Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 21 Dec 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1185033)   #1
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Battery life

Here's one for you, how do you pros always make sure that you've got sufficient battery power to last for an event, particularly if it's all weekend, for example?

I've got 2 batteries for my D100, but when you use the flash etc. they can run out quite quickly... do you just have a large supply of spares or what?
Old 21 Dec 2004, 16:55 (Ref:1185136)   #2
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I go away for a weekend I always have loads of batterys for the 10D, and take a charger as well as there is normaly somewere you can charge them up.
The flash will always drain the batterys quick, its best if you can use a hotshoe flash that way it has its own batterys and doesnt use the cameras.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1185140)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
My D100 seems to go for ages on one charge, I have no problems with 2 weekends use although not all of that is with flash, probably about 500 to 600 shots at least.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 17:27 (Ref:1185159)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have three batteries for my 10D. One, the original Canon I got with the camera and two £14.99 cheapies I got from 7-Day shop - which last half as long again on a full charge........

At Le Mans last June, over 4 days, I was on the third battery at the end of the weekend.

BTW - at the moment I have no flashgun*, so no excessive usage from that.

*PS I can't afford the price of a Canon gun - are there any good (but relatively cheap compatiuble guns about? I used to use a Cobra with my old EOS100)

Last edited by Aysedasi; 21 Dec 2004 at 17:29.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1185186)   #5
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used some of the cheap £14:99 from 7 day shop and found they were not very good, as you say only lasting about half that of the canon ones they are usefull for spares but I wouldnt rely on them.
Canon flash guns are very good, I have a pair of 550EX's and they are great had no problems with them. I keep thinking about getting the dedicated battery pack but think it is a bit to pricey (think they are made by quantum or something like that) but guess you get a quick recycle time and dont have to keep changing the AA batterys
Old 21 Dec 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1185192)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickkicker
I used some of the cheap £14:99 from 7 day shop and found they were not very good, as you say only lasting about half that of the canon ones

No, no, no - I said "half as long again"

As far as I'm concerned, they're excellent value (when compared with £50+ for the Canon jobs).

Last edited by Aysedasi; 21 Dec 2004 at 18:04.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 18:12 (Ref:1185202)   #7
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 Cannon 1D's, 5 battery packs (+ 2 chargers)... Always have a spare battery (or 2) in the vest...

Old 21 Dec 2004, 18:19 (Ref:1185206)   #8
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had 5 for the 10d and now i need to get some spares for the 1d (sold the 20d incidentally) but want some cheaper than Canon's £100 each...

flash will drain them, but using a lens with Image Stabilisation is worse.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 18:42 (Ref:1185222)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
[Disgust]

£100 each?

That is sheer profiteering.........

[/Disgust]

You ought to learn to stand still Gav - either that or make sure you have a pee 10 minutes before the start..........
Old 21 Dec 2004, 19:32 (Ref:1185259)   #10
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have got 2 battries for my 10D, 1 from Canon and 1 from 7 Day Shop, 1 battary will last me about a day. I will be investing in a few more batteries before next June.

BTW Ayse, if you want a flash can I recommend a the Vivtar 283, its quite old but does the job and it only cost me £20 on e-bay.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 19:33 (Ref:1185261)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've still got an old Cobra 700AF - I presume thats no good?
Old 21 Dec 2004, 19:51 (Ref:1185280)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure, one of my work mates has one so borrowed his when we where out rallying it worked so I brought one too. I have not had chance to use it yet, I'll report back after I have been rallying next Tuesday.

As for the 7 day shop battery's £15 is great value for money IMO.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 20:27 (Ref:1185312)   #13
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol - i'll bear that in mind Ayse! now back to the batteries...

your cobra flash will still work, only it'll be in manual mode
Old 21 Dec 2004, 21:04 (Ref:1185344)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer

I've got 2 batteries for my D100, but when you use the flash etc. they can run out quite quickly... do you just have a large supply of spares or what?
Which batteries are they as there is 2 or 3 different types, mine is a Li-ion #EN-EL3

Last edited by Tim Falce; 21 Dec 2004 at 21:05.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 21:22 (Ref:1185361)   #15
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
in my old f4 i use AA lithium batteries...they last forever and i'd guess would serve you well in a flash.

camera batteries...i reckon on around 500 frames in the d1's. when shooting cars they can last further as i'd normally switch off AF...although viewing on the back of the camera is harder to resist and eats power.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 21:52 (Ref:1185390)   #16
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5 batteries. 4 original Canon`s (1 with 10D, 1 with 300D and two bought separately (rip-off at £50 each!)). And one of these mystical "cheapy" 7-Day-Shop ones which, yes, in my own opinion (!), has by far the best longevity out of the lot (time and a half at least)!!

Mine`s a year old so dunno if they`re still selling the same equivalent battery pack now but if they are then buy one! Think about it - if it`s only £15 then you`d expect it to last for about 1/3 of the time of a Canon one?? If you end up agreeing that it does go 50% further again than a Canon then you`ll be well chuffed. If it turns about to be rubbish then yous-got-whats-you-paid-for!

On a summer`s day shooting 1500 pics I`d prob use 3 packs. The other week in the cold at Brands I used 5 in about 4 hours!! I reckon I have some kind of intermittent power fault on my 10D though (it wasn`t just the cold weather) - any diagnoses gladly welcomed!
Old 21 Dec 2004, 21:52 (Ref:1185391)   #17
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The LiIon betteries on the D2's are great.. Maybe a 1000 shots per charge? maybe more.. The battries hold a charge for a loooooooooooong time.. But I always carry a charger and keep 3 betteries topped off for the two bodies..

On the D1's, life was a nightmare.. They'd much batteries.. not only that, the batteries themselves only had a limited life and needed to be handled carefully.. I always kept 4 batteries charged for one body, and the thing would flatten them just by looking at them..

I got to the Le Mans 1000km last year only to find that all 4 batteries had flattened overnight due to cold..!! YIKES!!!

Yup.. Nikon got things sorted this time..
Old 21 Dec 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1185415)   #18
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have two batteries for my Cannon 10D (both cannon), which I use at the same time, ie in the battery grip.

They last a wholes days's shooting, with ease. But I always charge them before my next day. Takes about 90 minutes to fully charge.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 22:27 (Ref:1185426)   #19
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
As I think we've said before Canon batteries are 1100mAh, 7dayshop replacements are 1200 or 1300mAh. Not sure I'd go as far as half as much again but the replacement does last noticably longer that the original.

There's so many variables here. Do you keep the shutter half depressed and continually focusing without taking any pictures, do you use the view screen, do you let the camera auto power-down after 30 sec/2 mins/not at all, do you have a microdrive or CF card. I normally find 500 pics per charge is a good ballpark figure.

Previously I carried 2 batteries (one in the camera, one spare) but a while ago brought a new charger which came with another battery. The charger is a lot smaller than the Cannon original, works on 110-240V with built in plug adapter (great for recharging in the hotel bathroom shaver socket anywhere in the world) and also from a car 12V lighter socket.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 23:02 (Ref:1185453)   #20
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have it set to auto shut down after about 2 minutes.

I house both my cells in the battery grip.

I'm not kidding, it's easily lasts a whole days (action filled) F1 test. And I can knock up coming upto 1500 photos on the same charge.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 23:09 (Ref:1185461)   #21
KennyG
Racer

KennyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have 2 spare batteries for the 1D and 1D MK-II, handy as they are the same, alebit £100 a pop. However, I always keep an AC inverter in the car (12V to 250V) and take all my chargers (camera, storage and flash batteries) for long events. I can do a quick re-charge at any time as long as I can get to the car. I carry cans of Red Bull so I can re-charge myself when needed.

Professional Motorsport Photographer
Old 22 Dec 2004, 01:43 (Ref:1185540)   #22
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, I might get a couple of these "cheap" batteries, seems like they are worth a go.

I do look at the screen a lot, which probably doesn't help... although to be honest, I haven't really tested the battery life at a race, since I got my new camera, I've spent a lot of time just fiddling around with it, so that probably drains batteries unnecesarily.

The flash is a hotshoe, it's got it's own batteries, which no doubt helps.

The other thing is, I've got a microdrive, and I've heard they drain batteries quicker than CF?

I might get a 1GB CF card and use the microdrive as backup.

Last edited by MikeHoyer; 22 Dec 2004 at 01:44.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 08:16 (Ref:1185658)   #23
500mm
Rookie

500mm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Power Struggle

The performance of the proprietary digital camera batteries left a lot to be desired with the original professional models, Canon 1D and Nikon D1.

The Canon 1D Mark ll and Nikon D2 have both got vastly improved battery life due to changes in the internal workings of the cameras.

Nevertheless it is wise to take 1 or 2 spare batteries on an assignment as without juice nothing happens. I think that I am up to 5 batteries between my two bodies………..usually at least one is fully charged.

Battery life can be improved by refreshing the items on a regular basis…….you can find details on this in the manuals or by searching the excellent resource www.robgalbraith.com.

Buying cheap alternatives is not a good move in my opinion, spending £3K+ on a body and saving £25 on a battery makes no sense given the risk that this item may either fail (you miss the assignment) or damage the camera (invalidates warranty).

For those engaged in all day tasks an alternative is available to lugging 5 batteries around………we are all like pack donkeys but anything to lighten the load must be good.

I use a battery pack from Digital Camera Battery http://www.digitalcamerabattery.com

This handy unit will power a 1D all day and also a 550 flash plus any other item that you have a cable for.

It is available from good retailers such as Fixation http://www.fixationuk.com/

020 7582 3294

Anyone buying serious quality gear in the UK should check out prices and more importantly service with this organisation………5 star………Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, etc.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 09:31 (Ref:1185693)   #24
Snapperjack
Racer

Snapperjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for that info on dcb 500mm
Old 22 Dec 2004, 21:13 (Ref:1186243)   #25
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Could someone confirm that a CF card eats less battery power than a microdrive, and how much difference it makes?