Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2758242)   #1
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cosworth

Just posting to see what anyone else thinks here - but after a fair amount of stick, did Cosworth deserve a slap on the back for the engine perfomance today in the Williams? On a track pretty much pure power, Williams had enough pace to be a leader in the midfield.

Am I missing something though?
Old 12 Sep 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2758263)   #2
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone else notice Kevin Kalkhoven sitting next to Frank Williams during the Italian GP?
Old 12 Sep 2010, 18:52 (Ref:2758265)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaffer View Post
Did anyone else notice Kevin Kalkhoven sitting next to Frank Williams during the Italian GP?

Yes I did see that, and I think Cosworth are doing a very good job...
Old 12 Sep 2010, 19:07 (Ref:2758273)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Well if all these rumours about Lotus and maybe even Virgin jumping ship and HRT disappearing, Williams would be the only outfit running the engines so Kevin K dropping in on Williams makes good sense. Maybe there'll be an even closer relationship next season between them?

I doubt it'll come to that, but what is certain is that the engine supply situation in the lower order will be a bit different next season.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2758301)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Yep, I think its pretty much assured now that Lotus won't be with Cosworth next year. Who knows what 2011 will bring...?!
Old 12 Sep 2010, 22:22 (Ref:2758411)   #6
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport is reporting that Lotus and Cosworth has agreed to end their partnership after the 2010 season
Old 13 Sep 2010, 00:50 (Ref:2758445)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Lotus will get Red Bull's Engine/Gearbox/KERS from 2011 now, it seems. Lotus's problems this season have stemmed mainly from gearbox faults..
Old 13 Sep 2010, 00:59 (Ref:2758448)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why would they get the Red Bull version? Is that suggesting Renault isnt running in 2011 as a works team?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 13 Sep 2010, 03:42 (Ref:2758477)   #9
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cosworth have benefited greatly from Williams, showing what a car with better aero can do with thier power (but it's not the best engine there by a long shot)

It would make sense for Renault (a private company effectively unless they do go ahead and buy back the Geni (sp?) shares) to use Red Bull developed gearbox and Kers as they have better access to designers and funds.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 11:24 (Ref:2758654)   #10
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
but it's not the best engine there by a long shot)
At Hungary - Martin Brundle was talking similar nonsense when Barichello was behind Schumacher.......with words along the lines of " that cosworth engine hasnt got the grunt to pass the powerful Mercedes engine".......then Barichello blasted past schumacher on the main straight, whereby he then forced barichello up against the pit wall with "that move".........I think you will find the Cosworth engine is actually very comparable to top engines.........for me Cosworth have exceeded expectations.........agreed with comments above, Lotus were originally looking for a more reliable gear-box, then Renault also offered the engine as a complete package.........that will be a good move for Lotus.

Engine wise I think there is the proverbial fag-paper of difference between all engines power out-put.........even despite Renaults whinging, the red-bull & Renault cars were still mixing it with the other teams yesterday.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 13:05 (Ref:2758722)   #11
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The difference between engines is smaller that many people thinks. Remember they are freezed and limited so everyone is running 5 year old technology...
Old 14 Sep 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2759289)   #12
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I reckon the Cosworth must be up there with the best in terms of BHP. I recall earlier in the year Cosworth and Williams both said they were not lacking in power, but were learning together how to optimise power delivery - I take that to mean tweaking engine mapping and inlets/exhaust tuning (which are free) to give the best overall performance.

In the higher speed regions - 150 mph upwards - the most slippery cars are those that go quickest down the straights. A few BHP from a different engine makes very little difference. As an aside, it is interesting to note that the two different downforce strategies chosen by Button and Hamilton in Monza resulted in very similar lap times, but Hamilton was almost certainly quicker down the straights due to lower drag - just as Alonso was much faster than Button on the straights.

The Red Bulls obviously have a great deal of downforce which is their strongest suit and that is bound to have a negative impact on drag efficiency, though they seem to have found a good compromise which works well on all circuits where straights are fewer or shorter. I really doubt that the Red Bulls would be appreciably faster if they were fitted with Mercedes engines without some areo changes. As cited above, Kubica has been amazingly fast on occassions - as had Petrov (remembering back to the beginning of the year against Hamilton in particular) - so the Renault engine can't be too shabby.

Getting back to Cosworth, if they were powering a more aerodynamically efficient chassis (with the right drivers) they would be pressing Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault much harder, I believe.