Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jan 2004, 00:54 (Ref:857063)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Jordan , McLaren and Minardi ?

having a look at the F1live website on the side they have a list of when new cars are or were to be launched , with just one more confirmed date to go (BAR Tomorrow) I was wondering if anyone knew when we will see the new Jordan , McLaren and Minardi's.
on that page they have question marks next to the launch dates , which I can understand from the minnows (Jordan and Minardi) due to unconfirmed drivers and dollars I guess but McLaren ??

they are usually big on pomp and ceremony so im surprised they havent announced a date as yet

so does anyone have any idea when these 3 teams will release their cars to the world ?

or will we just have to wait until melbourne to see what they have got ?
Old 31 Jan 2004, 01:04 (Ref:857071)   #2
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi are using the same car again
Old 31 Jan 2004, 01:05 (Ref:857073)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are they? What about the A23s they bought?

Heidfeld's been signed by Jordan and he said the EJ14 is due to be out next week, but no idea about a presentation.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 01:06 (Ref:857075)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The 'new' McLaren has been around for ages. AFAIK they will not be having a launch.

The never raced 18 has been developed into the 19 and will make its race debut in Melbourne. However it has been circulating since late last year.

McLaren laucnhes 'peaked' with the Spice girls in 1997 (I think), but have been getting more and more lower key since. So much so that I don't think there is one this year!

Minardi, I don't have a clue.

Jordan, there is a launch, I think it is sometime in the first week of February (?).
Old 31 Jan 2004, 01:07 (Ref:857076)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
Are they? What about the A23s they bought?
They can't use them due to the Concorde agreement. However they are taking certain aspects of them and 'developing' them. Which is, I think, the most sensible option.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 01:15 (Ref:857081)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's what I expected. You don't buy cars that HHF scored points with just to have them...
Old 31 Jan 2004, 01:17 (Ref:857083)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Minardi are using the same cars again ?????

what are they completely mad ?
Old 31 Jan 2004, 05:16 (Ref:857211)   #8
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mad

Quote:
what are they completely mad ?
...no. They are completely poor.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 06:02 (Ref:857218)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Minardi will launch a new car, and it will be based on the A23, and some of the PS03 to create the PS04.. or is it PS05?

It wont be much chop against the Jordan and Jag with what has to be said is an old shytter of an engine now. Here's hoping Jordan goes down the Merc route in 2005, so Minardi can have the ex-Jag/Jordan powerplant!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 31 Jan 2004, 11:56 (Ref:857480)   #10
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought P.Stoddart had don e an engine deal with Cosworth for this years engine and thats why the delay in the launch.I know i read it somewhere but I can't remember in what.As for Mclaren the 18 was never used and turned into the 19.One wonders if the 19 will be shelved and turned into the 20.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 31 Jan 2004 at 11:57.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 13:03 (Ref:857538)   #11
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
If Minardi do have to use last years engine they're stuffed. That engine had trouble lasting a race so it's got no chance of lasting a whole weekend.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 13:09 (Ref:857545)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Minardi were at their best in 2001 when they were reguarly scrapping with BAR, and Jaguar.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 14:11 (Ref:857590)   #13
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
Minardi were at their best in 2001 when they were reguarly scrapping with BAR, and Jaguar.
And were making use of Alonso's services...
Old 31 Jan 2004, 15:10 (Ref:857644)   #14
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
If Minardi do have to use last years engine they're stuffed. That engine had trouble lasting a race so it's got no chance of lasting a whole weekend.
Presumably they will just go with the old strategy of using a fresh engine for the race - the penalty for so doing would put them to the back of the grid... where they usually reside anyway.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 15:16 (Ref:857652)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the engine has been adapted for this year. I don't expect they'd use a fresh one at every race - that would not really be going with the spirit of the new rules.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 15:21 (Ref:857658)   #16
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I beg to differ with Minardi scrapping with BAR and Jag in 01. JV was out qualified once where other factors were involved. Not exactly scrapping.

Its a good idea if they do use the same car as long as there are motor improvements. They dont expect to win any races. In fact points are a gift for them. It is cheaper to try to develop the same car. They would hardly test the new one anywy so how would they even optimise it?

If Mac does not have anything then it would be a little disappointing. After all its good for team spirit.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 12:59 (Ref:858842)   #17
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Mclaren had a launch last year either. I don't think they have a problem with team spirit though.
If they do though I think winning the championship would help lift spirits.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 1 Feb 2004, 13:57 (Ref:858907)   #18
Joe Machado
Rookie

Joe Machado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Mad

Quote:
Originally posted by Korr
...no. They are completely poor.
On the subject of poverty we know that the new engine rules require them to last the entire weekend. Having said that we also know Jaguar and Jordan will have the same engines as it is impossible to use last year's to current rules. Question: What does Minardi get? They are customers as Jordan, therefore, are they getting 2004 spec engines? I am yet to see any news on that yet.

Last edited by Joe Machado; 1 Feb 2004 at 13:58.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 13:59 (Ref:858910)   #19
Joe Machado
Rookie

Joe Machado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren will do one of those "on track" happenigs, very low profile. Jordan is supposed to launch their new car this coming Wednesday at Silverstone, also another low profile launch.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 14:32 (Ref:858937)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
A bit pointless saying this, but I will anyway.

I think Minardi's best period came earlier in its career as a team. It started in F1 in 1985 and a few years later they were a decent mid-field team. I'd say the best period was somethng like '89 to '93.

In 1989 Martini actually led the Portugese GP for them. 1991 brought two fourth places (the highest finishing place for Minardi, another came in 1993) and 7th in the constructors championhip (and there was more than 10 teams then!).

Just a fairly interesting aside. I suppose I could find a stats site for this, hmmmm, what about this one: http://www.kes.hants.sch.uk/cgi-bin/...Minardi&type=c

Old 2 Feb 2004, 07:56 (Ref:859779)   #21
nippy
Racer

nippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 01 Mclaren and jordan were the last two teams to launch the new car other than prost who launched theirs half an hour before the pitlane opend in melbourne. So it is no suprise to me that Mcl and Jordan have not yet done so.

BTW:- Is the new B.A.R. black
Old 2 Feb 2004, 08:29 (Ref:859803)   #22
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, a month or two back (I'm a bit lost in time, so I don't know for sure) McLaren had an official launch at Valencia.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 08:59 (Ref:859832)   #23
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
They can't use them due to the Concorde agreement. However they are taking certain aspects of them and 'developing' them. Which is, I think, the most sensible option.
Not strictly true - the Agreement centres around the ownership of the IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) and it is my understanding that Stoddard acquired the IPR with the rest, so they could have run them. I think that Minardi will probably incorporate anything they found that was significantly superior - including aerodynamic keys (as the Arrows were very slippery).

WRT engines - it has been confirmed that due to the new engine rules Ford customers will get the same engine as Jaguar, although you could expect them to be a step behind on any developments.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 09:07 (Ref:859837)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stoddart will retain the 2003 engines, with some updates for reliability.... poor man...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House