Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I have a list for you if you don't see that:

1997: Ralf&Fisichella
2000: HHF&Trulli
2001: HHF&Trulli
2002: Fisichella&Sato

in all those years B&H sponsored Jordan.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 12:23 (Ref:857500)   #27
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure, but those were also years that B&H had significant exposure because Jordan was way further up the grid in those years. In 2002, it started to slip back. B&H were then also opting for Justin Wilson, who tested well for the team in late 2001, but Jordan were keen on tying things up with Honda (in which they obviously didn't succeed). For 2003, it was all the more necessary to get all exposure possible, so a British driver was made mandatory by B&H and in came Ralph Firman. The only thing Firman had going for him, was his nationality. A Formula Nippon-title is all fine and well, but not if it takes you years to grab it. Allthough none of us can be sure, it seems as if B&H still demands a British driver, and is even willing to cough up some more if needed. Eddie Jordan has leaked to the press that he isn't ruling out a British driver, and listed some of the possibles. Again, this is certainly no conclusive proof that a Brit is in, but there is certainly far less conclusive proof that Verstappen is in.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 16:51 (Ref:857719)   #28
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
for those of you who can read German:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/52338

it says even though Jos broke off talks, he is the most likely driver to fill the other seat, EJ would have been in Dordrecht on friday(30-01) for negotiations.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 18:04 (Ref:857789)   #29
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
for those of you who can read German:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/52338

it says even though Jos broke off talks, he is the most likely driver to fill the other seat, EJ would have been in Dordrecht on friday(30-01) for negotiations.

So this is the only site that have spotted Eddie in Dordrecht (of all places). Amazing the things people will come up with.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 18:06 (Ref:857791)   #30
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns12438.html

A new slant on this, including rekindling the rumours of Jordan and Mercedes.....
Old 1 Feb 2004, 07:54 (Ref:858567)   #31
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
It seems Jos has found a third sponsor, not only will Trust and Muermans sponsor him if he drives for Jordan, but so will Telfort(a Dutch mobile phone provider)
Old 1 Feb 2004, 11:11 (Ref:858711)   #32
Bridget Stone
Racer

Bridget Stone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope that will make a positive difference. By the way, here's a graphic description of what happened between Jos and Eddie:

http://www.cezmedia.nl/jv/jv.swf

love, bridget
Old 1 Feb 2004, 11:44 (Ref:858750)   #33
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Any source? I've always had Telfort linked to Christijan.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 12:04 (Ref:858769)   #34
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
The DTM is sponsored by Vadafone remember, so Telfort would'nt be welcome there.

and Telfort sponsored Giedo van der Garde last season in Formula Renault, Giedo was discovered by Jos, was world karing champion in Jos's team and still trains together with Jos and his personal trainer(while Huub Rothengatter was a guest at the Van Amersfoort team several times during the Formula Renault season).
Old 1 Feb 2004, 12:23 (Ref:858795)   #35
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

OK, fair enough, but that seems speculation to me? Do you have source that is directly connecting Telfort to Jos? In Dutch media, Albers was frequently connected to Telfort in his bid to land a Minardi or Jordan-drive
Old 1 Feb 2004, 12:41 (Ref:858815)   #36
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
several different people on other boards say they have sources that link Jos to Telfort.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 13:58 (Ref:858908)   #37
Bridget Stone
Racer

another link which also talks about Nick and Jos being the drivers for the coming season:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...2Fsmjord30.xml

Dunno whats going on, but i'm not throwing in the towl just yet :-)

love, bridget
Old 1 Feb 2004, 19:46 (Ref:859356)   #38
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Now rumours are emerging that Trust is ganging up with Telfort in order to get Albers in a Jordan for 2004, or at least the first three races. Apperantly, Jos wasn't willing to sign such a deal, but Albers is -understandibly- jumping up and down to get such a chance.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 20:44 (Ref:859421)   #39
Bridget Stone
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
Now rumours are emerging that Trust is ganging up with Telfort in order to get Albers in a Jordan for 2004, or at least the first three races. Apperantly, Jos wasn't willing to sign such a deal, but Albers is -understandibly- jumping up and down to get such a chance.
Yes i agree, Christijan Albers should take that chance with open arms. But isn't it all a "cunning plan" of Eddie Jordan ? To cash in a lot of euro's and then "sack" Albers after only three races for not-performing ? I think that the sponsors will not spend the whole amount of sponsormoney for just three races, i dont think they are so naive. They would be well advised to adjust the amount of money to the total of grandprix's that Albers will race.

I for my part would rather see that all the sponsormoney would flow into a kind of fund to promote young dutch drivers, like Giedo van der Garde.

love, bridget
Old 1 Feb 2004, 20:59 (Ref:859439)   #40
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
wich is -of course- absolute nonsense, Christijan has a contract for the DTM this year and I'm sure Norbert Haug won't let him drive a Jordan.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 21:18 (Ref:859475)   #41
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

I don't know anything on this, but it does make sense. Jos was presented with an offer he only could refuse. At least, that is what is statement said. It's also what Perridon said. Perridon however never stated that he (Trust) was backing out on Jordan, giving fuel to the assumption that Trust and Jordan could be happening without Jos. If Trust could ally itself with Albers and Telfort, than Trust has the exposure it seeks, and as a bonus they are connected with a Dutch driver after all.

Then Mercedes needs a replacement for Albers, but whereas Opel has gotten hold of the services of a well experienced ex-F1star, now all of a sudden, Mercedes could have as well.

Albers would finally got his F1chance, Jordan would get the money, Jos would get a topline drive in a highprofile series with an actual chance of winning and Mercedes would get a highprofile driver.

They all would be winners.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 21:31 (Ref:859485)   #42
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
It is very obvious that No Jos=No Trust.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 21:47 (Ref:859496)   #43
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
It is very obvious that No Jos=No Trust.
Thats exactly the point. That isn't obvious at all. Jos' statement in which he commented on breaking off negotations with Jordan were very clear on the fact that he (Jos) broke off further talks, where as Trust didn't say anything of the sort.

Besides, Trust wants to be on the Jordan. Having Jos drive for that particular team has been a condition for Trust under which a deal can be made, but Jordan seemed unwilling to accept that condition. If it was only about the Trust-money, with no driver-demand, the deal could've been made months ago. On January 27th Jordan presented Trust with a counter-offer in which Jos could be handed a drive, but under a performance-clause. Jos felt somewhat offended and stated the he certainly wasn't going to drive for Jordan if it was going to be like that. So, after a brief moment with the sponsors, he decided to ditch the Jordan-offer. At that time, no deal with Jos and no deal with Trust.

However, Trusts wish to sponsor in F1 remains. Of course Trust want to be in F1 primarly for their own good, not to pick up the check for Jos Verstappen. Their connection with a popular Dutch driver (well at least in Holland) didn't do the company any harm, but it seems Jos isn't a wanted currency in today's F1. As it turns out, Jos actually forms the obstacle for Trust being a sponsor for the Jordan F1 team. Perhaps Trust isn't interested in sponsoring F1 without a connection with a Dutch driver, but Albers is Dutch and is potentialy just as popular as Verstappen is. Perhaps a few Verstappen-fans would despise Trust for making such a move, but that can be calculated. Some Verstappenfans will applaude Trust nonetheless for keeping a Dutch driver in F1, some new fans will sympathize with Albers.

Albers generated a big and enthusiastic crowd at Zandvoort and his popularity will only grow when he is in F1.

Of course Trust and Jos are tightly connected, but when Trusts realizes that their businessinterests are better protected if they line up with Albers and Telfort, it is only a small step from Verstappen to Albers.

You cannot expect Trust to totally depend themselves on the destiny of Jos Verstappen, and they clearly are not.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 21:49 (Ref:859499)   #44
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Well, if you had read all the comments from Michel peridon it is obvious.

anyway: Albers is also still stuck at Mercedes.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 21:52 (Ref:859501)   #45
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Perridon only stated that he can imagine that Jos didn't take the offer he recieved from Eddie. So he sympathizes with Jos' decision to break off all further talks. He commented on the relation between Jos and Jordan, not between Trust and Jordan.

Mercedes is being believed to honors Christijans wish to leave the contract when a realistic F1-opportunity occurs. Albers was avalaible for Jordan-testing in 2003. Jordan tried to get him, but Christijan choose to stick with Mercedes. Perhaps a racing-opportunity will make Chris choose otherwise.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 21:56 (Ref:859505)   #46
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Albers could well have a get out clause in his contract with Mercedes. 'If I get an F1 ride...' Also Mercedes could be nice and let him go to F1.

Although I don't see any reason to think Albers is more likely to get the drive than anyone else.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 21:59 (Ref:859507)   #47
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore

Although I don't see any reason to think Albers is more likely to get the drive than anyone else.
Sponsorbacking seems to be the magic word.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 22:12 (Ref:859516)   #48
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Eddie, I find it somehow strange that you don't believe any rumours that Jos will drive without real proof, but every rumour that Jos won't drive you believe without a doubt.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 22:22 (Ref:859523)   #49
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
and I'm sure Norbert Haug won't let him drive a Jordan.
What about the possible Jordan/Mercades deal that is rumoured for 2005? Seems alot more likely as Jordan have put Heidfeld in the car.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 22:28 (Ref:859531)   #50
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Eddie, I find it somehow strange that you don't believe any rumours that Jos will drive without real proof, but every rumour that Jos won't drive you believe without a doubt.
I don't believe anything that isn't confirmed. I'm just entertaining a thought, and the link Albers/Trust/Jordan/Mercedes seems very plausible to me. On the other hand I find it very unlikely that Jos stops the negotiations only to keep on negotiating in secret (why? negotiations are always behind closed doors) while his manager says on friday that since that day there haven't been any talks with Jordan.