May 2001, 16:55 (Ref:89912)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its a great, though unexpected move for Brunner. On the surface it makes sense: Colonge-based team, German-speaking Brunner...

Salo has threatened that TOYOTA will be a force next year, this move goes a long way towards making it a possibility.

Sad news for Minardi and Minardifan. Altough, rumours of European's soon to be signed factory deal...
Old 7 May 2001, 19:41 (Ref:89946)   #5
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd much rather have a Brunner chassis w/ a slow engine than a non-Brunner w/ the Toyota. Unless, the Toyota engine is fast.

I am truly saddened by this. Forza Minardi!

BTW...who else would be the Minardi designer? Despite the fact that Brunner is genius, I hear that the Minardi team is absolutely deep in genius in such matters. There was something a bit back on formula-1.co.uk that detailed this......and, eh I shouldn't be so lazy.

C'mon Paul! Bring home a power plant!
Old 7 May 2001, 21:00 (Ref:89977)   #6
Damon_racer
Rookie

Damon_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brunner designs have always been admired from higher up the grid with a bigger budget he could do great things this can only be Minardi's loss and Toyota's gain
Old 7 May 2001, 22:04 (Ref:90008)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can anyone provide information on HOW fast is TOYOTA at this moment ??

I've been looking for more info over the net but nothing anywhere...
Old 8 May 2001, 00:36 (Ref:90043)   #8
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Can anyone provide information on HOW fast is TOYOTA at this moment ??

I've been looking for more info over the net but nothing anywhere...
I think this will be a heavily guarded secret.

As for Brunner, this is very bad news for Minardi, just as I was getting excited for a new engine, the only thing keeping them in the game disappears. Personally I'm suprised he was'nt poached sooner. Will this effect any future engine deal?

Make no mistake, going on Toyota's previous efforts, you can expect them to be very fast, but probably unreliable initially.
Old 8 May 2001, 01:40 (Ref:90065)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I am surprised that Paul Stoddart did not wrap up Brunner's contract BEFORE he purchased Minardi. Now, if Alonso leaves him at the end of this year, he will be left with nothing.
Old 8 May 2001, 02:20 (Ref:90074)   #10
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got my doubts on saying that Minardi will be left w/ nothing.

Remember, despite the fact that Brunner is genius, there must undoubtedly be others trained in the wise ways of Brunner, as well as other wonderful tech people @ Minardi. Also, Paul has something w/ Mark Webber, as well as many promising young talent.

Also remember: there's a LOT of awesome young talent in this sport that is displacing veterans. There are going to be some high-quality drivers that Paul will have a chance at that just didn't shake out in their previous situations (I could theoretically see Paul ending up w/ Wurz, Badoer, or a Zonta). None of those are a shabby pickup, and are hardly nothing.

Forza Minardi!
Old 8 May 2001, 04:22 (Ref:90082)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Victor, if you are trying to cheer me up, you are failing miserably. . If you want to see a smile, then you will have to tell me Paul has landed a factory engine. Until then, and without Brunner, and if Alonso leaves, all is lost.
Old 8 May 2001, 08:02 (Ref:90102)   #12
GM99
Rookie

GM99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Brunner really that good?
I seem to recall his past designs as pretty ho-hum. Was he not with ATS for a while, Spirit Racing,...I know he spent some time at Ferrari but he wasn't there that long, why is he such a genius?
Old 8 May 2001, 09:06 (Ref:90108)   #13
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valve Bounce, cheer up! Minardi will pull through allright in the end. Losing Brunner is only a short term problem. Paul Stoddart will work things out. If he could get a car assembled in six weeks without a motor, sponsors, tyres or drivers, I am sure he'll survive this setback.

As for drivers, Alonso is good, but if he leaves, it's not the end of the world. I personally would not be surprised if Mark Webber will be driving a Minardi Nissan at the Aussie GP. Then there are drivers like Piccini, Pizzonia, Wurz and of course Badoer who could end up in a Minardi.

Plus, Paul Stoddart would have known about this for a least a few weeks - everything will work out ok!
Old 8 May 2001, 10:01 (Ref:90118)   #14
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with DNQ. Minardi is tenacious of life team. Loosing Brunner is the problem, but not the end. Williams had stayed alive after Newye left. Works engine will compensate the loss till they find new genius.

Alonso is great driver, but not the only who can drive Minardi. A lot of young deserving guys are waiting for the seat. Pual have enough of time to create a strong links.

Forza Minardi!
Old 8 May 2001, 10:44 (Ref:90139)   #15
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OOOOOHHHHNNOOOONNOOOOONNNOOOONNOOO. *pained wail of dispair*

Sod the engine, look at PROST!!! This is it. This is the end. Of everything. Ever. *sob*
Old 8 May 2001, 11:33 (Ref:90158)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Relax Tristan.

We're gonna think of something to bring up Minardi to the top !
Old 8 May 2001, 12:05 (Ref:90176)   #17
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was gutted to learn this news, I can't quite believe it - Brunner is the reason we have been able to qualify for GP's over the past few seasons thanks to his superb designing skills.

However, I'm sure Stoddart knew of this before it was announced, and he has someone else lined up.

Old 8 May 2001, 12:55 (Ref:90193)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

See Tristan ???

Stoddart is no fool !!
Old 8 May 2001, 13:14 (Ref:90202)   #19
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like Brunner will teach them all how to 'Nippon Out' and get a fast F1 car.

Sorry all, couldn't resist.
Old 8 May 2001, 13:56 (Ref:90224)   #20
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I know, Alonso will only stay if Just Paul finds a better engine, and judging by recent rumours I guess all will be well on that front.

As for replacements: Badoer, Zonta and Wurz?

Unless I'm very much mistaken Badoer still won't have forgiven Minardi after looking set to score his first ever points with a fourth place at Nurburgring '99. I've heard that he would never return as an F1 driver if he could not get into a top team, which is possibly why he was probably a bit miffed when Salo took the no.2 Ferrari instead of him in '99.

Zonta has already said (regarding rumours of him replacing Mazzacane) that he wants to stay at Jordan, and most wouldn't blame him if he wants to get a lot of points

Would Alex Wurz take a drive at Minardi or follow the Panis route and remain with Mclaren as a test driver? It may give short-term gratification to outqualify his former team's efforts but the fun will wear off after a while...

Anyway, Minardi is not just Brunner, just as Williams were obviously not completely dependant on Newey; Didn't the loss of Renault support contribute to their downfall? Perhaps a better engine deal will go some way to solving the problem...
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 8 May 2001, 14:18 (Ref:90236)   #21
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it seems that Brunner's contract had indeed been sorted out and he broke it. It lasted until 2003 so Minardi will be taking on Toyota in the courts.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 8 May 2001, 15:23 (Ref:90259)   #22
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent.

Old 8 May 2001, 15:40 (Ref:90263)   #23
JVA
Racer

JVA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bah Toyota, BAH BAH BAH

I hope that Minardi winn the case against Toyota.
With money they can't do everything.

Sad thing for Minardi...
Old 8 May 2001, 18:00 (Ref:90338)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

C'mon, Minardi will find a better guy in replacement of Brunner.

It's destiny.

Remember, GOD is Minardi supporter !!!!!

(Or they wouldn't be there on the grid until today !!)

Old 8 May 2001, 20:55 (Ref:90467)   #25
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm still sulking. I cannot EXPRESS how genuinley ****t off I am about all this. GENUINLEY. Unbelievable. There present chassis has effectivley lasted two years. How much is left in it before they have to design a new one from scratch??

Ohhh, I'm fuming. If in the official press releases GB says "I needed a new challenge" I will go to Japan with a big stick and a grudge. There IS no bigger challenge in F1 than getting a Minardi on the GRID let alone qualifying in 18th. Take him to court. Shackle him to the CAD or drwing board thingy and make him DRAW!!