Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Aug 2017, 23:11 (Ref:3762484)   #51
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Didn't manage to meet many tenthers today - there was a lot going on and a lot of people I knew that I did meet - but did catch Iain briefly, but as he was about to change the gear ratios after finishing sixth in his first race we didn't delay him.......sadly he retired from the second race after a couple of laps, and as we had to meet a customer afterwards to deliver some parts, wasn't able to stay to find out the problem......hope it was nothing too serious, Iain.

Peter Mallett looked as though he might have had some braking issues with a couple of straight-ons at the Hislop complex, and some fairly wide lines around Cascades, but he got it to the finish OK!

Thoughts are with Gary Warburton who's Mini ploughed straight into the barrier at Lodge - pretty unusual, and the rescue crews who were very promptly on the scene took many minutes before taking him away on a stretcher, although the driver's side of the car seemed little damaged. It was a sudden stop, though.

Generally speaking, some good racing throughout, today - very clean racing as it should be
Old 28 Aug 2017, 23:22 (Ref:3762485)   #52
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think his brakes failed. He arrived back at the circuit later in the afternoon walking very gingerly and still in his hospital gown with bare legs but thankfully still in one piece.

Were you spannering for the French March F2 Richard?
Old 29 Aug 2017, 06:37 (Ref:3762527)   #53
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for coming by Richard . Lovely to meet mrs as well . I was much happier with the car after gear ratio change .,Clutch issue again we changed the plate after Nurburgring but I think we will have to replace the whole unit this time . Need to be right before we head of to Estoril. Enjoyed the weekend and all the racing . At least all my customers weee happy . I had a seat fitting in an SD1 Rover . 😀
Old 29 Aug 2017, 08:46 (Ref:3762553)   #54
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well the contract negotiations went well and Delta is now confirmed as the second driver in the Rover at Portimao.

As to the day? As Richard says I had a bit of a nightmare really. It's only my second time on this configuration and the first on these tyres in this car so having no brakes in qualifying was a bit, um exciting. All the brakes were glazed so they got sorted before the race. In the race I noticed quite early on that I couldn't turn in as well as I might. Eventually this lead to quite a bit of understeer and an inability to stop. Cascades and Druids were particularly interesting but I received a track limits penalty for the exit of the first corner (Lodge?). Also had a good dice with a couple of Group 2 cars on slicks they managed to get past me at the last corner due to those tyre issues but after the pit stops I found I had overtaken them again. The tyres were used at Donington and I think a combination of picking up rubber from the slick cars and the fact that the tread was down made them overheat. I should stick to my principles and have new tyres for every event.

So eventually I finished 3rd overall in the Tony Dron Trophy and 2nd in class!

Had a nice chat with the gentleman in Race Control who explained that although I had the penalty for exceeding track limits, it wouldn't affect the result.

Thanks to all the marshals and officials who withstood the blazing sunshine all day. And of course to the other drivers and teams who brought along such wonderful machinery.

Good to meet up and chat with Malcolm and Mrs Smith, HRTR5, Apriliadriver, Garcon, Chunterer and his son No. 2; and of course Delta.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 10:25 (Ref:3762571)   #55
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a couple of trips down to your equipe to say hello but you weren't there. I did see you go past on your way to assembly but I didn't want to distract you by waving or shouting. It was a fine sight seeing all three Rovers side by side in the paddock after the race.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3762579)   #56
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Once again thanks for your reply Rudolf . For what it's worth , I always think the most interesting cars tend to be towards the rear of historic races . It was great to see your little Aston Martin that day .

Finally , any chance of bringing one of your Formula Juniors to the Castle Combe Classic one year ? It would be great to hear a DKW engine again .
Hello
the PBA DKW will be running at the Revival

both will run at the HSCC Finals
the Mitter with a surprise star driver
ill pedal the PBA as per usual

RuE
Old 29 Aug 2017, 11:49 (Ref:3762590)   #57
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Great day yesterday, lifted my spirits.

The programme, people around the paddock, the weather and Oulton all made it a highly enjoyable day for many I suspect.

Good to catch up with several tenthers. Me and Henry (no.2 son) were rooting for Peter and the other KCM Rovers in what was a cracking grid of MRL Touring Cars. Shame I can't get to Portimao to see how Iain gets on with you in the SD1 Peter!

It was soo great to see the Rovers and 635's racing together again on track in the UK. I look forward to more of the same next year.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3762611)   #58
marblerun
Rookie

marblerun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralt RT1s re-united for the Gold Cup. My Cassani / Winklehock car with Steve Seaman's Project 4 / Cheever car

John Lord
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170828_132745.jpg  
Old 29 Aug 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3762634)   #59
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I think his brakes failed. He arrived back at the circuit later in the afternoon walking very gingerly and still in his hospital gown with bare legs but thankfully still in one piece.

Glad to hear he's basically OK - it did seem a hard hit but the barriers did a pretty good job of absorbing the impact, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Were you spannering for the French March F2 Richard?
No, Olivier managed to sort some support from home, in the end. I did try to find him in the paddock, but it was a fairly disorganised place - I think people coming and going over the three days made it less easy for competitors to be grouped together..... Losing most of the lunchbreak queuing for the laughingly named "Fast Food" outlet also meant I didn't have much time to scour the paddock
Old 29 Aug 2017, 15:00 (Ref:3762643)   #60
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Cascades and Druids were particularly interesting but I received a track limits penalty for the exit of the first corner (Lodge?).

Had a nice chat with the gentleman in Race Control who explained that although I had the penalty for exceeding track limits, it wouldn't affect the result.
First corner after the start is Old Hall - the last corner before Deer Leap and the start straight is Lodge........but both have the sensors embedded in the grasscrete that do indeed "grass you up" to the CoC if you exceed the track limits.........But as you say only gave you 5 second penalty, and as you were a couple of seconds behind the Postin -Williams Rover and 30+ seconds ahead of Benn's Capri, an academic penalty, really. Most importantly, did you get to keep the pretty picture they take of you as you trigger the sensor ?
Old 29 Aug 2017, 15:17 (Ref:3762652)   #61
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very enjoyable meeting, apart from the out of control feral kids running amok in the campsite.
Good weather, most grids were of a good size and quality and the circuit is a joy to wander and spectate. Car club area was full and there were plenty of public about there and trackside.
Not sure what the WW2 and US Civil war displays were about though.
M6/M5/M4 were kind on both journeys, always a bonus
Old 30 Aug 2017, 07:34 (Ref:3762854)   #62
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Attended Monday. Flickr album will be added to over the next few days, but early entries include Messrs delta, Mallett and Ernst.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3b8A6X
Old 30 Aug 2017, 07:41 (Ref:3762857)   #63
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Very enjoyable meeting, apart from the out of control feral kids running amok in the campsite.
Good weather, most grids were of a good size and quality and the circuit is a joy to wander and spectate. Car club area was full and there were plenty of public about there and trackside.
Not sure what the WW2 and US Civil war displays were about though.
M6/M5/M4 were kind on both journeys, always a bonus

I think the military displays were mainly about the participants having fun...

fascinating spelling in some of the German signage
"Eintracht Verboten !"
translates to "Unity forbitten"
they were aiming for
"Eintritt verboten"
which means "dont enter !"

on the other hand
the vehicles had some very informative placards displayed
learned a lot - about the German ones...

RuE

Last edited by Rudernst; 30 Aug 2017 at 07:53.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 10:14 (Ref:3762882)   #64
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Attended Monday. Flickr album will be added to over the next few days, but early entries include Messrs delta, Mallett and Ernst.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3b8A6X
Excellent, thank you David.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 21:06 (Ref:3763045)   #65
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonderful racing, classic car show and dry sunny weather. Thoroughly enjoyed chatting to Ian, Nick, Peter and many other drivers and mechanics, all happy to share their enthusiasm for great cars. Camera expired on Sunday afternoon, a few photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
op1.jpg   op2.jpg   op3.jpg  

op4.jpg   op5.jpg   op6.jpg  

Old 30 Aug 2017, 21:08 (Ref:3763046)   #66
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Photos 2.
Attached Thumbnails
op7.jpg   op8.jpg   op9.jpg  

op10.jpg   op11.jpg   op12.jpg  

Old 1 Sep 2017, 13:08 (Ref:3763428)   #67
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dangerous track limit marker

Not for the first time this track limit marker at Oulton Park has caused damage to a valuable car. Is it fair play, or should it be replaced, and if so, with what? Images copyright www.retro-speed.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_7893.JPG   DSC_7998.JPG  
Old 1 Sep 2017, 13:20 (Ref:3763432)   #68
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
Not for the first time this track limit marker at Oulton Park has caused damage to a valuable car. Is it fair play, or should it be replaced, and if so, with what? Images copyright www.retro-speed.co.uk
Peter, from just looking at your pictures, my opinion, not that it's worth much, is that if drivers observed the track limits they wouldn't have problems.

However, this is not just their fault. The blame must also be shared by the FIA and other local racing authorities, such as the MSA, for permitting drivers to not keep their cars between the white lines. Part of the skill set that a racing driver should possess is the ability to drive quickly between objects without hitting them.
Old 1 Sep 2017, 13:59 (Ref:3763443)   #69
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Peter, from just looking at your pictures, my opinion, not that it's worth much, is that if drivers observed the track limits they wouldn't have problems.

However, this is not just their fault. The blame must also be shared by the FIA and other local racing authorities, such as the MSA, for permitting drivers to not keep their cars between the white lines. Part of the skill set that a racing driver should possess is the ability to drive quickly between objects without hitting them.
Agreed. But there must be other methods to record track limit indiscretion?
Old 1 Sep 2017, 14:18 (Ref:3763444)   #70
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
Agreed. But there must be other methods to record track limit indiscretion?
It's quite easy; award meaningful penalties. At the drivers' briefing, CoC would tell them that drivers will respect track limits, and a first infringement will attract a 30 seconds penalty, and a second incident will result in the car being excluded from the race.

Then the drivers will stop hitting objects that are placed there to try to enforce track limits, because currently there is no real deterrent.

Easy-peasy.
Old 1 Sep 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3763451)   #71
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, easy. But in France and Spa for instance during the briefing all drivers are advised they must have at least 2 wheels on the track any time. I dont say its a good rule but its the way we must play the game.
Old 1 Sep 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3763455)   #72
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Yes, easy. But in France and Spa for instance during the briefing all drivers are advised they must have at least 2 wheels on the track any time. I dont say its a good rule but its the way we must play the game.
Gerard, I'm an old fashioned chap, and I believe that white lines around racing circuits indicate the limits of the track. And that drivers should keep all 4 wheels inside of those lines. In very much the same way that when we drive on the road, we have to stay within certain parts of the road. We cannot, for example, drive with two wheels on the pavement (also known as a sidewalk) because it might be a quicker route. If we are seen by the police, we will be probably be prosecuted and quite rightly.

Any more than we are allowed to hit traffic islands because they are in the way of the line that we wish to take.

As I wrote in answer to Peter Baker, the fault really lies with the FIA that permits this type of driving. They should stamp it out.

But, as I say, I'm just an old fuddy duddy.
Old 1 Sep 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3763499)   #73
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably slightly OT - but it annoys me when EffWun drivers routinely get away with track limits violations that would see lesser mortals summoned to the CoC with likely penalties.

At the Belgian GP they were apparently told that they would be observed at Radillon but that seemed to give them licence to ignore the limits anywhere else on the circuit...
Old 1 Sep 2017, 19:56 (Ref:3763524)   #74
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Mike, I'm old fashioned too, no problem with that. The rule of "2wheels only" sounds stupid if it applies all time. We could imagine that one can drive a full race with only one half of the car on the track. Rather odd, is it?
But we are in the region of "incidentally" or a strictly applied rule, each corner each lap. This involves not only the CoC but the marshals first (chef de poste who have to report during the race of right after. Not a piece of cake.
Old as now I am or young as we use to be, no-one likes to be overtaken by a chap using a wider track with no penalty. In France, bad examples can be found on Dijon and Ricard tracks I feel.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 21:14 (Ref:3763903)   #75
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looking at retrognome's picture of the Surtees one has to wonder if the incident was caused by a car problem of some sort rather than a deliberate attempt at corner cutting.

If do the outcome looks like a high risk H&S matter perhaps somewhat excessive in effect for the type of occurrence it was intended to prevent given the type of racing involved.

Now for a modern, professional BTCC type race one might argue that hitting such an obstacle is not unreasonable (unless it is very recently deposited on track by another competitor) but in an Historic amateur event one might question the purpose of that particular kind of obstacle.