Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jun 2016, 00:39 (Ref:3654567)   #26
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
dont know how accurate or what context these quotes were made or how seriously Renault would even take the offer, but apparently Horner/RB are offering up Buemi for a race seat.

Renault may find itself with a few solid options to choose from next year.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns34179.html
Sounds like they are trying to get rid of him?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 23 Jun 2016, 12:01 (Ref:3654644)   #27
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It's a bit left-field, certainly. Even though he's only 27, I had rather assumed Buemi's Formula 1 days were behind him.

Not to be too cynical, but might Red Bull be trying to destabilise the Regie? Or are they honestly trying to help their engine partner? (Honesty! In F1!)
Old 23 Jun 2016, 12:20 (Ref:3654655)   #28
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
dont know how accurate or what context these quotes were made or how seriously Renault would even take the offer, but apparently Horner/RB are offering up Buemi for a race seat.

Renault may find itself with a few solid options to choose from next year.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns34179.html
The arrogance of Horner 'offering' Buemi to Renault!!!

I saw that the other day and was so off put I didn't bother mentioning it.

He doesn't need getting rid of because he has a prototype career now anyway.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 12:32 (Ref:3654662)   #29
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
To switch to anti-cynicism, if Red Bull really rate Buemi as a development driver, you can see an advantage for them in having him steer a Renault to drive the engine forward.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 12:56 (Ref:3654670)   #30
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
buemi, of course, drives for the brilliantly named edams in formula e who are running renault... thingies.
Old 25 Jun 2016, 14:21 (Ref:3655043)   #31
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just can't see that happening, if they ditch Jolyon for anyone then it would be Ocon surely.
Old 25 Jun 2016, 20:05 (Ref:3655099)   #32
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember Ocon is Mercedes'. They have first dibs on him.

I really think a perennial midfield driver like Perez, Hulk, Bottas, Grosjean, or even Sainz could do worse than to sign a long term deal with Renault. The Enstone/Renault combination went from midfielders to champions in five years last time. Those drivers' current teams will never be champions five years from now
Old 26 Jun 2016, 16:19 (Ref:3655213)   #33
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Remember Ocon is Mercedes'. They have first dibs on him.

I really think a perennial midfield driver like Perez, Hulk, Bottas, Grosjean, or even Sainz could do worse than to sign a long term deal with Renault. The Enstone/Renault combination went from midfielders to champions in five years last time. Those drivers' current teams will never be champions five years from now
So that little list of drivers are 'perennial midfielders'?!?

Seriously?
Old 27 Jun 2016, 10:51 (Ref:3655367)   #34
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
So that little list of drivers are 'perennial midfielders'?!?

Seriously?
They shouldn't be - I meant perennial in terms of never having had a chance rather than lacking ability in a front running car
Old 27 Jun 2016, 12:29 (Ref:3655383)   #35
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
They shouldn't be - I meant perennial in terms of never having had a chance rather than lacking ability in a front running car
Ahh! I thought that's what you meant
Old 5 Jul 2016, 18:23 (Ref:3657121)   #36
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
What was the general opinion on Jolyon at the weekend then? To be honest i didn't get to watch the race as i was at Donington on Sunday, but again he matched Magnussen in Qualy and from what i have read regarding the race he seems to have been there or thereabouts aswell. Big weekend coming up for him though.
Old 5 Jul 2016, 18:48 (Ref:3657127)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
What was the general opinion on Jolyon at the weekend then? To be honest i didn't get to watch the race as i was at Donington on Sunday, but again he matched Magnussen in Qualy and from what i have read regarding the race he seems to have been there or thereabouts aswell. Big weekend coming up for him though.
Much much better effort and tbh looked like he had Kev rattled judging by the Dane's erratic antics!
Old 5 Jul 2016, 19:10 (Ref:3657133)   #38
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think those of you bashing Palmer or Magnussen are clearly over-rating the current Renault RS16.

IMO both drivers are doing well, especially Magnussen who really matured since his Mac Laren days.

Don't forget Lotus were the ones developping the FRIC system initially, and when it was forbidden last year (intending to slow the Mercs), they were the ones paying the heavy price. Then, the team financial situation and it's future looking so blury meant the RS16 wasn't developped properly. It's a conservative design, which obviously doesn't perform well, in terms of pace and driveability. PU is far better than what is said (and never was a bad as advertised), even in pre-Monaco spec.

If you look at the car in the Barcelona race (which is arguably the benchmark track to rate a chassis), you'll understand why the drivers aren't reaching points on usual race week-ends. It locks up fronts everywhere, has correct traction but blistering the rears, but most of all it is sliding in every corner, litteraly destroying the tyres and generating moments of snap oversteer mid corner (from my amateur eyes it looks as if the chassis is too stiff). It looks a handfull to drive, at least as bad as the Sauber, worse than the Manor. Oh, and it is a bit slow on the straits (again, I'm not buying the engine being more than 20% of the problem here), whilst it is bad in slow speed corners...

You cannot properly rate a driver if the race car isn't at a decent level. Sadly the team doesn't plan to develop that car, which is understandable, so both drivers have to keep their head down and wait for next season.
Old 6 Jul 2016, 17:31 (Ref:3657302)   #39
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyselegend View Post
I think those of you bashing Palmer or Magnussen are clearly over-rating the current Renault RS16.

You cannot properly rate a driver if the race car isn't at a decent level.
While I get what you're saying, I disagree with it.
In this situation (as in any other really), you can compare a driver to his teammate.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 14:28 (Ref:3658002)   #40
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
Well, not sure he did an awful lot wrong this weekend either, ok the pen for track limits in qualy was a shame but come the race he was running comfortably enough in front of Magnussen until the pit stops, obviously we all saw what happened there and that was the end of that really, i am assuming it was a team mistake rather than a mistake by Jolyon, either way it was a bit of a mess.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 19:21 (Ref:3658125)   #41
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Telling people it is "unnacceptable" probably not helping him.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 19:56 (Ref:3658135)   #42
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
Probably not the most advisable thing, mind you, it was a spectacular fumble by the pit crew.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 09:16 (Ref:3658254)   #43
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
While I get what you're saying, I disagree with it.
In this situation (as in any other really), you can compare a driver to his teammate.
Yes obviously, to some degree. But even then, you'll only determine which one is the best at coping with a bad car, which won't necessarly be the same who could achieve the best result with a championship contender in hand.

Plus, it might depend also of the nature of the car's weakness. For instance you could have a very fast driver looking awfull with an unstable car, because some fast drivers needs lots of confidence in the car to unlock their pace.

Remember those years when Honda was so horrible, Button didn't look much better than Barichello, but then with the Brawn GP he outclassed him consistently.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 11:12 (Ref:3658264)   #44
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
An F1 rookie in a bad car is a test of nothing really.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 14:51 (Ref:3658317)   #45
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
An F1 rookie in a bad car is a test of nothing really.
Didn't seem to stop Alonso in his Minardi way back.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 15:13 (Ref:3658323)   #46
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Didn't seem to stop Alonso in his Minardi way back.
Minardi was a no-pressure backmarker team, which built aerodynamically safe cars, where Alonso could ease himself into the role away from the spotlight.

That's not the conditions that prevail in the Renault works team 2016, that's for sure. Those guys wanna and expect to be winners tomorrow. Now that's real pressure.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 15:29 (Ref:3658330)   #47
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Minardi was a no-pressure backmarker team, which built aerodynamically safe cars, where Alonso could ease himself into the role away from the spotlight.

That's not the conditions that prevail in the Renault works team 2016, that's for sure. Those guys wanna and expect to be winners tomorrow. Now that's real pressure.
They aren't daft though - they know this years' package is a pile of....

They do not expect miracles from the current line up.

Next year will be a different matter though...
Old 11 Jul 2016, 15:53 (Ref:3658338)   #48
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im not sure what they expect from their drivers...maybe for them to be scapegoats?
Old 11 Jul 2016, 17:47 (Ref:3658359)   #49
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
We know from Red Bull's performance that the 2016 Renault lump is OK; not stellar, but it does the job. That leaves chassis and drivers. Given both Palmer's and Magnussen's junior careers, I'm going to point my finger at the hardware for now. Give Renault another year, then we'll see, and there should be nowhere to hide.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 22:42 (Ref:3658427)   #50
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Sound post there.