Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 16 May 2014, 23:02 (Ref:3407085)   #1
trigger5012
Rookie

trigger5012 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track day newbie info.

hope someone can help.

i want to go on a track day, ive been into cars and motor sport for over 20 years but never done a track day.

so i was wondering if anyone could help me with tyres.

i am aware that using your car on a track day will put extra stress on the car, but i am only concerned about the tyres.

i have a 2000 bmw 316. nothing special. but i have no idea how long the tyres would last. i dont want to go on a track day and have to pay £200 for 4 new tyres at the end of it. so if i had brand new tyres, would i be able to go on a track day and still then use my tyres for regular road driving?

i know it depends on how hard you push the car, but just looking for a little guidance.

any help is appreciated.
Old 17 May 2014, 14:07 (Ref:3407260)   #2
Hammond
Rookie

United Kingdom
Doncaster
Hammond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having done several track days and been racing for 10 plus years, I wouldn't worry about tyre use age too much. If it your first time, just drive within your abilities and don't try to set any lap records. The biggest issue you will face is your brakes overheating. These will need to rest and cool before your tyres wear out. Just enjoy it and don't go there thinking you will set any lap records.
Old 17 May 2014, 17:38 (Ref:3407289)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sound advise above. You would be better off getting a good quality brake fluid into the system as you will probably be using them more than usual, or than needed.Other than that, just ease yourself into what you are doing-look well ahead and use your mirrors more especially before you even think about turning into a corner.When the flag comes out at the session end, consider that as a signal to ease right off thus allowing brakes etc a bit of a cooling period.Most of all enjoy it! Find somewhere flat to park up and leave the car in gear-DO NOT USE THE HAND BRAKE-they could stick on, warp the discs and so on.