Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jun 2012, 04:22 (Ref:3093917)   #1
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
J.C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would BMW return to F1 with the new rules for the engine ??

So just wondering, with Formula 1 new engine rules set to be enforce around the 2014 season. Could BMW return to Formula 1 as a engine supplier?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 07:19 (Ref:3093947)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
That's a somewhat misleading headline if i've ever read one..!

Selby
Old 18 Jun 2012, 08:31 (Ref:3093973)   #3
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
That's a somewhat misleading headline if i've ever read one..!

Selby
Quite right! I thought this thread would have substance and structure based on facts, but no.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 08:35 (Ref:3093975)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Nothing wrong with asking a theoretical question, but perhaps 'Do you see BMW returning to F1?' would be a more apt title.

Selby
Old 18 Jun 2012, 08:49 (Ref:3093981)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quite simply - "No". If BMW hadn't committed to the DTM then maybe, but currently I can't see any reason they'd return to F1. If they do anything else then maybe WTCC again but I can't see anything on the scale of F1 happening.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 11:59 (Ref:3094071)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
After doing a quick search on Google, the answer seems to be a very definite 'NO'.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3094073)   #7
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I believe that when they pulled out of F1 they said they wanted to concentrate on racing with production car connections, so various 3-series models in WTCC, GT, DTM.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 20:59 (Ref:3094368)   #8
S14
Racer

Ireland
Rocky Mountain Region, United States
S14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
I believe that when they pulled out of F1 they said they wanted to concentrate on racing with production car connections, so various 3-series models in WTCC, GT, DTM.
So if someone convinces DTM to switch to 1.6 Turbo V6s...

As I understand it, F1 drivetrains will be legal at Le Mans, so who knows, maybe building an engine for both prototypes and formula cars would be a more acceptable or interesting prospect. They could even brand it under the new "i" division, since it'd be a hybrid.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 23:12 (Ref:3094469)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
So just wondering, with Formula 1 new engine rules set to be enforce around the 2014 season. Could BMW return to Formula 1 as a engine supplier?
I'm sorry but the title should be different.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 08:12 (Ref:3094632)   #10
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope not! BMW's last excursion into F1 was a graphic example of everthing bad about maufacturer participation in F1.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 09:57 (Ref:3094710)   #11
knowyourenemy
Rookie

Scotland
Glasgow
knowyourenemy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont see them returning to be honest, i think their focus as per the posts above is DTM, GT etc..

After the Deltawing project at Le Mans with the turbo charged Juke engine - whats peoples thoughts on Nissan joining F1 at some point?
Old 4 Sep 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3298714)   #12
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thread mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Quite simply - "No".
Well, you might just be surprised. There's a good chance you might see a round badge with the colours of the Bavarian flag on the grid in 2016.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 09:49 (Ref:3298729)   #13
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
To get a sense of where a company is at with its motorsport programs you need to get an idea of the sentiments of the hierarchy. Obviously from statements they actually make but also whether or not a given executive has favoured motorsport in his previous positions. All I remember from BMW is that they have made a definitive decision to focus mainly on production racing and I expect that to continue for the foreseeable future.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 10:44 (Ref:3298751)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i seem to recall hearing a while back when they were in f1 last that they asked their customers which sports were most important to them. i think f1 was 3rd or 4th, and golf was top. nuff sed.

as a company, i agree with paradise city - they're not really all that into f1. it doesn't really give you a marketing edge like it used to either. i think to get that you have to be a renault and be involved at every single level so your name really is synony... it goes hand in hand with motorsport.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 11:12 (Ref:3298767)   #15
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my view, it is more wishful thinking from Bernie at this stage. Trying to call on other manufacturers to think F1 and cover the story cooking at Renault Sport...

But with Porsche coming back in prototypes, I wouldn't be surprised to see them expand in that directions. So once Honda makes their F1 return, who knows, they might need to reinforce their sport division presence on track...
Old 4 Sep 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3298986)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
To get a sense of where a company is at with its motorsport programs you need to get an idea of the sentiments of the hierarchy. Obviously from statements they actually make but also whether or not a given executive has favoured motorsport in his previous positions. All I remember from BMW is that they have made a definitive decision to focus mainly on production racing and I expect that to continue for the foreseeable future.
but that also cuts both ways. i dont know how much turnover has occurred in their boardroom over the last 10 years but their ending of the Williams deal and their purchase and then subsequent sale of Sauber...at the very least i dont think one can rule rule out the possibility that there may still be some board members who feel like F1 is a viable route.

Saward has an article on it today where he quotes a larger part of the source where this recent runmour came from.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/...d-f1/#comments

i thought this part was interesting:

“The one other element that may influence the BMW board is the arrival in January of Steven Althaus as the company’s new Director of Brand Management. Prior to joining BMW Althaus was a key player at Allianz, rising to be head of global brand management and strategic partnerships. Althaus knows all about the value of Formula 1 having been heavily involved with Allianz’s F1 activities, which have been running since 2000.”

personally i would like to see them back. obviously there have been some immense failures with other manus (although Toytoa is the bigger fail imo) but i would prefer more manu involvement as opposed to teams owned by investment companies. coming back as an engine supplier would be a good first step and the new rules may give them enough cover to backtrack from their earlier decision to leave. hope it happens anyways.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 10:42 (Ref:3300929)   #17
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowyourenemy View Post
i dont see them returning to be honest, i think their focus as per the posts above is DTM, GT etc..

After the Deltawing project at Le Mans with the turbo charged Juke engine - whats peoples thoughts on Nissan joining F1 at some point?
Unlikely, Nissan are positioning their premium brand (Infiniti) in F1 and already have sister brand Renault there.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 09:35 (Ref:3301980)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The engine manufacturers that are currently in F1 can put various badges on their engines, if necessary. BMW are somewhat limited in that respect, although they do have some of their mass production petrol engine designs being used in cars such as Citroen's, for example.