Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Mar 2014, 01:31 (Ref:3375146)   #1
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Showing V$upercars our displeasure

V$upercars isn't going to listen to us about their betrayal of the fans re the 2015 TV deal.

The only way I can see that will have any effect is to contact sponsors of teams/cars/drivers and the series in general and ask them how they feel about a much reduced exposure for their products & services.

If enough sponsors were unhappy and complained to V$upercars, then we
might see some progress.

If anyone has alternatives, feel free to chime in.

P.S. Signing up for Poxtel is not a valid alternative.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 07:52 (Ref:3375235)   #2
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Although boycotting the sponsors of the series sounds like an extreme measure, if they continue to advertise with the series on Foxtel, it will indirectly have that effect anyway. If the followers of the sport don't have Fox, the advertising and promotional value to the sponsors will be highly diminished.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 08:00 (Ref:3375237)   #3
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My interest in V8 Supercars has pretty much reduced to watching the showcase events that are part of the Ten live package and having the others on the background as I attend to other things. No doubt the lack of eyeballs on their product compared with the FTA rounds will reduce advertising revenue naturally
Old 5 Mar 2014, 08:16 (Ref:3375245)   #4
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a stupid idea...

Anyway carry on..
Old 5 Mar 2014, 09:02 (Ref:3375267)   #5
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell_End View Post
Sounds like a stupid idea...

Anyway carry on..

OK, what's your solution?

I'm not proposing a sponsor boycott.

All I propose is to let sponsors know of the reduced audience and thus reduced exposure to the product/services.

The are getting less exposure for the same buck. Unless, of course,
sponsorship cost are to be reduced in line with the reduced audience.

Old 5 Mar 2014, 09:17 (Ref:3375278)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos WTF View Post
OK, what's your solution?

I'm not proposing a sponsor boycott.

All I propose is to let sponsors know of the reduced audience and thus reduced exposure to the product/services.

The are getting less exposure for the same buck. Unless, of course,
sponsorship cost are to be reduced in line with the reduced audience.

and you dont think sponsors would be aware of the potential for this.

However you are making some assumptions anyway, is there less exposure, no proof of this, just a personal opinion.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 09:53 (Ref:3375291)   #7
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
and you dont think sponsors would be aware of the potential for this.

However you are making some assumptions anyway, is there less exposure, no proof of this, just a personal opinion.
Fair point, Pecks. I am assuming a smaller audience. If the sponsors are aware of it- I dunno.

I'm semi retired so have plenty of time to stir the pot.
I'm still waiting for a plan B from other disgruntled fans.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 11:46 (Ref:3375316)   #8
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australian population as of 5th March 2014 = 23,406,620 (est.)
Total Foxtel subscriptions as of Dec 2013 estimated to be about 30% of the Australian population = 7,021,986.

Taking those figures into account, if the total V8SC watching audience was to be, at a guess, say 10% of the population, that would equal to 702,198.6 people with Foxtel subscriptions watching the V8's, and 2,340,662 people watching the V8's when on FTA. So it's fair to say that yes, it is less exposure for the sport as a whole.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3375320)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Total Foxtel subscriptions as of Dec 2013 estimated to be about 30% of the Australian population = 7,021,986.

Taking those figures into account, if the total V8SC watching audience was to be, at a guess, say 10% of the population, that would equal to 702,198.6 people with Foxtel subscriptions watching the V8's, and 2,340,662 people watching the V8's when on FTA. So it's fair to say that yes, it is less exposure for the sport as a whole.
so what percentage of that 2.3Mill (which is much higher than the true number) will watch the highlights package.

what percentage of people will make the step to foxtel and what percentage already have foxtel
Old 5 Mar 2014, 12:20 (Ref:3375328)   #10
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
so what percentage of that 2.3Mill (which is much higher than the true number) will watch the highlights package.
So what is the "true number" then?? That figure was taken from here at the time I posted. And I suppose you're more knowledgeable than the Australian Bureau of Statistics?? And as I said, an estimate.

As for the highlights package, I was referring to the viewers who watch the full races. Not the highlights package. I personally could not give a flying f#$k about the highlights package. And I feel many of the V8SC viewers would either.

Quote:
what percentage already have foxtel
You read?? I posted the figure of 30% of the population has Foxtel as of Dec 2013. Which by the way is much higher than the actual figure, which is really about 26%. But indications actually show the Pay-TV subscriptions in Australia are falling, not rising.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 13:43 (Ref:3375362)   #11
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Someone has their rose coloured motorsport glasses on. V8s wouldn't average even a quarter of the figure you've stated. Bathurst, the biggest race of the year, attracts ~1.2mm
Old 5 Mar 2014, 22:12 (Ref:3375533)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
So what is the "true number" then?? That figure was taken from here at the time I posted. And I suppose you're more knowledgeable than the Australian Bureau of Statistics?? And as I said, an estimate.

As for the highlights package, I was referring to the viewers who watch the full races. Not the highlights package. I personally could not give a flying f#$k about the highlights package. And I feel many of the V8SC viewers would either.

You read?? I posted the figure of 30% of the population has Foxtel as of Dec 2013. Which by the way is much higher than the actual figure, which is really about 26%. But indications actually show the Pay-TV subscriptions in Australia are falling, not rising.
As langers mentioned i was referring to the percentage that watch v8 supercars. Its not 10% for instance the viewers thats watched Clipsal was (for the sake of rounding) half a million (in capital cities, country viewers are additional, but anecdotal is a similar number to capital city viewers)

my question was, what percentage of viewers already have Foxtel, is it equal with the rest of the population, we dont know and how many will switch, Ive already read of people in forums who will make the change to foxtel.

ona separate note Foxtel is great for motorsport, if you are into motorsport you should get it because there is lots of motorsport on it. V8s will only make the package better for motorsport fans.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 00:44 (Ref:3375587)   #13
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
Quote:
As langers mentioned i was referring to the percentage that watch v8 supercars. Its not 10% for instance the viewers thats watched Clipsal was (for the sake of rounding) half a million (in capital cities, country viewers are additional, but anecdotal is a similar number to capital city viewers)

my question was, what percentage of viewers already have Foxtel, is it equal with the rest of the population, we dont know and how many will switch, Ive already read of people in forums who will make the change to foxtel.

ona separate note Foxtel is great for motorsport, if you are into motorsport you should get it because there is lots of motorsport on it. V8s will only make the package better for motorsport fans.
The trouble with Poxtel is you have to take so many channels of crap,with a few gems thrown in. As someone else observed, if you could pick channels individually I'd be a lot more interested.

There is a lot of motorsport on Poxtel, granted. But I'm mostly interested in V$supercars. And I'm not paying to get repeats of Love Boat, Gilligans Island, etc just to get V$supercars.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 03:41 (Ref:3375609)   #14
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos WTF View Post
The trouble with Poxtel is you have to take so many channels of crap,with a few gems thrown in. As someone else observed, if you could pick channels individually I'd be a lot more interested.

There is a lot of motorsport on Poxtel, granted. But I'm mostly interested in V$supercars. And I'm not paying to get repeats of Love Boat, Gilligans Island, etc just to get V$supercars.
Let me explain the economics of pay TV to you.The Essentials stations(with the exception of the Sky News stations that are a Rupert vanity project)are stations it costs next to nothing to program.This charge pays for all the technical ,administrative and marketing costs of running the network.All the stations that have substantial programming costs(sport,movies etc)are in separate packages.No one watches or cares about the Essentials package but this cost pays for the running of the network.The Sport Package fee pays for the programming costs of these stations.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 03:59 (Ref:3375612)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Generalised statement there.

Foxtel is great for all sports fans - however that doesnt mean they should get it due to financial constraints, access to foxtel etc.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 05:38 (Ref:3375624)   #16
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pay up suckas.

Seriously, Pay T.V. is a disaster for ratings but chances are like with the many other series worldwide moving towards the model the series is making at least a short-term cash grab. Sadly fans matter little in comparison.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3375664)   #17
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is they are moving to a pay model too soon. They needed to do what they did to us in New Zealand - make the free to air service so terrible that we'll do anything to be rid of it. Not showing any qualifying or features, showing highlights packages and even delaying the broadcast until 10pm on a Sunday evening! It wasn't too bad, as I could stay up and watch the F1 after at midnight, but once the promise of pay-tv sky coverage came along, a lot of the true fans took the plunge. I'm very happy with the service, great coverage, all qualifying sessions live and un-cut. My only gripe is they cut the coverage immediately after the trackside interviews at the end, but it's a minor gripe.

Sorry guys, give in to corporate greed, it is the way of the future.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 10:10 (Ref:3375701)   #18
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Sorry guys, give in to corporate greed, it is the way of the future.
I'd sooner fork my grannie over to Russia for work in the Siberian Salt Mines!

One must never buckle under the pressure of imminent, ongoing fiscal servitude to the smug & smarmy media masters, especially one so bloated, so full of self promoting, advertising, repetitive hogwash as Foxtel is here.

Rise up, my brothers & sisters - enslavement is not an option.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 11:16 (Ref:3375734)   #19
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And no one has thought that MAYBE Foxtel might launch a V8 Supercar SuperPass?

I asked Sky here in NZ to turn on Sport for Clipsal weekend and they said no. I asked why they can't pro rata it as I wanted it for only 4 days, not a full month which is their minimum.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 18:37 (Ref:3375862)   #20
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will NEVER EVER pay to watch the V8Supercars, if it is not on free-to-air, then I ain't watching

**** 'em
Old 6 Mar 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3375881)   #21
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I will NEVER EVER pay to watch the V8Supercars, if it is not on free-to-air, then I ain't watching

**** 'em
and that's pretty much it!!
If the product was of an exceptionally high level, it may be worthwhile. There will be some people who may see value in it, and therefore cough up the $900.00 (?) annually to watch, but like you, I'm not one of them. I'll take the stuff that's on FTA, and watch some more interesting racing via live streaming from overseas. There's no shortage of quality racing available. You do have to search sometimes, but it's there.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 20:59 (Ref:3375912)   #22
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

**** 'em
I am another who will never ever pay to watch. Have had Foxtel before, got sick of paying through the nose and still having to watch ads.
One hour highlights is a bit like eating cheese with the gladwrap still on, no progression, no strategies, usually a bunch of crashes followed by the winner getting the chequered.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3375945)   #23
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

The number of people who signed up for Foxtel in the year to the end of June [2012] grew by 1.3 per cent to 1.68 million.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/foxte...#ixzz2vDxbkKZM

From what I hear, the subscription rates have fallen from this figure, but we will leave that as conjecture!
Old 6 Mar 2014, 22:47 (Ref:3375952)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
I just wrote an email to all the key sponsors telling them how excited that i will be able to see more v8 coverage than i have ever seen before and live and commercial free
Old 6 Mar 2014, 23:09 (Ref:3375958)   #25
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I just wrote an email to all the key sponsors telling them how excited that i will be able to see more v8 coverage than i have ever seen before and live and commercial free

Did you include a question about what they thought about the shift?

It will be interesting to see how this move plays with the sponsors!