Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 1 May 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1599001)   #1
wonkdonk
Rookie

wonkdonk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
View from the bank

Just a short post for all you racers who have ever wondered "What do those people in orange do - other than tell me I can/can't do something?".

Just got back from my first day in the Orange - excellent all round, even though it was pouring at the start of the day.

Firstly, a big thanks to Chris and Jerry (or is that Gerry?) at post 4a (bottom of Paddock - eek!) for looking after me and supplying non-stop banter. It was good to learn from two very experienced and entertaining chaps.

Secondly, next time I'm waiting for 10 mins to go onto track for my race I shall just enjoy the time sitting quietly. Having put in the time and effort it takes to sweep what seemed like a very small amount of gravel off the track and back into the trap - well, let's just say I have a new-found respect for the Orange men and women.

It was great to see racing from a new standpoint - not in the car but not behind all the fencing - and to be involved in some of the trackside work. I'll definitely be doing it again.

If you're thinking of giving it a go - DO IT!
Old 3 May 2006, 05:53 (Ref:1599833)   #2
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Australia, to go from a Provisional Licence to a National Licence you need to do a day on the Flags (with a regular flaggie), good idea, I think. Definatly gives a different point of view.
Old 3 May 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1600348)   #3
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to say that as a regular tango man, thank you for having a go and pleased that you enjoyed your day. Currently there is a shortage of marshals and any driver / mechanic or freind of would be more than welcome to join the fun on the bank if you have a weekend free from competing. You never know you may learn from watching others make mistakes

On the marshals forum there is a calendar with meetings that are short of marshals.
Old 6 May 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1601634)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wonkdonk,
I am a regular Marshal, so when you are in Orange.........can I play in your car please?
Old 6 May 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1601898)   #5
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mark,
Did you get to any of the marshal's track days last winter?
We went to Oulton Park, and despite some interest in the car, no one wanted a ride!

There was an Osprey in the next garage, so maybe that was a bigger attraction. But because there were so few marshals there, there was barely a queue even for that.
No probs - we had a great day, and FoC too! Any marshal is welcome in our cars on those days (Thank you Dr.Palmer!)

John
Old 6 May 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1601902)   #6
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went to Anglesey and had a few laps in one of the Puma's - that was quite good fun. I don't think I'll be taking it up full time tho' - it's easier on the playstation!!