Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Feb 2012, 14:09 (Ref:3022659)   #126
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Lots of representation going on at Retromobile.I am happy with my situation and Ben and Eddie are still in mix.

I lodged Mr Drabbles dissapointment that a 901 Porsche had been accepted and their view was that its a very historic 2 litre car and proper and similar to those raced in 60's as many of the newer cars had been changed beyond recognition.
Just as well they don't run Spa 6Hr.
Old 7 Feb 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3022688)   #127
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
What's that supposed to mean?
Old 17 Feb 2012, 08:59 (Ref:3026976)   #128
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

next version of the entry list is out....sadly no entry for us in the 356 GT speedster.
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 17 Feb 2012, 12:08 (Ref:3027055)   #129
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
No Alta John. Are they scared?

No Harrington or Alpine in P3 either, I wonder if they missed the cut, or didn't bother entering.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 12:24 (Ref:3027059)   #130
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
next version of the entry list is out....sadly no entry for us in the 356 GT speedster.
Sorry to hear that Will - look forward to sharing a glass of something decent at Dijon though!
Old 20 Feb 2012, 17:01 (Ref:3028442)   #131
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The grids were all oversubscribed and lots of people who have backed the thing before and now dumped are ****ed off,including me.

There is still time as it all changes up to last minute.If you have had a 'Dear John' letter you are probably screwed but if not still have a chance.

See the grids are now set at 67 in each but that's not quite what it seems.

Same thing applies to Miglia Millia where 1500 cars have been turned down so that really has got some backs up.

Have to go to Goodwood!

Sure they still need a 58 Carrera Speedster GT and a real one!
Old 21 Feb 2012, 19:37 (Ref:3029078)   #132
fangio
Racer

fangio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, you're not the only one that's ****ed off!
One car accepted, one car refused, but then it was a car that actually raced at Le Mans so how can you expect that to get in with this f......ng selection committee!!!

They prefer cars that never raced at Le Mans, or for that matter never raced in the period.....or even better, cars that were constructed in the last 10 years or so.

Some people get 4 or 5 cars in, wonder how they do it.

I may cancel all together and swap Brands Hatch Masters for the Spa Classic.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 10:57 (Ref:3029362)   #133
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The grids were all oversubscribed and lots of people who have backed the thing before and now dumped are ****ed off,including me.

There is still time as it all changes up to last minute.If you have had a 'Dear John' letter you are probably screwed but if not still have a chance.

See the grids are now set at 67 in each but that's not quite what it seems.

Same thing applies to Miglia Millia where 1500 cars have been turned down so that really has got some backs up.

Have to go to Goodwood!

Sure they still need a 58 Carrera Speedster GT and a real one!
Just had a quick look at the pre-war entry list which is almost amusing.

Presumably anyone who really wants to be accepted should change their nationality to French and preferably enter a French car that has no relevance to the history of the 24 hours...

For example, why so many Grand Prix Bugattis - some races they were designed for might have been held at Le-Mans but they didn't last 24 hours, there is a clue in their 'name'!!!

Unfortunately while so many people keep entering these events nothing's going to improve.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3029410)   #134
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The selection process is crazy but we will do LMC this year with entries we have but are certainly giving Peter Auto Spa and Pau a miss despite having provisionally entered cars.Not much chance of us being involved with PA long term unless their attitude changes.

Le Mans will be our only French event .Pity.

Decent cars dumped and other iffy things accepted.

Makes you think Jean Sarge days were so straight forward.Never thought I would say that!
Old 22 Feb 2012, 13:59 (Ref:3029435)   #135
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The selection process is crazy but we will do LMC this year with entries we have but are certainly giving Peter Auto Spa and Pau a miss despite having provisionally entered cars.Not much chance of us being involved with PA long term unless their attitude changes.

Le Mans will be our only French event .Pity.

Decent cars dumped and other iffy things accepted.

Makes you think Jean Sarge days were so straight forward.Never thought I would say that!
I wasn't entirely surprised to hear that having a car prepared by a relative can help with selection.

It is a shame when there are so many important relevant cars available these days.

It's almost like thinking that J M Balestre's manipulation was at least intended to improve the spectacle in F1, whereas his replacement felt that everyone should get excited by strategy rather than racing.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 15:21 (Ref:3037060)   #136
Christian Devereux
Rookie

United Kingdom
London W4
Christian Devereux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lap in a GT40 1969

I hope you'll forgive the frivolous lightening of tone, but came across this and thought it entertaining.
For all those who haven't seen it before;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmA01dUhdPY
Old 10 May 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3072382)   #137
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It turns out the Tour de France is running between Abbeville and Rouen on the 4th of July, which is unfortunate for me, and maybe a few others, because that's where I am going to be on the way to Le Mans. Anyone have any cunning plans on how to avoid this area without getting lost or any experience of the Tour and the effects it has on local traffic? The Tour will presumably be off the motorway but Rouen could be a mess.
http://www.letour.fr/2012/TDF/COURSE..._parcours.html
Old 11 May 2012, 06:05 (Ref:3072538)   #138
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Am doing Teams for LMC despite saying I would never do it again!

They are being submitted on Tuesday.Anyone wants to be included please tell me.

Have spaces in most Grids except 3.We have nine Teams so far.

Sure TDF will not present to many problems as you can do Bridge without entering Rouen.Having visited TDF a few times worth watching.Cav wins sprint on flat stage?
Old 11 May 2012, 07:07 (Ref:3072548)   #139
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMC teams

Hi John,
We have 2 BMWs needing teams. Have sent you a PM. Alex
Old 11 May 2012, 07:18 (Ref:3072552)   #140
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Alex Thanks for note

Can find home for one of those and way things are going probably more.

Grids 2 and 5 are those we need.does Mark Hoble still read this stuff?

It's going to be eight Teams.
Old 11 May 2012, 07:46 (Ref:3072559)   #141
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pity, we're not arriving until 5th - wouldn't have minded seeing some of the TDF.

John, just out of interest (i.e. being nosey) what do you mean 'doing Teams' - are these mechanics for cars entered (I just presumed they'd already have those sorted) or something else? Please excuse the niave (but interested) spectator's question.

Gary
Old 11 May 2012, 08:17 (Ref:3072569)   #142
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Teams are made up of one car from each Grid.

There is a prize for scratch Team and Handicap.

You need all six cars to finish and two of them to have a good result.

We have been involved with four winning Teams and its the biggest cups and best prizes.

It's pure luck but the advantage of putting a Team together is that you get a designated pit based on the Team and if you know the people you are sharing with it helps when you have an engine to change at 2 am.Learnt this lesson in 2002 when we didn't do the Team thing and got thrown in with Picasso.His English improved through the night.
Old 11 May 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3072574)   #143
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks for that. Good luck!

Looking forward to watching.
Old 11 May 2012, 13:34 (Ref:3072673)   #144
Teddington Ted
Racer

Teddington Ted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Alex Thanks for note

Can find home for one of those and way things are going probably more.

Grids 2 and 5 are those we need.does Mark Hoble still read this stuff?

It's going to be eight Teams.
Yes I do ! Count me in.

Mark
Old 15 May 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3074785)   #145
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The Teams have been put together.Mr Hoble is in with a team of previous handicap winners.Have all these BMW's

WE probably need a further car in G4/5 but have two in those groups where the owners have told me 'put us in but am not sure if I have promised the car to someone else!'.

Remember this is the cream of Historic Drivers giving me this information.

If anyone wants a copy send me by pm your E mail address and will forward it to you.

Can probably do one more Team as have spares in G1/3/6
Old 17 May 2012, 10:30 (Ref:3075639)   #146
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
WE probably need a further car in G4/5 but have two in those groups where the owners have told me 'put us in but am not sure if I have promised the car to someone else!'.

Remember this is the cream of Historic Drivers giving me this information.
John, don't think I've laughed so much for a long time, thanks!
Old 19 May 2012, 10:03 (Ref:3076353)   #147
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
awseng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If of any use to anyone we have room available to transport cars to the event, email pm call for details
Old 19 May 2012, 10:15 (Ref:3076356)   #148
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Tell me about it.
We have at least three.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 18:01 (Ref:3094255)   #149
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Only a few weeks now until Le Mans Classic 2012

Cars need to be gotten ready
that elusive HTP needs to be chased up
ferry / flight booked
and more

how are You all getting on ?

we are a little behind but will make it up towards the end as per usual

Rudolf
Old 18 Jun 2012, 18:41 (Ref:3094279)   #150
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Rudolf-The car looked good in Antwerp.