Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jan 2013, 06:42 (Ref:3185388)   #101
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
There'll be another one dumped outside your house in Kent tomorrow morning.

Old 6 Jan 2013, 06:55 (Ref:3185390)   #102
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I presume that is a reworked R8 or something. Allegedly. Maybe.

Conti is based on the VW Phaeton luxo-barge. Certainly not a reworked Audi R8- from memory they were talking of using either the full-fat W12 front engine or the new smaller V8, but as 4wd not allowed ditching that and the auto box. Interestingly the development has now been contracted to Malcolm Wilson at M Sport, who at end of last year lost his deal to run works Fiesta WRC cars when Ford pulled the plug. So maybe a future in rallying as well, copying Aston's attempt a few years ago....
Old 6 Jan 2013, 08:11 (Ref:3185397)   #103
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it looks like a proper GT racing car. Brick-like or not it is a production car so this, the Mustang, the (stillborn?) C300 would all grace a grid if I had my way.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 08:51 (Ref:3185406)   #104
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
There'll be another one dumped outside your house in Kent tomorrow morning.
That's fine, it's bound to be better than the one we've got !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Jan 2013, 10:59 (Ref:3185449)   #105
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Good grief, the pace of life these days ...

No sooner does someone, (me in this case), come up with a good idea than *******s nick it and have some webby people and a couple of graphic artists working through the night to throw together a web page and claim they had the idea first!

Of course we all know the truth don't we?

I presume that is a reworked R8 or something. Allegedly. Maybe.

CofG looks a little high but the drivers should be able to soo over the top of everything else. Will they retain the neckwarming seats though?
I presumed you'd just read the article in (?) Motor Sport about it and was just plagiarising like we all do

No it's not a reworked R8, it's a genuine job.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 12:10 (Ref:3185474)   #106
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Conti is based on the VW Phaeton luxo-barge. Certainly not a reworked Audi R8- from memory they were talking of using either the full-fat W12 front engine or the new smaller V8, but as 4wd not allowed ditching that and the auto box. Interestingly the development has now been contracted to Malcolm Wilson at M Sport, who at end of last year lost his deal to run works Fiesta WRC cars when Ford pulled the plug. So maybe a future in rallying as well, copying Aston's attempt a few years ago....
Rallying? Rallying?

Sounds familiar, just at the moment I can't place when it used to exist.

Still, given that so many manufacturers (Ho Ho) seemed to be dropping a car size for "Rallying" in recent times (or have the smaller cars become bigger instead?) the idea of something like a Continental would be a welcome reversal of that trend.

Mind you the idea of running it through typical British rally stages (if there are such things these days) seems a little odd. Might work quite well on those single venue airfield events I suppose.

I would have thought the formerly-Dakar event could be an option for 2014 - plenty of space - although if it is still run in South America then it might be tricky taking part as a Brit company. But I guess they could just rebrand the "VW's" as usual and claim the business really has transferred to Germany. Just need to pick the right sort of camouflage print for the wraps in the publicity shots.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3185477)   #107
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rallying is alive and well at club level. It's just the WRC that's completely ****ed.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 12:40 (Ref:3185485)   #108
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I presumed you'd just read the article in Motor Sport about it and was just plagiarising like we all do
You read Motor Sport Max? Strewth, how the other half live......

Grant, the Aston was a tarmac spec Group N V8 Vantage, don't think anyone took them into the forests. There was one on Tour Britannia the year I did it, and you could buy them off the peg. Maybe still can.....

Garcon, am looking forward to seeing how quick Kubica is in his Fiesta!

Old 6 Jan 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3185499)   #109
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
You read Motor Sport Max? Strewth, how the other half live......
Trade copy old boy, complimentary don't you know? I thought everyone had one to keep the circulation up
Old 6 Jan 2013, 13:48 (Ref:3185500)   #110
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Garcon, am looking forward to seeing how quick Kubica is in his Fiesta!

Big wheels, Peco exhaust and XR2 stickers? Not forgetting the Pipercross air filter to make it sound like a racer and the furry dice hanging from the interior mirror.

Hmmm, how the mighty are fallen!
Old 6 Jan 2013, 14:58 (Ref:3185530)   #111
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Trade copy old boy, complimentary don't you know? I thought everyone had one to keep the circulation up
You can get blue pills for that.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3185567)   #112
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
You can get blue pills for that.

Old 6 Jan 2013, 21:44 (Ref:3185689)   #113
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Rallying is alive and well at club level. It's just the WRC that's completely ****ed.
Hmm.

Are you sure?

The entries looked a little sparse for a couple of events I checked out on line a few weeks back and a couple of regular(ish) events I can think of have disappeared.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to see that there are still events running at all but I do wonder if things are being held together more by shoethreads than shoestrings.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 21:47 (Ref:3185691)   #114
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Grant, the Aston was a tarmac spec Group N V8 Vantage, don't think anyone took them into the forests. There was one on Tour Britannia the year I did it, and you could buy them off the peg. Maybe still can.....
I seems to recall seeing some pics and I think you are right - mostly they were from "airfield" single location events as I recall. The odd muddy section but that was about it.

I wonder if anyone was brave enough to take one well away from the tarmac?
Old 6 Jan 2013, 21:54 (Ref:3185696)   #115
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, no I'm not sure really. I know it still exists in some recognisable form, but I worry that the failure at the top is bound to filter down.

Must admit I've not exactly done much to help myself lately. Last time I went to a local rally was about 20 years ago.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 00:00 (Ref:3185729)   #116
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think entries are going to be very sparse across the board in 2013 I'm afraid, when I read that the likes of Joss Ronchetti are selling up and quite a few others I know its looking like its really starting to bite now as I have predicted, dunno where we go from here but when I also read BARC have lost 700k in 2012 it doesnt make good reading and one has to ask where do they and others go from here, too late prehaps to even lower prices and if they put them up, well they are not a food retailer or a train company we cannot do without are they, a sticky situation alround.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 01:09 (Ref:3185748)   #117
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Al, the market will dictate; I quote from CSCC's recent newsletter -

".... with packed grids due to strong support from all of you meant that 2012 was our most successful year to date. In 2013, our 10th. Anniversary, there will be NO increases in costs, membership fees, registration fees, and more importantly, race entry fees will remain the same".
Old 7 Jan 2013, 06:25 (Ref:3185818)   #118
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
'Survival of the fittest' just like any business. Some are well run, keep overheads under control, look after their customers and sell what they want to buy......

BTW wasn't all this predicted same time last year?

At F1, WEC & WRC level it is different ball game..........
Old 7 Jan 2013, 07:06 (Ref:3185831)   #119
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the year before. As said,sell what the customer wants,but under no circumstances put prices up,that is seen in so many business's. Thats when a business is in real danger of shutting down! Customers will vote with their feet.
One reason why I was so surprised with the 360,so many people said yes,we want value for money,which was the whole point in providing such a race,yet so many "yes's" didnt bother???????????
Old 7 Jan 2013, 08:14 (Ref:3185844)   #120
midgetman
Veteran

Don't be surprised Terry, you'll find that when you organise anything from a booze up with a group of mates to a six hour race. Everyone says "oh that's a great idea" but probably 90% don't turn up. There'll be excuses and good reasons aplenty, but the bottom line will be only 8 people turn up. Then afterwards there will be numerous people clamouring "oh, I didn't know you were doing that, I'd have come if I had known/hadn't been xxxx-ing" but they never put their money down for next year.

Seen it loads, like I said from little things like company socials to, well, as we've found out.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3185845)   #121
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think like CSCC the 360 and even the V8s have bucked the trend because the advocate and in fact promote car sharing which slashes costs, others should take note and I am surprised BARC,CTCRC didn't and are staying with the traditional format that clearly is failing.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 08:21 (Ref:3185848)   #122
midgetman
Veteran

On another point, did anyone else see the programme about Bonneville Speed Week on BBC2 last night at 10:00. I only saw the last half hour because Sarah was watching some arrant tosh on ITV, and it featured four British bike teams heading fro Bonneville.

Teams included a bunch of bikers building a 1969 Triumph Bonny in remembrance of a deceased pal, our own RickP Clio ?? With his Flower of Scotland project, and a guy who looked like he was re-enacting "The World's Fastest Indian"!

There is a second part, featuring the speed week itself. The announcer didn't say when it would be, so search Radio Times (other listings magazines are available)
Old 7 Jan 2013, 08:38 (Ref:3185851)   #123
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Don't be surprised Terry, you'll find that when you organise anything from a booze up with a group of mates to a six hour race. Everyone says "oh that's a great idea" but probably 90% don't turn up. There'll be excuses and good reasons aplenty, but the bottom line will be only 8 people turn up. Then afterwards there will be numerous people clamouring "oh, I didn't know you were doing that, I'd have come if I had known/hadn't been xxxx-ing" but they never put their money down for next year.

Seen it loads, like I said from little things like company socials to, well, as we've found out.

Could not have put better
Old 7 Jan 2013, 09:19 (Ref:3185868)   #124
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
On another point, did anyone else see the programme about Bonneville Speed Week on BBC2 last night at 10:00. I only saw the last half hour because Sarah was watching some arrant tosh on ITV, and it featured four British bike teams heading fro Bonneville.

Teams included a bunch of bikers building a 1969 Triumph Bonny in remembrance of a deceased pal, our own RickP Clio ?? With his Flower of Scotland project, and a guy who looked like he was re-enacting "The World's Fastest Indian"!

There is a second part, featuring the speed week itself. The announcer didn't say when it would be, so search Radio Times (other listings magazines are available)
Watched it as well,little surprised by some of the language though,I have never heard car racers say words like that before,perhaps its just bikers?

Further to the 360,I'm not surprised,it seems to be the thing with an awful lot of brits at present.[Speaking from experience I'm afraid]
Old 7 Jan 2013, 09:39 (Ref:3185877)   #125
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
As regards grid sizes etc, lets face it it's just like The Costas far too many houses and not enough buyers.
As Mike stated it will be a survival of the fittest.
Maybe we are deluding ourselves and circuit racing is not attractive enough in the modern world to get more people in.
As I have said way back on tenths, at weekends in the 60s there wasn't anything like the amount of things to do and on Sundays with nothing open the choice for me was church or Brands Hatch and seeing the vast crowds around the circuit I obviously wasn't alone.
I don't think that there is a definitive answer unfortunately.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Closed Thread