Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Feb 2016, 12:09 (Ref:3614178)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Alfa Romeo to return to Formula 1?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122782

I'm all for it! Maybe they could buy out Toro Rosso?
Old 12 Feb 2016, 12:25 (Ref:3614180)   #2
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Can I write a cheap gag about it looking great but breaking down every five minutes?
Old 12 Feb 2016, 12:43 (Ref:3614186)   #3
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would like to see Alfa Romeo in F1, but I doubt it.
Old 12 Feb 2016, 12:51 (Ref:3614189)   #4
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They should be allowed to run with a 3 litre V12......probably the best sounding engine in the World ! I don't care if they come last, I just want to hear it again.
Old 12 Feb 2016, 13:25 (Ref:3614194)   #5
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
They should be allowed to run with a 3 litre V12......probably the best sounding engine in the World ! I don't care if they come last, I just want to hear it again.
Would that be the one with the external combustion engine?
Old 12 Feb 2016, 14:23 (Ref:3614208)   #6
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am cynical to think that part of this is to help guarantee ongoing Ferrari/Fiat influence within F1 long term by doubling the teams they control? Especially if there is potential for the Ferrari "veto" to go away at some point in the future?

Richard
Old 12 Feb 2016, 14:44 (Ref:3614211)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Don't have a problem with that if it means Alfa back on the grid.
Old 12 Feb 2016, 14:52 (Ref:3614214)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Are Alfa involved in any motorsport anymore?
Old 12 Feb 2016, 15:42 (Ref:3614231)   #9
JoestEver
Rookie

JoestEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Are Alfa involved in any motorsport anymore?
WTCC safety car, that's pretty much all of their motorsport program.
Old 12 Feb 2016, 16:02 (Ref:3614237)   #10
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IIRC they moved into DTM in the mid 90s and rather upset Mercedes plans
Old 12 Feb 2016, 16:06 (Ref:3614239)   #11
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTG6N3lSaTw

When men were men and sheep were scared.
Old 12 Feb 2016, 19:21 (Ref:3614275)   #12
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would like it if they were truly an independent team instead of Ferrari puppet. Despite of the sometimes very boring races I liked the period when most of the teams made their own engines and trashed them after the weekend.
Old 12 Feb 2016, 19:25 (Ref:3614276)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I agree they should be allowed to run a much heavier and bigger engine with more cylinders, but curiously has less power than everyone else.
Old 12 Feb 2016, 22:05 (Ref:3614316)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I would prefer to see them in sports cars. That 4C is crying out for a GT3 conversion.

Actually, Alfa do kinda have an Motorsport program in 2016, there is an indie team running Guilias in TCR. Probably not Milan-backed though I imagine.
Old 13 Feb 2016, 02:18 (Ref:3614346)   #15
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTG6N3lSaTw

When men were men and sheep were scared.
Awesome!
Old 13 Feb 2016, 17:14 (Ref:3614424)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paarma View Post
Would like it if they were truly an independent team instead of Ferrari puppet. Despite of the sometimes very boring races I liked the period when most of the teams made their own engines and trashed them after the weekend.
They're never going to be "truly independent" as they're owned by FCA, but that wouldn't necessarily make them a "Ferrari puppet". Even if they used Ferrari engines, they could function as a separate team.
Old 13 Feb 2016, 18:44 (Ref:3614450)   #17
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
They're never going to be "truly independent" as they're owned by FCA, but that wouldn't necessarily make them a "Ferrari puppet". Even if they used Ferrari engines, they could function as a separate team.
Don't overlook the fact that although Alfa is still a fully owned subsidiary of FCA, Ferrari is now an independent public company, the only connection (in theory) being the fact that Sergio Marchionne is CEO of both FCA and Ferrari.
Old 13 Feb 2016, 22:09 (Ref:3614474)   #18
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Don't overlook the fact that although Alfa is still a fully owned subsidiary of FCA, Ferrari is now an independent public company, the only connection (in theory) being the fact that Sergio Marchionne is CEO of both FCA and Ferrari.
While Ferrari is a different public company to the best of my memory FCA still has a significant share holding in Ferrari.
Old 13 Feb 2016, 22:50 (Ref:3614476)   #19
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
While Ferrari is a different public company to the best of my memory FCA still has a significant share holding in Ferrari.
FCA completed the public flotation of Ferrari in the first few days of this January. 90 percent of the company is now publically owned, whilst the remaining 10% has been retained by Piero Ferrari, Enzo's remaining son.

Last year, FCA divested itself of 10% of Ferrari through an IPO, and the remaining 80% was distributed to FCA's shareholders to complete the seperation. I would guess that the Agnelli family still retain an interest, as maybe do others closely connected to Fiat, but they are, in theory, two completely distinct companies now.
Old 14 Feb 2016, 02:10 (Ref:3614500)   #20
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Can I write a cheap gag about it looking great but breaking down every five minutes?
Wonder if Alfa can work out how to make carbon fibre rust?
Old 14 Feb 2016, 17:36 (Ref:3614638)   #21
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Wonder if Alfa can work out how to make carbon fibre rust?
Well, if anyone can...
Old 14 Feb 2016, 23:10 (Ref:3614687)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Given that the Ferrari donks in the STR are now a specification older/different to the works Ferrari units, perhaps rebadging them as Alfa Romeos would have been a strong branding ploy

I mean the RBR mother ship have expensive Swiss watches rebranding their own version of external combustion engines after all...

And Joe Public would have no idea anyway...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Feb 2016, 16:31 (Ref:3614859)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
a good point. for the public at large the guts behind the engine badge is irrelevant and if it helps the main marquee justify the expense of F1 with a better branding strategy then so be it.

part of me wants to be outraged at the horizontal integration by mega corporations in the auto sector but at the end of the day i would actually just like to see Alfa back in F1. historically they belong so whatever works to get them back in is a good thing imo.

hope it works out. for them and Aston Martin as well.
Old 15 Feb 2016, 17:59 (Ref:3614874)   #24
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I'm disappointed that the Force India/Aston Martin deal fell through. I'd love to see Alfa back, with rebadged Ferrari engines and their own chassis. As I said before, maybe a buy-out of STR? Is Mateschitz still looking to sell?
Old 15 Feb 2016, 18:42 (Ref:3614886)   #25
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I'm disappointed that the Force India/Aston Martin deal fell through. I'd love to see Alfa back, with rebadged Ferrari engines and their own chassis. As I said before, maybe a buy-out of STR? Is Mateschitz still looking to sell?
He was actively looking to sell at one point, though last I read the team was simply 'available'.