Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jun 2013, 00:02 (Ref:3259166)   #1
Sarnie
Racer

England
Middx.
Sarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone 'For Sale' rumours again

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ne...sale-1-5172770
Old 8 Jun 2013, 10:15 (Ref:3259277)   #2
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BRDC should learn from Nuerburgring debacle ...
Old 8 Jun 2013, 13:55 (Ref:3259351)   #3
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I beg your pardon Sarnie, I think they're saying they (BRDC) won't confirm or deny a sale, no question the site's been available for some time, as I understand it at least. To wit: Similar Threads down below going back as far as 2003.
Old 9 Jun 2013, 03:36 (Ref:3259556)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "proper" old school BRDC members dont want to sell,its the new boys wanting the sale,ie,as in Silverstone Circuits Ltd.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 16:17 (Ref:3261624)   #5
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Motorsport News is reporting today that they are close to a £40M deal to sell the freehold to developers - this is a step change from previous negotiations where leasing of the circuit on a long term with the BRDC retaining the freehold was the favoured option.

Under this rumoured deal, the BRDC would lease the circuit back and run it....

Light the touch paper and retire.....
Old 12 Jun 2013, 18:23 (Ref:3261694)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah but is that for the circuit,or the land that the BRDC own nearby?
Old 12 Jun 2013, 19:23 (Ref:3261737)   #7
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Ah but is that for the circuit,or the land that the BRDC own nearby?
MN are saying for the circuit freehold of which 200 acres will be developed with the circuit remaining.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 19:13 (Ref:3615532)   #8
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to Mr Saward a deal for the sale of Silverstone may be getting close. However there is still time for it all to fall apart. I think it is a case of watch this space.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016...silverstone-2/
Old 18 Feb 2016, 05:58 (Ref:3615628)   #9
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Formula One holders have to rethink well... If they lose Britain or Italy from their racing venues, the damage will come to them... All "garagistes-now-monsters" lovers and Tifosi will blame them highly... They could menace, but they couldn't act, because they now it will be in disregard to them...
Old 18 Feb 2016, 10:14 (Ref:3615689)   #10
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So far as I am aware the BRDC is owned by the members and so presumably it requires them to vote by some majority for club assets such as the freehold to be sold. How many voting members? When the Walkinshaw deal was around the possibility of a windfall was attractive to many of them.

Never was in favour of selling the family silver personally
Old 25 Feb 2016, 16:02 (Ref:3617710)   #11
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparently the sale of Silverstone to Jaguar Land Rover, is "well down the" road.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122974
Old 11 Aug 2016, 13:32 (Ref:3665128)   #12
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Silverstone MD Patrick Allen has gone on leave of absence as the BRDC is in negotiations with Lawrence Tomlinson among others over the sale of the circuit. Allen was a former director of the LNT group so has links with Tomlinson.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125668
Old 11 Aug 2016, 14:49 (Ref:3665141)   #13
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Silverstone MD Patrick Allen has gone on leave of absence as the BRDC is in negotiations with Lawrence Tomlinson among others over the sale of the circuit. Allen was a former director of the LNT group so has links with Tomlinson.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125668
As August is traditionally a slow month for news, this seems to be a regurgitation of previous bits about the situation at Silverstone, except for the tribulations of Mr Allen.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 17:43 (Ref:3665180)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What ever became of all those execs that mysteriously left some months ago? What exactly went on there?
Old 22 Sep 2016, 11:55 (Ref:3674229)   #15
Moneyseeker
Veteran

MSV bid for Silverstone

Surely the most sensible solution and must have great cross over and economies of scale?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...or-silverstone

"Former Formula 1 driver Palmer has now officially entered the running, with an offer on the table, and given his experience in running circuits the BRDC has opened dialogue.
Although Palmer, along with sons Jolyon (current Renault F1 driver) and Will, are members of the BRDC, there is no conflict of interest.
When contacted by Autosport, Palmer refused to confirm or deny making a bid.

Palmer said: "I've long felt Silverstone could benefit from the experience and stability of MSV running the circuit, including the grand prix, and we're certainly keen to do that.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 13:19 (Ref:3674257)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hmmmmm

Not sure I'd want Palmer having what amounts to a monopoly over the UK circuits near enough?
Old 22 Sep 2016, 14:43 (Ref:3674270)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If it wasn't for Palmer, some of the great tracks in the UK could have been lost for good, so there's no doubt he's done good for British motorsport. For me Silverstone has already had a lot of the work to bring it to modern standards, so having him safeguard it would only be better
Old 22 Sep 2016, 15:00 (Ref:3674274)   #18
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having spent quite a lot of weekend at race circuits over the past few years, I say that JP has ensured that the MSV circuits are usually the most well maintained, and MSV staff seemed to be more organised than other clubs / circuits.

I'd have no problems with MSV running Silverstone, providing the club competitor isn't footing the bill with £ 30 extra on entry fees for Snetterton , Brands, Cadwell & Oulton.

Its the liittle things that matter, such as finding hot water taps in the toilets.

As for monopolies, they've got some way to go

MSV:

Brands
Snetterton
Cadwell
Oulton

Non-MSV

Silverstone
Castle Combe
Croft
Donington
Silverstone
Mallory Park
Rockingham
Thruxton
Anglesey
Pembrey,
Knockhill
Old 22 Sep 2016, 15:22 (Ref:3674275)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I loved the food spread they put on at Thruxton last year. Really nice to see actual quality food outlets for once.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 15:31 (Ref:3674278)   #20
Moneyseeker
Veteran

MSV are also active promoters of series and championships to and by all accounts put on a very good Italian Motorsport festival at BH in August, whereas Silverstone seem to prefer to be landlords and as a result have very little Silverstone owned and put on 'content'.

Personally I would rather have an active race motivated and engaged company managing than Silverstone (and the GP) than a car maker where you are only ever a board meeting away from a change in 'strategic direction'.

The BRDC have made a serious of allegedly poor decisions over the years IMO which has cost them and the circuit dear, so hopefully they will make the right one this time.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 16:39 (Ref:3674289)   #21
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I agree, MSV acquiring Silverstone would be very far from a monopoly. If Dr P can make the track work well, good luck to him.

On a sidebar, who operates Mondello Park? I rather enjoyed the BTCC's brief forays there.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 18:07 (Ref:3674317)   #22
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
MSV has its problems but I'd rather have them than Tata. I wish it'd had gone to LNT.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 23:46 (Ref:3674390)   #23
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JP will go through the finer details of Silverstones contracts etc. It won't happen.
Old 23 Sep 2016, 06:35 (Ref:3674478)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
Having spent quite a lot of weekend at race circuits over the past few years, I say that JP has ensured that the MSV circuits are usually the most well maintained, and MSV staff seemed to be more organised than other clubs / circuits.

I'd have no problems with MSV running Silverstone, providing the club competitor isn't footing the bill with £ 30 extra on entry fees for Snetterton , Brands, Cadwell & Oulton.

Its the liittle things that matter, such as finding hot water taps in the toilets.

As for monopolies, they've got some way to go

MSV:

Brands
Snetterton
Cadwell
Oulton

Non-MSV

Silverstone
Castle Combe
Croft
Donington
Silverstone
Mallory Park
Rockingham
Thruxton
Anglesey
Pembrey,
Knockhill
Silverstone's so significant you named it twice!

If this went through it would only be Donington of the international UK circuits MSV wouldn't own....

Someone please explain to me in detail what benefit that will be to us all?
Old 23 Sep 2016, 09:14 (Ref:3674497)   #25
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Someone please explain to me in detail what benefit that will be to us all?
Well it appears as though the BRDC is doing their best to sink Silverstone through constant financial issues, organization issues and not supporting club events properly. So the sale of Silverstone to an organization that's better suited to managing the site would be a benefit to everybody.

Who would we rather have own Silverstone? Whilst MSV may not the first choice due to the issues people have raised, it's better than being owned by Tata. I personally would rather have Ginetta running it, but if it's choices between BRDC, Tata or MSV then suddenly MSV is looking like the best of the options/