Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Apr 2009, 04:00 (Ref:2430264)   #51
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Garry Rogers in Auto Action today-

"We hadn't run it and there were some problems with the steering on it (Caruso car). With the Holdsworth car, there was something wrong with the rear end of the car. We don't know what it was and in actual fact, we haven't fixed it yet. When we practiced on Thursday we found the problem, and it didn't rectify itself so we didn't want to go spearing into the first corner and end up creating havoc for everyone."
It's a shame that the normally self rectifying race cars weren't able to rectify themselves over the course of four days.

Can Garry not lie straight in bed, or is the team just incompetent?

Fair enough that he didn't want to compete and he got a heap of free publicity for his cause, but who seriously takes this bait?
Old 1 Apr 2009, 06:42 (Ref:2430318)   #52
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
PhaseIII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
... but who seriously takes this bait?
... the 50 posters before you ???
Old 1 Apr 2009, 06:52 (Ref:2430322)   #53
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres an idea to give teams incentive to race instead of circulating and saving tyres for testing.

Give them four full sets for the weekend, a set for qualifiying and a set for each race, BUT the tyres must be handed back to Dunlop at the end of the weekend regardless of condition.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 21:21 (Ref:2430890)   #54
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsport View Post
Here's an honest question.
Why isn't the AGP pseudo round just made a round of the Championship?
Being an FIA sanctioned Series, maybe Bernie (the real one, not the self-styled copy) has a say in this?
Quote:
Does AVESCO preclude an event being a round if it isn't (equal) top billing?
Rhetorical question isn't it? The answer should be obvious

Last edited by NewsStalker; 1 Apr 2009 at 21:21. Reason: Spelling :(
Old 1 Apr 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2430906)   #55
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought the answer was that Bernie (the real one) would not let it be a championship round. I think the Melbourne F1 contract was extended last year, which is unfortunate as I understand Bernie is now a lot more open to negotiation...
Old 2 Apr 2009, 02:46 (Ref:2431023)   #56
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsport View Post
Here's an honest question.
Why isn't the AGP pseudo round just made a round of the Championship?
Does AVESCO preclude an event being a round if it isn't (equal) top billing?
In all likelihood this is a television issue, not some clandestine conspiracy theory (a surprise I know..)

It has been widely reported that contracts are in place for all current V8Supercar championship rounds to be shown exclusively on #7. If this is indeed the case, then #10 would not be able to televise V8 Supercar Championship round races from the AGP as #7 has the rights to the series, rights they allegedly paid a pretty penny for.

Having said that, #10 seems to be able to telecast non-championship V8Supercar races from the AGP (which is what is happening now). Or OneHD.. same thing different stickers...

It is likely that the only way for anything to change is if either the AGP promoters and organisers and/or Uncle Bernie's F1 group, allowed #7 to televise the V8Supercar races from the AGP.

The other issue often discussed is around the scheduling of the races, that the races are time limited, being the last event of the day, which could have sponsors and teams disadvantaged. Yes its the same for everyone, but turning the lights off at 7pm because its time to go home when the circuit is still in a usable condition, and the sun is still lighting the sky maybe not so clever...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Apr 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2431078)   #57
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dreiver TBA, you can give them a new set of tyres for each session, but those who don't wish to risk bending their cars at a non championship round in a concrete tunnel will probably still not have a real go. I was asked about running at Clipsal a few years ago and decided I wouldn't take the increased risk inherent in these types of tracks with little run off areas and possibly writing off my car.
I was at the track so didn't see any of Roger's comments, but I feel that it is obviously not a sporting decision, but understand the reasons for it. Having said that, I should state for the record that I would run at the GP if given the chance as there is a lot more run off than at Clipsal so I'd risk it, but there agian we don't often to rub panels to make a pass stick.

I wasn't there last year (or whichever year it was that the V8s weren't there), were the crowd numbers down from this year. The last time I went was 3 years ago and compared to this year the crowd was huge then. Are the V8s that important to the success of the overall event?

Lowndes seemed on fire over the weekend, why the difference from his Clipsal performance?
Old 2 Apr 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2431120)   #58
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
In all likelihood this is a television issue, not some clandestine conspiracy theory (a surprise I know..)

It has been widely reported that contracts are in place for all current V8Supercar championship rounds to be shown exclusively on #7. If this is indeed the case, then #10 would not be able to televise V8 Supercar Championship round races from the AGP as #7 has the rights to the series, rights they allegedly paid a pretty penny for.

Having said that, #10 seems to be able to telecast non-championship V8Supercar races from the AGP (which is what is happening now). Or OneHD.. same thing different stickers...

It is likely that the only way for anything to change is if either the AGP promoters and organisers and/or Uncle Bernie's F1 group, allowed #7 to televise the V8Supercar races from the AGP.

The other issue often discussed is around the scheduling of the races, that the races are time limited, being the last event of the day, which could have sponsors and teams disadvantaged. Yes its the same for everyone, but turning the lights off at 7pm because its time to go home when the circuit is still in a usable condition, and the sun is still lighting the sky maybe not so clever...
Television, you're right! I forgot about that. IIRC, don't NASCAR Sprint and Nationwide races have different broadcasters? They make it work!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 10:28 (Ref:2431220)   #59
Scream'n_Demon
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Scream'n_Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its obvious that the GP missed the V8s when they weren't there, and its also obvious that most of the teams want to race at the GP for coverage purposes.

But going along to use it as a test session, especially such an obvious one on the part of GRM is rediculous. I can understand that they didn't want the cars bent etc, but I'm sorry, its V8 Supercars and crashes happen. Thats life in V8s and if you don't like it then go race Aussie Racers or something. Harden the F... up GRM and get on with it. I'm sick of V8 supercar teams and drivers acting as if the world owes them something. Its them that owe the fans.

Championship round or not, the fans watching the cars go around at the GP are still fans, and have the same right to see the cars race as any other round.

Also, why didn't GRM take the opportunity to take out Murphy when they had the chance to not miss out on any points by becoming part of the accident. Its an old car anyway?
Old 2 Apr 2009, 10:59 (Ref:2431254)   #60
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream'n_Demon View Post
Its obvious that the GP missed the V8s when they weren't there, and its also obvious that most of the teams want to race at the GP for coverage purposes.

But going along to use it as a test session, especially such an obvious one on the part of GRM is rediculous. I can understand that they didn't want the cars bent etc, but I'm sorry, its V8 Supercars and crashes happen. Thats life in V8s and if you don't like it then go race Aussie Racers or something. Harden the F... up GRM and get on with it. I'm sick of V8 supercar teams and drivers acting as if the world owes them something. Its them that owe the fans.

Championship round or not, the fans watching the cars go around at the GP are still fans, and have the same right to see the cars race as any other round.

Also, why didn't GRM take the opportunity to take out Murphy when they had the chance to not miss out on any points by becoming part of the accident. Its an old car anyway?
LOL, listen to yourself.

You say 'its V8s, crashes happen'. Thats perfectly right. So not wanting damages cars, he acted in a perfect manner. His cars were proven front runners at clipsal, and one was taken out by someone who had a brain freeze. Eliminating that at this event was a great team owner move!

I'm not owed anything by the drivers at a non championship event. It makes complete sense not to get involved in other peoples petty problems, keeping the cars straight. I think some fans need to harden the **** up.

Garry probably doesn't want to take Murphy out where he can be penalised back for it.

Does anyone know if you could bet on this event, even tho it was non championship? Thats the only bad things i could see coming out of this for GRM (although, he covered himself by sayin the cars had 'faults' which no-one can proove yay or nay about)
Old 2 Apr 2009, 11:14 (Ref:2431268)   #61
Scream'n_Demon
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
I'm not owed anything by the drivers at a non championship event.
Why do they charge you to get in then? Why bother having a race, why not just have an official test session. This is the problem with V8SC these days. The whole thing takes its self so seriously that it forgets who pays the bills.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 13:17 (Ref:2431368)   #62
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why do they charge you to get in then? .
To see F1. Like it or not, V8s are a side act on the programme. It's easy to say harden up, but don't forget there is still an awful lot of concrete round the circuit, do you have the balls to race there at near 300 kph?
I found it starnge that they ran around at the back and stayed away from everyone else and would rather have seen them mixing it up, but let's not presume we know all the reasons why.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2431428)   #63
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Why do they charge you to get in then? Why bother having a race, why not just have an official test session. This is the problem with V8SC these days. The whole thing takes its self so seriously that it forgets who pays the bills.
If you 'payed' money to go see a non championship V8sc even, you have a serious problem (not counting the test days where there was a donation to charity, worthy cause right there!)
Old 2 Apr 2009, 23:10 (Ref:2431929)   #64
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like a previous post I can't understand why everyone is so obsessed with championship points.The only teams/drivers these are relevant for are those with an actual chance of WINNING the championship.In 2009 there are only 5 cars in the field with the combination of driver ability and team technical resources to be champions-2x888,2xHRT and Mark Winterbottom.The best the other 25 can hope for is consistent placings and perhaps a race win or two.I could put up the names of the drivers from any of the past 5 years who finished 5th,9th,13th and 17th in the Championship and I doubt even their mothers couldn't tell me who finished where without looking it up.For all but these 5 a good result at Albert Park should mean at least as much as a good result at Hamilton or any other round except Bathurst.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 02:37 (Ref:2432000)   #65
Scream'n_Demon
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
To see F1. Like it or not, V8s are a side act on the programme.
I'm under no illusion as to why the V8s are there, they are a great side act too, when they bother to race.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 02:46 (Ref:2432005)   #66
Scream'n_Demon
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Quote:
If you 'payed' (lol) money to go see a non championship V8sc even(t?), you have a serious problem (not counting the test days where there was a donation to charity, worthy cause right there!)
LOL Why have them on the program then? Why not put something on thats actually entertaining?
Old 3 Apr 2009, 05:45 (Ref:2432038)   #67
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
LOL Why have them on the program then? Why not put something on thats actually entertaining?
You havn't even read the thread have you? Thats what people want, the GP round as a proper championship round, thus giving them something to race for, which will in turn make things entertaining. Until that happens, deal with the fact that they are just having an extended test session.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2433121)   #68
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was pretty disgusting, it shows Garry & his team aren't real racers & are only in it for the $$$. If I was one of their sponsors I'd want my money back & a good explanation why they felt one of the years biggest races wasn't worth their effort.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2433163)   #69
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY View Post
I thought it was pretty disgusting, it shows Garry & his team aren't real racers & are only in it for the $$$. If I was one of their sponsors I'd want my money back & a good explanation why they felt one of the years biggest races wasn't worth their effort.
Your saying his sponsers would rather him spend thousands on car repairs, money that, with a straight car, would be spent on development to make the cars faster/perform better?

I know where i'd rather my sponsership dollars to go.

If he did it during a normal race meeting, and just pulled both his cars for the fun of it, yes you'd have an argument. Fact is the GP is just a support event! Nothing more.....
Old 4 Apr 2009, 20:08 (Ref:2433546)   #70
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Your saying his sponsers would rather him spend thousands on car repairs, money that, with a straight car, would be spent on development to make the cars faster/perform better?

I know where i'd rather my sponsership dollars to go.

If he did it during a normal race meeting, and just pulled both his cars for the fun of it, yes you'd have an argument. Fact is the GP is just a support event! Nothing more.....
and who picks up the bill for Garry to attend these " just a support" events??? i'm sure they'd rather get value for money.. rather than throwing away thousands of $$$$'s on 2 race cars that refuse to race
Old 4 Apr 2009, 20:12 (Ref:2433548)   #71
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
next GRM will avoid practice & qualifying sessions in case their cars get damaged and cost them the championship
Old 4 Apr 2009, 20:15 (Ref:2433551)   #72
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Its already been well established they got excellent value for money at the GP event.

Your 2nd comment is borderline something you'd hear in a kindergarten.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 22:31 (Ref:2433622)   #73
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
next GRM will avoid practice & qualifying sessions in case their cars get damaged and cost them the championship
Or refuse to back the truck out of the driveway in case it gets wiped out.

Having been I fan of Gary since I was a kid I was extremely disappointed with the show he put on at the AGP.

While I can understand his reluctance to risk damage to his car his team was paid to race and spectators paid to watch.

But all Gary achieved was to insult the paying public.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 22:31 (Ref:2433623)   #74
Scream'n_Demon
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Quote:
You havn't even read the thread have you? Thats what people want, the GP round as a proper championship round, thus giving them something to race for, which will in turn make things entertaining. Until that happens, deal with the fact that they are just having an extended test session.
Yes I have read the thread, but I think we can all agree that this will never be a championship round because of the broadcasting rights issue (it would be nice though).

My point is that the teams should just get on with it and put on a show which is what they are paid and contracted to do. If they aren't going to bother doing that, then why have them on the card?
Old 5 Apr 2009, 01:27 (Ref:2433672)   #75
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think GTR had a good point right up front in this thread - forget the main game and send in the development series - the circuit attendees who are mainly there to see F1 would find that just as entertaining. To be honest I hardly even glanced at the V8s it held no interest for me whatsoever with its manufacturer points weekend theme - I did however watch each F5000 and GT event - they held far more relevance - Id have loved to see the FF's as well - way ahead of the V8's. I dont blame Garry Rogers at all for protecting his investment given he'd had a car wrecked the weekend before by that idiot Murphy.