Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jul 2007, 14:18 (Ref:1962489)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Ferrari front wheel covers

Yes, this could also go in the technical forum. Mods, feel free to move it there if you wish (wait a minute... ). Anyhow, the commentators here in Italy made a very big deal out of those new slitted front wheel covers that Ferrari used last race. The purpose is not only to cool the brakes, but also to channel the low density heated air from the brakes to the rear of the car, thus giving an aerodynamic advantage. The claim is that this innovation is the greatest single factor that led to their dominance last weekend.

And... since it does not rotate, nobody can say its a moving aerodynamic device.

How long until we see this on their rival's cars? (McLaren controversy excluded )

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 13 Jul 2007 at 14:20.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 15:07 (Ref:1962523)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I presume McLaren know how to do this

They are an interesting piece of kit, especially the wheel gun that comes with it. Didn't they have a slight problem after one of the stops at Silverstone? Although it was nothing major it does look like wheel changes are a little trickier now. This shouldn't be a big problem as the length of the stop is usually defined by the fuel not the tyre changes.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 15:14 (Ref:1962530)   #3
cjent
Rookie

United States
FL & NC, USA
cjent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw a bit on SPEED about this. Great idea, although just a clear hubcap, in appearance. Simple ideas always work best.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 15:36 (Ref:1962545)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I presume McLaren know how to do this

They are an interesting piece of kit, especially the wheel gun that comes with it. Didn't they have a slight problem after one of the stops at Silverstone? Although it was nothing major it does look like wheel changes are a little trickier now. This shouldn't be a big problem as the length of the stop is usually defined by the fuel not the tyre changes.

The tyre change is more complicated now, as not only do they have the funny gun, but they also appear to have to spin them to lock them into place. But it looked like it went off without a hitch to me - and I was in a room full of Ferrari fans holding their breath when they changed tyres
Old 13 Jul 2007, 17:53 (Ref:1962656)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The first time Kimi pitted, the wheel hub dropped off the tyres and the gun, which i presume isn't suppose to happen. As in, iirc, a different wheel hub got onto the car than the original.

That said, its a simple yet nice innovation from Ferrari, as many of their innovations usually are. Soon, teams will copy, but i think few will fully understand the concept and exploit it to the extent that Ferrari had.

Saying which, i doubt it is the main reason for Ferrari's dominance. Mclaren wasn't really that slow in comparison to Ferrari.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 20:21 (Ref:1962737)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Bling...bling....spinning hub caps....al da boyz down the hoodz ad im for ages...
Old 13 Jul 2007, 22:18 (Ref:1962791)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
neat but i saw a team with solid rears like the ferrari at silverstone... the fronts hmmm

aren't they actually air extractors? and not for smoothing the airflow out the rims? and the smoothing is a benefiT?
Old 14 Jul 2007, 00:48 (Ref:1962833)   #8
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Article on Motorsport enews on the rims, page 27

http://enews.mnews.com.au/
Old 14 Jul 2007, 06:01 (Ref:1962876)   #9
Fletcher
Rookie

Finland
Fletcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
The tyre change is more complicated now, as not only do they have the funny gun, but they also appear to have to spin them to lock them into place. But it looked like it went off without a hitch to me - and I was in a room full of Ferrari fans holding their breath when they changed tyres
I thought it took a bit more time than a normal tyre change, but as the refueling normally takes more time than changing tyres, it isn't that big a problem. In the Spa test reports it was said Ferrari still have some little problems with the stops.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 16:11 (Ref:1963131)   #10
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
And... since it does not rotate, nobody can say its a moving aerodynamic device.
They may not rotate, but the front wheels still steer, and wouldnt that count as movement?
Old 14 Jul 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1963147)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The centre of it wouldn't alter from the reference plane, though, would it?
Old 14 Jul 2007, 16:47 (Ref:1963153)   #12
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
I'd say it would. If the teams ideally want the steering movement to rotate on the centre of the tyres, then these rim shields being attached on the outside would still move in an arc through a complete turn. Either way i wouldve thought the rival teams could easily make a case against them for being moveable aerodynamic devices, unlike Renaults mass damper, but nothing's been done about it so far..
Old 14 Jul 2007, 17:36 (Ref:1963178)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As always, maybe its worth considering that why nothing has been done so far, and no teams have so far complained, (if that part is really that blatantly breaking any rules) is because that MAYBE there's a good chance that the front wheel design is clearly within the rules?
Old 14 Jul 2007, 18:09 (Ref:1963193)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Many things have been clearly within the rules, until they prove to be a success and are then banned at a convenient moment.

I don't think these will be such a success that they will suffer that fate though.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 19:10 (Ref:1963221)   #15
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Adam's right, they did have a problem at Silverstone. Got some pics at home from testing - will see if am "allowed" to put them up! May be interesting for some as closeups from the testing if you haven't seen them.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 00:04 (Ref:1963347)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

I don't think these will be such a success that they will suffer that fate though.
Might as well take them off then!
Old 15 Jul 2007, 00:36 (Ref:1963355)   #17
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Adam's right, they did have a problem at Silverstone. Got some pics at home from testing - will see if am "allowed" to put them up! May be interesting for some as closeups from the testing if you haven't seen them.
Great. Would like to see pics
Old 15 Jul 2007, 04:02 (Ref:1963402)   #18
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
As always, maybe its worth considering that why nothing has been done so far, and no teams have so far complained, (if that part is really that blatantly breaking any rules) is because that MAYBE there's a good chance that the front wheel design is clearly within the rules?
Renaults mass damper was legal for almost 12 months, right under the FIA's nose until McLaren complained about them. These front wheel shields have only been around for a few rounds.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 19:20 (Ref:1965033)   #19
Barberouge
Rookie

Western Sahara
Barberouge has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
They may not rotate, but the front wheels still steer, and wouldnt that count as movement?
I suspect that they are classed as brake ducts - so no problems with the rules.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 20:13 (Ref:1965082)   #20
Patrick Fletche
Racer

Patrick Fletche has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I could be wrong but I understand that these work in two ways. Firstly because they are sucking air out off the brakes the scoops and ducts to get the air to the brakes in the first place can be smaller. Not only does this mean less drag, it also means that more air is going over the aerodynamic devices, so they work better.

The second benefit is that they dump the air from the brakes into the low pressure area behind the front wheels, reducing their drag. It seems that the wheels make up about a third of the total drag of the car so there are big gains to be had.

There is plenty of time to do a more complicated wheel change because refuelling is the limiting factor, taking several times longer than a wheel change.

Let's see how soon they are copied.

I am new here so if I am just stating the obvious tell me and I will shut up.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 20:47 (Ref:1965117)   #21
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Welcome Patrick I agree on all counts - they appear to give a huge advantage.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 22:47 (Ref:1965225)   #22
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eor6UaJ_VGU
Old 16 Jul 2007, 22:53 (Ref:1965232)   #23
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e79SWyn6yg
Old 16 Jul 2007, 22:54 (Ref:1965233)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave not neil
If only they took that long in real life.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 03:50 (Ref:1965326)   #25
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't realize the cutout was intentional until I watched that second video. I was wondering if they were really that fragile which would seem a dangerous thing.