Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:41 (Ref:855966)   #1
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Nick Heidfeld

Now I've noticed that Nick Heidfeld isn't spoken of much on this site. By no means is he an untalented driver though. In fact, only in 2003 has been beaten by his teammate. And he has had some talented teammates.

2000- difficult rookie season at Prost in which he failed to score a point, but was at times quicker than his much more experienced teammate in Jean Alesi.

2001-picked up by Sauber to match rookie Kimi Raikkonen and finishes 7th in the championship, including a podium in Brazil and outqualifies Kimi 10-7. Raikkonen goes to McLaren, Nick stays at Sauber.

2002-matched with another rookie in Felipe Massa and outshines Massa on most occasions, this time finishing 8th in the championship. Massa goes to Ferrari (as a test driver), Nick stays at Sauber.

2003-a poor season, only 6pts scored with the highlights being a strong drive to 8th from the back of the grid in the Nurburgring and a good drive in the wet at the USA to 5th. Nick is beaten easily by a far more experienced teammate in Heinz-Harald Frentzen. Sauber ditch both their drivers, and Nick is without a seat in 04, although currently Jordan have an option on his services.

So people, these FACTS point out that Nick Heidfeld SHOULD be in a competitive race seat in 04, he deserves a seat more than a few other drivers currently racing (not going to mention any names!!!).

So why hasn't he got the competitive seat he deserved, at the earliest, in 2002??
Old 30 Jan 2004, 05:34 (Ref:855977)   #2
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do agree with you that Nick does deserve a seat in F1 to show his stuff. He din't have much chance, and considering that drivers such as some new rookie or Jos almost got the Jordan seat ahead of Heidfeld seem strange if not for money.

However, the teammates he had didn't do his CV much good. Alesi was past the prime at Prost, though Nick's ability to beat him does speak much of Nick's talent. Massa and Kimi are 2 rookies with no experience and Nick beat them by just a whisker. And HHF is clearly past it, and nick couldn't better him.

Of course, people tend to forget his pretty impressive days in junior levels, and the Kimi vs Nick is overrated in Kimi's favour.

I'm not saying Nick's the stuff of WDCs, just that given the proper guidance and chance, he could do as good a job as Fisi/DC/Ralf
Old 30 Jan 2004, 05:46 (Ref:855981)   #3
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Agree - the guy can drive.

I disagree however that HHF overshadowed him. NH outqualified him 9-8 and it was 3-3 in races that they both finished. Hardly easily beating! And HHF is vastly more experienced as you say.

EJ would be mad not to go with this guy...
Old 30 Jan 2004, 06:35 (Ref:855996)   #4
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi was just lucky being for being at the right time and came from the same country as Mika did. Mika did use his influence to pull some strings to favour Kimi over Heidfeld.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 07:07 (Ref:856019)   #5
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
nick is definitely unlucky not to have a drive in f1 04.....
Old 30 Jan 2004, 09:19 (Ref:856114)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And mercedes cut their contractual ties to Heidfeld this year. If he's smart he'll keep going to all the races and keep his name out there. Someone will be bound to need a new driver or test dummy by mid year.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 09:35 (Ref:856134)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he is just seen as an anonymous driver. Pre the 2003 season, the Sauber line up looked to be as dull as dishwater, to my mind one cancelled the other out, and their was certainly no spark there in 2003. Notably Peter Sauber has looked to regain some impetus with his line up this year.

In 2001 the stats will say he beat Kimi as you say, but by an insignificant margin against a driver who's past experience was in UK Formula Renault. Whereas Nick had two seasons of F3, two seasons of International F3000 plus a season of McLaren F1 testing, before we consider the Prost season.

So in essence, Kimi was viewed as a driver with 'that' star quality and only going to get faster, so Nick was passed over.

Ditto 2002 to a lesser extent, the jury is still out on Massa, but some (Ferrari) believe he is destined for greater things, so 2004 will be interesting to watch.

I guess it's the 'must have' factor, seemingly Nick doesn't have the appeal to excite team managers.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 09:47 (Ref:856149)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I do believe that Heidfeld deserves a seat in F1, especially when we have the likes of the Minardi drivers on the grid, but then the same could be said for Wurz etc.

Looking at deeks post....

Quote:
Originally posted by deeks6

I disagree however that HHF overshadowed him. NH outqualified him 9-8 and it was 3-3 in races that they both finished. Hardly easily beating! And HHF is vastly more experienced as you say.

HH-F beat him and yes with more experience, but then, after 4 seasons, should experience be an issue, after all, Kimi beat DC, JPM beat Rafe, Alonso beat Trulli. All 3 have less experience than their team mates that they beat.

The reason that Heidfeld isn't in F1 (other than the money) is that in the seasons he beat his team mates, 2001, 2002, they were both rookies with little F1 experience, and he only just managed to beat them.

Rather ironic that the 2 drivers he beat are contracted to McLaren or Ferrari, and he's looking like he'll be on the side lines in 04.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 10:16 (Ref:856183)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As the resident Heidfeld fan, it will be an absolute bloody disgraceful injustice if Nick is left on the sidelines in 2004 simply because he hasn't go sponsorship. Really, EJ would be mad not to pick him up and put a pay-driver in the second car.

I'm feeling more confident now that talks with 'Dead Loss' Verstappen have ended so perhaps Nick is now in favour. Considering he's already tested and posted impressive time, I'm hoping against hope.

I hardly agree with some thoughts above. Beating ones team-mate is beating one's team-mate and Heidfeld has done it three times out of four. However, a couple of things went against him: Kimi was a Finn, Mika was a Finn, RD seems to love Finns. Plus RD simply didn't want Ferrari to get him. As for Massa, I'm still a loss to explain how on earth he ended up at Ferrari. Last year the two Germans were roughly equal all year round, HHF getting the nod thanks to one hell of a lucky podium.

IF Nick can't get a race seat, he should either:

a. go testing
b. go racing somewhere else. Perhaps ChampCar...
Old 30 Jan 2004, 10:21 (Ref:856193)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Whilst i agree that he deserves the nod over other drivers........

Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
HHF getting the nod thanks to one hell of a lucky podium.

Couldn't the same be said about Nicks podium at Brazil 2001?

Last edited by Mr V; 30 Jan 2004 at 10:22.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 12:00 (Ref:856273)   #11
deeks6
Veteran

Now that Champ Car is GO for 04, NH should head straight over there if he doesnt get an F1 seat. It doesnt do any harm to go there (as against IRL) and IMO he would murder them.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 12:02 (Ref:856274)   #12
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V

Couldn't the same be said about Nicks podium at Brazil 2001?
Apart from the Renault last year, I would suggest if you got on the podium in the last 7 or 8 years in anything other than a McL, Ferrari or Williams, there was plenty of luck involved.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 12:07 (Ref:856278)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nick as ChampCar rookie of the year 2004 and Champion 2005 seems feasible, as you say. The series is a great root into F1, espeically if you were overlooked originally.

Frentzen was the wrong choice from Sauber. I believe sentiment and patronage overtook practicality and balance. Two fairly steady, experienced but unspectacular and predictable drivers rarely get the best out of each other. Nick probably was the better of the two, but he didn't really shine.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 12:38 (Ref:856310)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the problem with Heidfeld is that he's never done anything really memorable.

If they get the Jordan drives, I'm confident Allan McNish will have the upper hand over Nick.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 13:01 (Ref:856343)   #15
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
If they get the Jordan drives, I'm confident Allan McNish will have the upper hand over Nick.
never
Old 30 Jan 2004, 14:44 (Ref:856461)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I won't be drawn on whether McNish or Heidfeld would come out on top, if they end up together at Jordan. What I will say is that I have belived, since seeing him in F3000, that Heidfeld is massively talented (in a frustratingly smooth, low-key, unspectacular way) and would have been a very good choice to replace Hakkinen at McLaren. Is he good enough for championships? Perhaps; I certainly wouldn't bet against it. If only Mercedes still had a sportscar team...
Old 30 Jan 2004, 15:11 (Ref:856484)   #17
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
I think he is just seen as an anonymous driver. Pre the 2003 season, the Sauber line up looked to be as dull as dishwater, to my mind one cancelled the other out, and their was certainly no spark there in 2003. Notably Peter Sauber has looked to regain some impetus with his line up this year.

I guess it's the 'must have' factor, seemingly Nick doesn't have the appeal to excite team managers.
You've said it all ST.

Some drivers names are always in the news, and much of it is intentional, like JPM, Ralf, Kimi, Fissi, and Webber. They know how to market themselves. They keep themselves very much in the public eye. There opinionated and interesting. The Heidfelds, Frentzens, Panis's, and Firmans of the field, are hardly ever heard from. Nobody seeks them out for interviews, or information, or rumors, or cares about there views on anything. They certainly need to manage themselves better, especially when you aren't in one of the top teams.

Its not Heidfelds driving ability that is in question, but his public personna will add zero excitment to a teams personality, and thats one thing Jordan always had, excitement...
Old 30 Jan 2004, 15:44 (Ref:856516)   #18
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Spot on GP. Heidfeld is a nice bloke and a decent driver but I can't actually remember anything he's ever said in an interview (the same applies to Panis and Firman). I'd have said Frentzen wasn't in the same category - he had a very dry sense of humour and could usually be relied on to raise a smile in an interview.

I hope Nick does get a drive at Jordan - he should also be made to live with EJ for a bit - that should liven him up!
Old 30 Jan 2004, 17:05 (Ref:856612)   #19
Bridget Stone
Racer

Bridget Stone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just heared on german radio that Heidfeld is confirmed bij Jordanracing as driver with Jordan next year

love, bridget
Old 30 Jan 2004, 17:06 (Ref:856615)   #20
Bridget Stone
Racer

Bridget Stone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry, forgot the url: www.f1jordan.com

love, bridget
Old 30 Jan 2004, 17:25 (Ref:856645)   #21
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad to see Nick did indeed get the Jordan drive... not that the car is a gem, but it would be a shame to see him excluded from F1 this year...
Old 30 Jan 2004, 17:27 (Ref:856647)   #22
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just heard on Irish radio that he's signed too. Now who's bringing the shillings to the team?? Or did DHL/DP bring some cash to the table?
Old 30 Jan 2004, 17:42 (Ref:856665)   #23
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
autosport.com confirms the story too As EJ has pointed out Nick will be able to capitalise on situations he's definitely one of the drivers who usually keep themselves out of bother.

Will be interesting to see who partners him at Jordan, Eddie mentioned something about sponsors deciding that - ie B&H/McNish ??
Old 30 Jan 2004, 18:20 (Ref:856711)   #24
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ozman, stop acting like you're the only Heidfeld fan here.

I adore the guy and think he is massively talented. In the '70's, he would have had a front line drive and his smooth classical style would have brought much success.

Rumours suggest that Ralfie and Sir Frank won't come to an agreement for 2005 freeing up the second Willy's seat.
BMW have shown an interest in having a German in at least one of the seats. I'm not the first to suggest the Heidfeld might be that driver. (It would certainly be away for Bimmer to rub Merc's noses in it should it prove to be a successful alignment!)

If Nick can make a strong go of it in 2004 in a Jordan, we could well see him in a top 3 seat in 2005.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 18:20 (Ref:856712)   #25
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im hoping for Wilson or either Davidson.

McNish could be favourite because of his technical-skills, recent Michelin-knowledge and B&H-backing. Firman is ok, but nowhere near these three.