Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Sep 2017, 03:27 (Ref:3768469)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheese "Fuel Deficit Put Us Out At Sandown" - Caruso

Story Here

Slow in a straight line, uses more fuel, blows tyres, can pop in a hot lap now and again.

Not too much positive there
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Sep 2017, 03:39 (Ref:3768472)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so what was the excuse in the qualifying races. no fuel issues there, 10th and 11th

edit, that article is no longer found
Old 19 Sep 2017, 03:50 (Ref:3768476)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's odd...

Maybe the Nissan mafia rang up to complain?
Old 19 Sep 2017, 03:55 (Ref:3768477)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Try that...
Old 19 Sep 2017, 04:35 (Ref:3768482)   #5
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
They really are in a world of pain aren't they?

How many years now and still fuel consumption is an issue. When they first appeared there were some saying that their "advanced" engines would overcome the "dinosaur" pushrod motors but what we're now seeing is that life is never that simple.

Their continual issues with tyres is weird - maybe their "conservative" settings are still simply going too far beyond the limit that most other teams have worked out. Interesting comment from Lowndes on the weekend regarding the aero impact of running behind the Nissans being different from the other makes - maybe that different aero has the Nissans behaving really differently from the others, leading to their tyre issues?
Old 19 Sep 2017, 05:35 (Ref:3768490)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps they need a better aerodynamicist?

I find it odd how some are saying they're jets in a straight-line, and others are saying they're a rolling road block. Perhaps that's the difference between the Kelly cars, and the 3rd and 4th-string entrants?
Old 19 Sep 2017, 05:49 (Ref:3768491)   #7
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what is the answer, seeing as the line "try harder, do more development" isn't allowed in modern motorsport.

10 compulsory pitstops at Bathurst?

180ltr fuel dumps in the 200 & 250km races?
Old 19 Sep 2017, 05:53 (Ref:3768493)   #8
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
some saying that their "advanced" engines would overcome the "dinosaur" pushrod motors but what we're now seeing is that life is never that simple.
Of course, when you put limits on the "advanced" engines it's no longer much chop. I have a feeling the poor thing (like a lot of Jap donks) just wants to revvvvvvvvvvv
Old 19 Sep 2017, 06:26 (Ref:3768500)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
So what is the answer, seeing as the line "try harder, do more development" isn't allowed in modern motorsport.

10 compulsory pitstops at Bathurst?

180ltr fuel dumps in the 200 & 250km races?
Prodrive are still pushing development on their powerplants years after that package entered the series. NisMo could do the same..
Old 19 Sep 2017, 07:27 (Ref:3768509)   #10
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nissan should probably consider being an early adopter of the GTR engine until Gen 2 rules. It doesn't matter that Holden are just dabbling, Nissan should just stick them in for the full season and demand the concessions are such that they have parity with the Ford and Chevrolet V8s.

Quote:
When they first appeared there were some saying that their "advanced" engines would overcome the "dinosaur" pushrod motors
I refer you to both Australia's own Repco and Cosworth, selecting a 4 valve DOHC configuration for their Formula 1 V8s some 50 years ago, and foregoing the option to use the simpler and more compact 2 valve pushrod OHC layout.

A choice of more compact pushrod layout, which interestingly enough, all Formula 1 engine manufacturers have opted against until the present day.

It must be remembered, Nissan were given less concessions on engine design than Mercedes and Volvo were permitted.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 08:24 (Ref:3768518)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I am interested as to why the story disappeared
Old 19 Sep 2017, 09:35 (Ref:3768520)   #12
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was infected with malware.

I opened it on my phone, and things went a little crazy.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 01:47 (Ref:3768686)   #13
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know what all the fuss is about, it's almost October and Nissan's annual "we are now concentrating on developing the car for next year" story. Its how I remember to wind my clock forward for daylight savings.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 01:50 (Ref:3768688)   #14
Umai Naa
Veteran

I predict a Nissan will top practice at some stage over the course of the weekend, and at least one of the drivers will whinge about their lack of pace.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 02:20 (Ref:3768695)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Of course, when you put limits on the "advanced" engines it's no longer much chop. I have a feeling the poor thing (like a lot of Jap donks) just wants to revvvvvvvvvvv
Agree although the limits were there & known about long before Nissan started using this engine. The rev limit in particular always meant to me that the pushrod engines would still be effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I refer you to both Australia's own Repco and Cosworth, selecting a 4 valve DOHC configuration for their Formula 1 V8s some 50 years ago, and foregoing the option to use the simpler and more compact 2 valve pushrod OHC layout.

A choice of more compact pushrod layout, which interestingly enough, all Formula 1 engine manufacturers have opted against until the present day.
In a completely different formula, where engine revs were not restricted and the cars a much lower weight, with free final drive and gear ratios then DOHC engines make all the sense in the world.

In a rev-restricted, parity touring car set of regs, the DOHC engines are OK but not world beaters and so far have struggled to deliver in the way that some thought they would.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 06:52 (Ref:3768731)   #16
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

In a rev-restricted, parity touring car set of regs, the DOHC engines are OK but not world beaters and so far have struggled to deliver in the way that some thought they would.
Indeed. Though the Volvo, being allowed a smaller bore and longer stroke than everyone else -- better suited to low rpm, seemed to be instantly producing the required power, and combined with the smaller size of the Volvo S60 (i.e., less drag)... Was the Volvo actually the fastest car in a straight line?
Old 20 Sep 2017, 08:30 (Ref:3768746)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
A retuned version of the original story appeared Here, complete with different quotes, no malware, and a much softer tone.

Still reckon the thought police took the original story for a hit, to get it removed..

Odd...
Old 27 Sep 2017, 18:50 (Ref:3770157)   #18
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
A retuned version of the original story appeared Here, complete with different quotes, no malware, and a much softer tone.

Still reckon the thought police took the original story for a hit, to get it removed..

Odd...
Wow, and the article is not open for comments either. Someone inn NisMo PR did a serious cleanup job on that article...