Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 May 2008, 13:17 (Ref:2194385)   #51
Jimbob-18
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Jimbob-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great day!

Really enjoyed it, some great racing on offer!

Shame about the organisation of the day, massive wait to get tickets, but the overall queing to get into the circuit wasn't so bad this time. The wait for gents toilets just near the old hairpin was a joke as well, i had to time to go between the breaks of the races because you'd have missed a lot if you'd gone when the race was on.

But overall the day was good. The weater wasn't as bad as was forcasted with only a few spits and spots of rain later on in the day, but didn't get to wet and it wasn't cold or windy so it was alright.

Shame about a difficult day for the BMWs in BTCC. I was standing down at old hairpin to see Mat Jackson and Stephen Jelley both get punted off in race one. Shame about Colin's jump start as well, although it was a farce with the lights, i was standing just up from the first corner and it was unclear to what was happening.

The pitlane walkabout was good as well, i got 9 drivers Autographs. Mat Jackson is a really nice guy, i only spoke to him for a few seconds but he came over a really nice guy, as a lot of the others did.

Nice to get a Team Eurotech goody bag as well! Lots of good stuff in that.

Good also that there is now a giant TV screen installed near the Coppice direction. We sat in that direction for most the afternoon so when the cars were not comming past our bit of the track, we could watch the giant screen. The Spitfire fly over mid-afternoon was also a good sight and sound.

Highlights of the day for me would be all 3 BTCC races, although the first Ginetta Juniour race was VERY entertaining. The clios put on a good show as did the porsche boys with pretty much a 6 way fight for the win for the majority of the race in less than perfect conditions.

Defiently going to Donington again for the BTCC, but may go and see the BTCC guys at either Oulton or Croft later this year.
Old 5 May 2008, 15:37 (Ref:2194466)   #52
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
I still stand by my judgement of Jelley, he's had enough time to prove himself and has 1 point, it just cant go on.
In case you missed it, it wasn't really optimal track conditions for BMW this weekend. In fact top BMW scorer was Kane... on 5 points collected, 11 points in total for all 5 BMWs...
Old 5 May 2008, 17:28 (Ref:2194514)   #53
Race to Win
Rookie

Race to Win should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree, wet or dry is ok for Beemers, half and half is impossible.
So far all meetings have favored the front wheel drive cars overall.

Race 1 at Donington was upset by the start, Turk and Oliver got the flag wrong. Chilton and Jelley got too optimistic.

Race 2 Fun to watch

Race 3 Spoilt by the weather

Lets hope the BMW is the car at Thruxton to even things up a bit.
Old 5 May 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2194540)   #54
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm intrigued to see how the Leon TDi's get on at Thruxton with the straightline speed they have.
Old 5 May 2008, 18:50 (Ref:2194548)   #55
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I watched all the race's back this afternoon. Race 3 was a bit dull but I thought stood trackside yesterday

But the first two race's where really good. I have to say I also thought the Chilton/Jackson incident was 50/50, there friendly chat afterwards was entertaining this was shown on TV but Rob Collard joined in to give his opinion.

But race of the weekend for has to be the first Ginetta Junior race it was a cracker.
Old 5 May 2008, 21:10 (Ref:2194670)   #56
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The weather was a nightmare for the BMWs, but Jelley never looked like making the best of the situation. Compared to how well the far-less-rated Stockton did in his first-ever meeting in an FWD car, with a team who had little data or experience, he's been unimpressive.

It wasn't the most thrilling weekend, but race 2 especially had lots of action. The first start was a bit of a farce - it would have been better to place the flag and then drop it afterwards, it's no surprise that somebody was caught out.

I avoided the Cupras and Carreras as they've been lousy so far, but the other support races were pretty good.
Old 5 May 2008, 21:41 (Ref:2194696)   #57
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Why can't the MSA change the rules so that instead of using a flag, they go for a start behind the safety car if the lights fail? It would probably be slightly quicker, too ...
The flag start procedure is standard for all UK motorsport, not just BTCC. Not every series has a safety car on hand.

To be honest I think you are over-reacting a bit. Just how many times have you seen the lights fail and a flag start used? I think this is maybe only the third time I've seen that in the last ten years, and that's across all meetings I've been to, not just BTCC.
Old 5 May 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2194709)   #58
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
Was it this one?
[ Supervan3 ]
No, far more subtle than that.
Externally it looks like any old standard long-wheelbase white transit, complete with ladder-rack. Apparently still road legal. The only obvious sign is the wheels/tyres.

Under the body is full XJ220 running gear with a mid-mounted XJ220 engine. Justin Law ran it up the Goodwood hillclimb last year and at one stage was well in the top ten.

Pic (not mine) from Good Festival of Speed last year.

The livery at Donington was slightly different with HiQ logos on the side but otherwise the same.
Old 5 May 2008, 22:09 (Ref:2194714)   #59
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Definitely road legal according to the DVLA. Amazing machine, that's what I call a Sleeper!

Quote:
The vehicle details for G134 XVX are:

Date of Liability 01 11 2008
Date of First Registration 22 09 1989
Year of Manufacture 1989
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 3500CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval null
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £101.75
12 Months Rate £185.00
Old 5 May 2008, 22:55 (Ref:2194733)   #60
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Cracker of a meeting, imo. I wanted TOC to win so badly race three, threw up my arms in frustration when Gio targeted him, haha.
Old 6 May 2008, 00:07 (Ref:2194770)   #61
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
The weather was a nightmare for the BMWs, but Jelley never looked like making the best of the situation. Compared to how well the far-less-rated Stockton did in his first-ever meeting in an FWD car, with a team who had little data or experience, he's been unimpressive.
In general I think Stockton is severly underrated. That's why I had him all season in my F-BTCC team.

But if he would still have been in a RWD car there would have been no way he would have scored a single point. With a FWD car he scored the same points as Jackson and Turkington this weekend, and who knows how much points he would have gotten if his car didnt break down when he was about to start from 2nd on the grid.

So getting on Jellys back because he didnt score, in a week that was horrible for anybody in a RWD car, is pretty unfair. RWD on slippery surface sucks, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anybody into motorsports.
Old 6 May 2008, 06:58 (Ref:2194926)   #62
NendoShisu
Racer

England
LUTON
NendoShisu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic Racing Day...

I knew it would be a day for the SEAT's and was quite surprised that the Vauxhall Boys were up as high as they were.
Old 6 May 2008, 08:48 (Ref:2195005)   #63
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
So getting on Jellys back because he didnt score, in a week that was horrible for anybody in a RWD car, is pretty unfair. RWD on slippery surface sucks, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anybody into motorsports.
Hear what you saying but race 1 was dry and he still fell off the road through driver error, I just expected more from him than the results so far especially compared to Tom OC from last year who was doing far better after three rounds.
Old 6 May 2008, 11:34 (Ref:2195126)   #64
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to know that many ''tenthers'' were watching from The Old Hairpin this weekend. Me and my crew were marshalling there for both days and were kept busy all the time. I personally think the first race was the best, and the other two a bit flat. Rob Collard was not happy with what happened in his incident, but when he was joined by Messers Chilton, Jackson and Jelley he seemed OK. As for my crew, of the nine of us down there, five of us are ''tenthers''.
Old 6 May 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2195148)   #65
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was a bit concerned during the Clio race on Sunday. There were a group of marshals clearing up an incident at McLeans and the vast majority of them stayed on the grass on the inside of the corner after they'd finished before going back to their posts on the outside. But one guy decided to run across the track as the cars were approaching Schwantz Curve, tripped up on the track and landed up the thin strip of grass between the track and the outside gravel trap and had to lie there as the cars went past.
Old 6 May 2008, 14:59 (Ref:2195287)   #66
Race to Win
Rookie

Race to Win should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The conditions this year are different to last year hence anyone in a BMW has been at a disadvantage so far, this may change depends on the weather!!
Jelley was ambitious on the last lap of race 1 and paid for it, the propshaft snapped on the green flag lap of race 2 so he did not start. Therefore he started at the back for race 3, and with the rain had the same problems all the other BMWs had.
Old 7 May 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2196393)   #67
roachy101
Racer

roachy101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont forget thought that jelley has been driving in f3 for the past few seasons so he may still be adapting to the car
Old 7 May 2008, 21:40 (Ref:2196415)   #68
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jelley was doing ok at Donington, given the conditions and his car. I think we need to give him another few dry races before we pass judgement. He looks like he could go either way at the moment, so given one or two more meetings he should be able to show us what he's worth.
Old 8 May 2008, 00:21 (Ref:2196501)   #69
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Nice to see Tuner get a victory, well deserved...
Old 9 May 2008, 22:54 (Ref:2197917)   #70
trebor901
Racer

trebor901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does anyone else think there isnt enough penalties to drivers who cause accidents anymore, i think the BTCC race directors and clerk of the course has become very relaxed when it comes to contact being made and accidents being caused.
Old 10 May 2008, 08:22 (Ref:2198067)   #71
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
We had 10 page discussions about exactly that after the first 2 weekends.
Old 10 May 2008, 09:44 (Ref:2198103)   #72
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
IMO the driving wasn't bad in the first 2 races.
Old 12 May 2008, 09:49 (Ref:2199904)   #73
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only seen one bad action from a driver and that was Gio on TOC in race 3. Apart from that I didn't see anything done wrong.
Old 12 May 2008, 20:47 (Ref:2200477)   #74
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that Gio meant to do that to TOC though, lookied like a racing incident in a tricky part of the circuit to me.

I don't think there have been any malicios moves this year, which is what needs to be punished, not the wheel-to-wheel racing we've seen.
Old 15 May 2008, 13:53 (Ref:2203121)   #75
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
off-topic (sorry)

http://www.wsr-racing.com/photos/workshop.jpg
On this picture you still can see that WSR has still the MG ZS of 2006 and 3 Orange coloured BMWs. So is there maybee a chance that WSR still comes with 3 Beamers.