Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Sep 2016, 12:04 (Ref:3669959)   #26
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I do think McLaren values JB highly, and his relationship with Honda goes back years, of course. Maybe Jenson just does want a bit of a break, but isn't ready to retire yet. And the Spaniard has made noises about seeing if the 2017 regs excite him or not.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 14:37 (Ref:3669989)   #27
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm very sad to see JB out of a seat. Unfortunately I really don't see much chance that he'll be back in 2018.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 15:49 (Ref:3670019)   #28
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i think that is the end for his F1 career but he has plenty of raving left in him and his value to McLaren will be utilised but he is still free to try his hand at other things
Old 4 Sep 2016, 16:32 (Ref:3670027)   #29
cerdic
Rookie

cerdic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does seem a strange arrangement!

In his interview on Channel 4, Jenson mentioned simulator work next year. I wonder if McLaren and Honda want to use his experience to speed up development of the car? Three drivers can get through fifty percent more work than two...
Old 4 Sep 2016, 16:33 (Ref:3670028)   #30
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
i think that is the end for his F1 career but he has plenty of raving left in him and his value to McLaren will be utilised but he is still free to try his hand at other things
Like that McLaren Honda P1 thats totally not happeneing?
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 4 Sep 2016, 16:38 (Ref:3670030)   #31
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=Mike Harte;3669954]And why on earth, then, would McLaren now sign him up for a non-racing contract for a reputed £5 million for 2017. As BSF, above, says, he, Ron Dennis, could just as easily have shown him the door at no cost whatsoever, but has chosen to keep JB on the squad. Which seems to indicate that McLaren value him, especially considering that there must be a fairly long queue of thrusting young talents vying for the chance to get on to McLaren's books!

I think McLaren's overseas (mostly) investors value JB highly. 'Tis said that he owed his 2016 drive to their support, in the face of Ron's inclination to replace him. The new deal – which I doubt any of us saw coming – has the scent of compromise about it. Ron gets SvD in the car, the investors keep JB on board.

I'd dearly love to know how Jensen really feels about it. I can't believe the £5m was a clincher (he's worth £70m by all accounts) and I hope he's not putting too much hope and expectation into a return in 2018. Even if Alonso were to walk, I doubt that JB would be the number one choice replacement.

But I hope he's happy – and we'll miss him.

Last edited by sparkione; 4 Sep 2016 at 16:45.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3670044)   #32
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Clever boy. I'd take the 5million, and I still say it's Honda paying, not RD. He is a super sponsors dream, clean cut, articulate etc etc, and a good mentor for Stoffel. Common sense to me, and yes, poor sod, only 5million, keeps the Bank account ticking over...
Old 4 Sep 2016, 17:46 (Ref:3670050)   #33
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If it is the end for JB, I will miss him greatly.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 20:14 (Ref:3670099)   #34
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
win-win all over for JB.

-Squeezes out his last millions of the F1 game for practically no work at all

-Avoid all the cheesy farewell moments with endless handshakes and hugs and good-byes from people he probably doesnt even know

-Still keeps the tiniest of doors open (well if the '17 car bombs, nando leaves for sure, but would JB want to go on with the saga, hardly.....if the car however is a winner, there is precisely 0.0% chance JB will get near driving it in '18....other than for a demo down the Regent Street)
Old 4 Sep 2016, 20:31 (Ref:3670113)   #35
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My opinion, for what it's worth:

Jenson thought he was going to be kept on - and waited to the last minute to get the renewal. Meaning he never looked at other options seriously - I think we can guess they were Williams and Renault.

He was informed he wasn't going to be kept on - that the Board this time couldn't risk losing Stoffel.

Ron / the Board has cleverly edged Stoffel into the driver PR / Marketing activities - as clearly that's the biggest piece Jenson brings, and Stoffel 12 months ago brought limited PR value.

So, after seeing what happened with Kevin and Sergio - one season McLaren wonders - and with Fernando constantly stating he wants to quit if the new rules don't appeal to him, Jenson / his agent offered this deal-up begrudgingly.

This isn't Jenson nobly deciding to try new things in his life as his first-thought, I'm certain of that - Martin Brundle kept alluding to a similar tone of thought.

What is interesting, is if Fernando quits for 2018 - and Ron gets a shot at another driver he rates more than Jenson...I think that's a scenario that could see Jenson then land at Williams that season...
Old 4 Sep 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3670118)   #36
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At the end of next year there could be some German top liners looking at employment elsewhere and if the McLaren looked strong........
Old 4 Sep 2016, 20:56 (Ref:3670120)   #37
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
My opinion, for what it's worth:

Jenson thought he was going to be kept on - and waited to the last minute to get the renewal. Meaning he never looked at other options seriously - I think we can guess they were Williams and Renault.

He was informed he wasn't going to be kept on - that the Board this time couldn't risk losing Stoffel.

Ron / the Board has cleverly edged Stoffel into the driver PR / Marketing activities - as clearly that's the biggest piece Jenson brings, and Stoffel 12 months ago brought limited PR value.

So, after seeing what happened with Kevin and Sergio - one season McLaren wonders - and with Fernando constantly stating he wants to quit if the new rules don't appeal to him, Jenson / his agent offered this deal-up begrudgingly.

This isn't Jenson nobly deciding to try new things in his life as his first-thought, I'm certain of that - Martin Brundle kept alluding to a similar tone of thought.

What is interesting, is if Fernando quits for 2018 - and Ron gets a shot at another driver he rates more than Jenson...I think that's a scenario that could see Jenson then land at Williams that season...
I dont believe it was too late for Williams, or for that matter, that it is too late even now... Williams have openly complimented him and practicaly offered him the seat even via media, plus I dont see that they have a royal-flush option in place of Massa yet.... I think he could sign for that seat today if he wanted. I
Old 4 Sep 2016, 21:51 (Ref:3670137)   #38
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=spider;3670113]My opinion, for what it's worth:

I can't believe JB really thought Ron would keep him on – if an F1 drive really was his first priority then he'd surely have signed with Williams, who are likely to be at least as competitive as Macca next year.

Deep down, though, I think he knew the time had come to bow out; but the deal he's done keeps the door open whilst presenting alternative opportunities. He may well have been thinking more long-term, and it could prove to be a shrewd move.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 22:48 (Ref:3670153)   #39
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I have said in the Silly Season thread, it may simply be McLaren Honda don't want him on the market and taking his skill and knowledge to a competitor.
Old 5 Sep 2016, 09:09 (Ref:3670238)   #40
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
As I have said in the Silly Season thread, it may simply be McLaren Honda don't want him on the market and taking his skill and knowledge to a competitor.
That's exactly what it is. "We don't really want him, but he's too good to let others have". It's the same strategy McLaren and Mercedes used through the 00s and 10s, - sign up all these youngsters like di Resta, Paffet, Wickensm and Green. There's no space in F1 for them, but they don't want others using them. So pluck them out of their impressive single seater careers and drop them into DTM. Mercedes DTM seats are where single seater careers go to die.

This is no different.
Old 5 Sep 2016, 10:07 (Ref:3670245)   #41
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
while that might easily be the motivation on Mclaren's part, it takes two to tango. if JB genuinely wanted to race in F1 next year, he would be racing in F1 next year and Mclaren could do nothing about it.
Old 5 Sep 2016, 13:02 (Ref:3670274)   #42
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Indeed so. JB was out of contract at the end of the year and a free agent. I think Williams have missed a trick, but I suppose it depends on who gets Massa's seat. Alex Lynn?
Old 5 Sep 2016, 22:53 (Ref:3670368)   #43
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i could see JB being groomed for a management/Lauda type position within the team. long term even a team principle role.

i am curious to know why the 5mil though? on the surface, seems excessive but perhaps some clever accounting and he will have some sort of wages for shares/ownership swap arrangement

just speculating as there must be a more of a reason than a hedge against a vacant 2018 seat.

Last edited by chillibowl; 5 Sep 2016 at 23:04.
Old 6 Sep 2016, 00:20 (Ref:3670380)   #44
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i could see JB being groomed for a management/Lauda type position within the team. long term even a team principle role.

i am curious to know why the 5mil though? on the surface, seems excessive but perhaps some clever accounting and he will have some sort of wages for shares/ownership swap arrangement

just speculating as there must be a more of a reason than a hedge against a vacant 2018 seat.
Interesting idea Chilli, plus, $5M given his profile, value to sponsors and a future role in the team may be well worth it.
He would also be a significant bargaining chip against anyone wanting that seat in 2018, huge wage saving then.
Old 6 Sep 2016, 00:41 (Ref:3670384)   #45
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
just remember in all this - Ron's not daft
Old 6 Sep 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3670484)   #46
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
while that might easily be the motivation on Mclaren's part, it takes two to tango. if JB genuinely wanted to race in F1 next year, he would be racing in F1 next year and Mclaren could do nothing about it.
It is possible that he is just not enthused about competing for an uncompetitive team and he is simply keeping his options open in case anyone comes knocking in the remaining years of his front-line career.

By stepping back from a drive he is also likely to have more personal freedom to do other things, whether in business or motorsport. Don't be too surprised if we see him in World Rallycross at some point soon.
Old 6 Sep 2016, 11:46 (Ref:3670486)   #47
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I'm really surprised he didn't sign for Williams - and disappointed too. But it may just be that after 17 consecutive seasons, he's tired and wants a break. He's still super-fit, so he might come back in 2018.
Old 6 Sep 2016, 13:54 (Ref:3670521)   #48
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm a tad confused here, having read Tracsmart's opening post. Is Jenson Button leaving McLaren for a year or not?
Old 6 Sep 2016, 14:19 (Ref:3670525)   #49
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
He's becoming their reserve driver and an "ambassador" for the team in 2017.
Old 6 Sep 2016, 14:24 (Ref:3670527)   #50
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
He's becoming their reserve driver and an "ambassador" for the team in 2017.
Thanks, that's what I initially thought.