Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Apr 2009, 09:50 (Ref:2437249)   #51
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i liked last years qualifying and many years before that (start sunday where you finish saturday), nothing wrong with it, it rewarded the good qualifiers and if you stuffed qualifying you could work your way forward and be rewarded. never complained about it, the only thing i liked this year was the return of the shootout.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 10:04 (Ref:2437257)   #52
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
i liked last years qualifying and many years before that (start sunday where you finish saturday), nothing wrong with it, it rewarded the good qualifiers and if you stuffed qualifying you could work your way forward and be rewarded.
But this year each race is defined as a separate event. So fair enough, your result in the first race shouldn't carry over into the second, seeing as they are separate. Having one session for both of them doesn't show them as separate, and having a full, three tier system dedicated to one race and only 20 minutes for the other simply doesn't make sense, and makes it seem that the Saturday race is more important.

Two qualifying sessions, equal length, one after the other on Saturday. Leave the shootouts for PI and Bathurst. If anyone has a more logical idea that still shows each race as separate I'm all for hearing it.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 9 Apr 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2437263)   #53
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
i liked last years qualifying and many years before that (start sunday where you finish saturday), nothing wrong with it, it rewarded the good qualifiers and if you stuffed qualifying you could work your way forward and be rewarded. never complained about it, the only thing i liked this year was the return of the shootout.
yes you did complain about it, you complained about it in the previous post when you said "they raced but didn't put it all on the line & risk big daage. "

the qualifying they came up this years meant you could put it all on the line and try and stick it down the inside, if it didnt pay off your weekend wasn't over. because you got to go back and try again the next day.

thats wheer llast years qualifying style failed, it punished the risk takers meaning more processional racing
Old 9 Apr 2009, 14:12 (Ref:2437429)   #54
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
yes you did complain about it, you complained about it in the previous post when you said "they raced but didn't put it all on the line & risk big daage. "

the qualifying they came up this years meant you could put it all on the line and try and stick it down the inside, if it didnt pay off your weekend wasn't over. because you got to go back and try again the next day.

thats wheer llast years qualifying style failed, it punished the risk takers meaning more processional racing
no i was talking about the sprint races at the 500 not the whole of qualifying last year, i never have complained about the start sunday where you finish saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
But this year each race is defined as a separate event. So fair enough, your result in the first race shouldn't carry over into the second, seeing as they are separate. Having one session for both of them doesn't show them as separate, and having a full, three tier system dedicated to one race and only 20 minutes for the other simply doesn't make sense, and makes it seem that the Saturday race is more important.

Two qualifying sessions, equal length, one after the other on Saturday. Leave the shootouts for PI and Bathurst. If anyone has a more logical idea that still shows each race as separate I'm all for hearing it.
i'm fully aware of thae new "event" policy and i agree 100% with what your saying.

to me it's a farce to have each race set out seperatly. it's the one meeting so it should be classified as the one round, it makes it easier to understand and looks more proper. fair enough award race winers with a podium after each race like Clipsal and since Sunday is the bigger race (at "sprint" rounds) the winner of that race is therefore the round winner.

i would either like to see like you suggest 2 equal sessions (i know i suggested and liked the 20 minute dash but apon giving it more thought i'll eat some humble pie and say it's **** and gives more importance of one race over the other) or start Sunday where you finish saturday. Clipsal has always been a 2 race "round" it always worked there having that qualifying system.

awarding the round to the Sunday winner has worked of late at Clipsal aswell(even though they stuffed around with the resaults of the 2000 IIRC awarding it to Skaifey so many years after the event then taking it away again). it would even seem to fit better at the current format of sprint rounds as the sunday race is longer and awards more points.

i know thats as clear as mud, i am useless at explaining my view in writing.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2437685)   #55
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
and to be fair when they created a qualifying system that allowed them to do you all moaned and complained and so now they have changed it

serously some of you guys need to get together and work out what you want, because in all honesty it seems like you just want to complain and sook
We had a perfectly good qualifying system for 2008 (bar Phillip Island & Bathurst), one that brought back the seemingly lost art in qualifying (and one in which Ayrton Senna amongst others excelled) of working the traffic and getting a clear run, plus it allowed more of a battle for pole, not just 'one go and your done' like we have this year...

Qualifying races at Phillip Island.... for starters where's the incentive to have a proper go when you know you can't win the race you have to pit in....

Shootouts have been done to death the world over in the last few years, its alright for Bathurst (for history's sake) but its a shame it has spread to the whole series.

What have they done to fix what people have been "complaining" about? They've really just found other ways to contrive it from being a proper race..... and they're doing it after the season has already started!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
But this year each race is defined as a separate event.
V8SA might be publically saying that, but they also publically said they are tallying round results for each meeting (most points from both races)........
Old 10 Apr 2009, 16:46 (Ref:2438164)   #56
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I prefer shootouts actually. You can see each car individually on the TV, and you don't miss a pole lap. Plus, it's always nice to see the different driving styles up close and personal.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 02:02 (Ref:2438406)   #57
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
V8SA might be publically saying that, but they also publically said they are tallying round results for each meeting (most points from both races)........
... For the purposes of the record books. Otherwise Jamie Whincup could well beat Brock & Skaife's records for round wins within two years...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen