Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Feb 2007, 14:23 (Ref:1840414)   #1
DanJR1
Racer

DanJR1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to the Panoz LMP?

why did they leave the LMP class?
Old 13 Feb 2007, 14:44 (Ref:1840426)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do we have a prize for the most open ended query?

Whatever the reasons, and I suspect there were many, they've done pretty well in their new 'home' in GT2.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 14:56 (Ref:1840430)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah ..... big shame that was . Their LMP1 was about one of the most crowd pleasing LMP's ive ever seen !!!

I reckon they left , cuz they eventually found out that Audi was too strong to beat with that car and the cost of building a new beast was maybe a little out of their budget .
Old 13 Feb 2007, 16:36 (Ref:1840496)   #4
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Plus the car was pretty old come '02-03 kinda time..?
Old 13 Feb 2007, 16:40 (Ref:1840498)   #5
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They must be overdue a return??

Elan are well capable of building one so why not???
Old 13 Feb 2007, 16:54 (Ref:1840508)   #6
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I think it was mostly a case of risk vurses reward. IIRC, the Andy Thorby designed LMP07 didn't work well, and caused Panoz to go unrecoverably backward compared to Audi. And it makes a point about that whole class. Going up against Audi means you either throw money at it to build a better R10 (which might be impossible and is likely to fail). OR you try and do what Panoz did and go ultra radical and gamble that you hit on something new nobody else had spotted, again obviously risky and likely to fail.

In short why not spend less money on a class to you have a viable chance of sucess in? After all, that's exactly what Audi have done by staying in prototyes and out of F1.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 17:35 (Ref:1840535)   #7
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
In short why not spend less money on a class to you have a viable chance of sucess in? After all, that's exactly what Audi have done by staying in prototyes and out of F1.
Big fish, little pond syndrome for Audi,

In GT2 last year Panoz had some v lucky breaks but did what they set out to do, finish races
Old 13 Feb 2007, 18:36 (Ref:1840590)   #8
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w

Marketing.

Panoz sells a fair number of Elans. So GT2 is a huge marketing venue for them.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 19:16 (Ref:1840627)   #9
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you mean Esperantes. Elan makes the engines.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 19:35 (Ref:1840643)   #10
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
I think you mean Esperantes. Elan makes the engines.
What ever
Old 13 Feb 2007, 20:04 (Ref:1840660)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Elan is the company behind the racing cars and is owned by the Panoz empire.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 00:22 (Ref:1841781)   #12
brihev
Rookie

United States
Tampa FL
brihev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panoz

Bring back a remake of the GTR1!!
Old 15 Feb 2007, 00:53 (Ref:1841789)   #13
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brihev
Bring back a remake of the GTR1!!
Quite possably the loudest and most ear splitting sound I ever heard at a race meeting!
Old 15 Feb 2007, 18:06 (Ref:1842379)   #14
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and the remade GTR1 would be dog slow probably, sullying panoz race reputation but a great treat for the ears.

i think panoz withdrew from LMP1 mainly because in 2003 the car was reaching the end of its competitive life, by 03 they were struggling against the audi R8's with the modified aero packages and wider track.

panoz probably saw it from a business standpoint, they could make more money by making a competitive, front running GT2 car and selling them to customer teams.

but thats my opinion, there is probably bazillions of reasons possible
Old 15 Feb 2007, 18:11 (Ref:1842388)   #15
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well the LMP07 effort certainly didn't help their cause. Surely that was an expensive endeavor. After the LMP1 ceased to be competitive it probably made more sense to go GT2 racing considering their business model. However, a Panoz prototype team certainly would have been more beneficial to the series these past few years.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 18:29 (Ref:1842405)   #16
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it sure would have been, ALMS is in a spot of bother in LMP1, especially GT1, but with the advent of intersport in P1 in the ALMS with the creation CA06H judd things arent looking as grim.

personally i would love to see a new panoz LMP1 or LMP2 car, especially with a super loud rumbly V8 engine
Old 16 Feb 2007, 00:44 (Ref:1842734)   #17
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't forget it must spit 3ft flame out the sides as well.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 13:15 (Ref:1843124)   #18
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Truth be told (and I loved it as much as anybody I know), the LMP01/Roadster S was out of date as early as '01. It was only very spirited or genius drives by Brabham,Magnussen & Katoh that flattered it. I think that the LMP07 problems came as a complete shock, on paper it really should have been very competitive. It seemed to me that it sapped the team's morale and will as well as it's finances.

FWIW - Despite it's lack of Le Mans Sucess, I think the LMP01 had something special that earned in the history books and the hearts of Sportscar fans everywhere.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 21:40 (Ref:1843425)   #19
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Well, in '99 it was as fast as the Toyotas. But the Audi R8 was far better overall than the Toyota GT-One. And it was Panoz trying to beat Audi that lead to the LMP07. Most of the car's problems was that it used the Zytec ZB408 engine, which used a flatplane crankshaft, and shook the car apart. It was also a tall as the 351ci/5.8liter Ford based 6liter OHV small block V8 that it replaced.

Audi had no problems with the use of a flatplane crank, but their engine turned such low RPMs that it wasn't a problem(Audi R8 3.6 TFSI redline: 6250-7000, Zytec 4 liter redline, about 9300).
Old 19 Feb 2007, 08:26 (Ref:1845271)   #20
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Yeah, the old girl was LOUD, very LOUD but she was NEVER getting cheated in top speed. Old Man Jack knows how to build Ford engines daddy and he never disapointed.

The LMP01 and the Batmoblie had as much grunt as anything else every to have pushrods.

And it hussled that car down Muslanse with authority, you can see it in any video...

Pretty darn good for 50 year old American technology...

But yes, they threw all their eggs in the basket with the 07 and it was flawed, badly.

Don just couldn't see putting more money into and stepped back. In fairness to Panoz, the roadster didn't have much in common with the street going car for the most part. At least the Batmoblie looked like the street car in a sort of cartoonish/NHRA Funny Car sort of way.

In any case, in the anlles of sportcar racing lore, she has her place in history assured.

Old 19 Feb 2007, 14:27 (Ref:1845545)   #21
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you have any more pics or vids, could you please post them or links to them? All I have is a few pics I took here and there and vids are very difficult to come by.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 14:29 (Ref:1845546)   #22
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Im looking for some LMP1 Panoz wallpaper or big pics ?

A video would be nice , just to remind me . Lovely machine .
Old 19 Feb 2007, 16:47 (Ref:1845623)   #23
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thorby has mentioned on Mulsannescorner- that the project wasn't finished, and rushed a bit.
He would love to have a crack at it to make it work better
(could Panoz do it with a 4 litre turbo?)
or the R8 turbo up front? after all there was an Esperante twin turbo built that had an audi motor up front instead of the usual ford...
why not rty that in the LMP01 just to see- cheaper- known good chassis and motor- of course with out the sound is it still the Panoz?
That was awesome.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1845653)   #24
class4v
Racer

class4v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
End 2004 their was a discussion between Panoz and Courage to develop a P1 project together. But from what I've heard Panoz wanted still to use his older V8 engine which was difficult to install in a new modern chassis and there were no funds to develop something new.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 19:17 (Ref:1845705)   #25
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only video I've seen so far is this very short one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuqQGo4a-wg