Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 26 Feb 2013, 01:39 (Ref:3210895)   #251
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I have to say I'm a bit ****ed at RLM and DSC playing this up the way they did. They knew how their tweets would be perceived and knowing what was behind it was setting up people to be disappointed imo...

I know, bills need to be paid and all but still, not cool.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 01:42 (Ref:3210897)   #252
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...acer-for-2014/
I am actually pretty excited about this, it is certainly better for garage 56 than that fire hazard hydrogen car and it could mean Nissan in LMP1 in 2015. The deltawing turned out a lot better than I thought it would, I'm keeping the same hopes for this electric car.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 01:44 (Ref:3210898)   #253
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Actually, it is bigger than it seems. From a John Dagys story that was just posted:

Quote:
Further details of Nissan’s new project, incorporating electric technology, have yet to be revealed. However, the Garage 56 entry is the first step towards a planned entry into LMP1 in the future, according to Darren Cox, Nissan’s Global Motorsports Director.

"We say we're about innovation and excitement,” Cox said in an exclusive interview on radiolemans.com. “If we weren't trying to get Garage 56 every year, we wouldn't be innovative.

“That particular entry is put in place for the most innovative car that year. That's what we're all about. We're not about using it once and walking away from it. We really want to utilize that opportunity to show our innovation."

Cox said Nissan is currently evaluating an undisclosed type of propulsion technology with the ACO and FIA and the feasibly of it fitting within the new-for-2014 LMP1 regulations, which sees a switch towards energy allocation and efficiency.

No specific timeframe for Nissan’s planned LMP1 effort has been announced.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 01:44 (Ref:3210899)   #254
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I have to say I'm a bit ****ed at RLM and DSC playing this up the way they did. They knew how their tweets would be perceived and knowing what was behind it was setting up people to be disappointed imo...

I know, bills need to be paid and all but still, not cool.
Agree 100%. They are 2-3 years away at least from LMP1.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 01:48 (Ref:3210900)   #255
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
So a major global manufacturer announcing a return to the highest echelons of endurance racing isn't worth the hype?

Really????

Honestly guys words fail me.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 01:50 (Ref:3210901)   #256
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
So a major global manufacturer announcing a return to the highest echelons of endurance racing isn't worth the hype?

Really????

They don't, Garage56 doesn't really qualify for that imo. It's not racing, it's just a showcase... that comes with a vague promise.

Nope sorry, not really exciting. And not really needed either. Toyota didn't need it...
Old 26 Feb 2013, 01:54 (Ref:3210903)   #257
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jesus some of you just cannot be pleased. Anyone who thought Nissan was going to take on Audi and Toyota with a conventional LMP1 have little idea about how Nissan works. They aren't throwing big money at anything unless it helps them with their road cars. After seeing the tweets I don't remember seeing anything to the effect of them being in LMP1, so I don't know where people even got that notion.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 01:55 (Ref:3210905)   #258
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
return to the highest echelons of endurance racing
But they are not racing, as Acid09 said, it is just a showcase.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 01:56 (Ref:3210906)   #259
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
They don't, Garage56 doesn't really qualify for that imo. It's not racing, it's just a showcase... that comes with a vague promise.

Nope sorry, not really exciting. And not really needed either. Toyota didn't need it...
Toyota didn't have the choice of doing it, and oh yeah, Nissan doesn't have a half billion dollar F1 R&D operation to start with, either.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 01:56 (Ref:3210907)   #260
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Really????

Except they aren't returning to the highest echelon of endurance racing. Maybe the highest echelon of endurance demonstration of engineering.. but they aren't racing this, at least initially. Even if it does race, it's a bloody electric car, a full sized slot car. That just isn't interesting to me, not one iota.

This version of the future just isn't interesting. It isn't even green, so forget that angle.

They are trying to create marketing buzz for themselves, instead of actually competing. It will create a fancy marketing/engineering program.

No, it didn't measure up to the hype.

Outside of Nissan people, and the press people who are close to them, I don't see much except disappointment.

Mike Fuller ‏@mulsannescorner
Garage 56 as a revolving door for efforts without the fortitude to actually compete? Well played Nissan, well played.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 01:57 (Ref:3210908)   #261
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Really????

They aren't returning.. yet. Garage 56 is a farce, it takes away focus from the top class which already is a technology showcase. Toyota and Audi are proving up hybrid and diesel technology while racing, competition improves the breed. They using bleeding edge propulsion as well as revolutionary lightweight composites, all within a specific rule set. Why not forego the 2014 parade exercise and come straight into P1 where everyone is starting from scratch with the new ruleset? The answer - hype. They appear to be more of a marketing company than a racing manufacturer.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 01:58 (Ref:3210910)   #262
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Jesus some of you just cannot be pleased. Anyone who thought Nissan was going to take on Audi and Toyota with a conventional LMP1 have little idea about how Nissan works. They aren't throwing big money at anything unless it helps them with their road cars. After seeing the tweets I don't remember seeing anything to the effect of them being in LMP1, so I don't know where people even got that notion.
Hey, just compete...somewhere. I would have been thrilled with GTE. Compete.. don't hide in an exhibition class, trying to get a marketing ploy.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 01:59 (Ref:3210911)   #263
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree that there seemed to be a lot of self-induced foreplay happening here for a NISMO LMP1 programme, or GTE.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 01:59 (Ref:3210912)   #264
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Toyota build hybridised road cars - Nissan don't - The regs from 2014 essentially make it impossible to be competitive without a hybrid and as I've just said Nissan aren't just making their point on paper about the relevance of the tech, they're going to do it on the track
Old 26 Feb 2013, 02:00 (Ref:3210913)   #265
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Toyota didn't have the choice of doing it, and oh yeah, Nissan doesn't have a half billion dollar F1 R&D operation to start with, either.
Moot point, Peugeot didn't have one either, and Audi isn't exactly in-house either. Nissan is a top 10 manufacturer by the numbers so it's not some sort of David vs. Goliath thing.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 02:02 (Ref:3210914)   #266
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Toyota build hybridised road cars - Nissan don't - The regs from 2014 essentially make it impossible to be competitive without a hybrid and as I've just said Nissan aren't just making their point on paper about the relevance of the tech, they're going to do it on the track
Run a GTE, not an exhibition car.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 02:02 (Ref:3210915)   #267
Ratzenberger
Rookie

Austria
Salzburg
Ratzenberger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a lot of people here have set their expectation levels too high and if they don't get exactly what they want then they're bound to be disappointed.

Admittedly I thought it was going to be a GTE reveal but I haven't let myself get caught up in the hype so I'm not bothered either way as GTE is varied enough as it is.

The fact that Nissan are preparing a possible P1 challenger though is great news and it's just what the category needs, if it takes a G56 entry to make that happen then so be it.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 02:02 (Ref:3210916)   #268
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They aren't throwing big money at anything unless it helps them with their road cars.
Yeah, the DW helped out loads in road car development.
Garage 56, less expensive than P1, more publicity than P1.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 02:03 (Ref:3210917)   #269
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Hey, just compete...somewhere. I would have been thrilled with GTE. Compete.. don't hide in an exhibition class, trying to get a marketing ploy.

Who says GTE isn't on the cards for some point in the future? BMW could open the door for a V8 GTR.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 02:05 (Ref:3210918)   #270
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Who says GTE isn't on the cards for some point in the future? BMW could open the door for a V8 GTR.
If it is great. Then I'd be happy to listen to that conference call, and the hype that goes with it.

This isn't about GTE.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 02:05 (Ref:3210919)   #271
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
And no risk attached. You just have to feel bad for Toyota, they do it the right way with all the risks involved, including the possibility of complete failure.

And meanwhile Nissan sucks all the PR out of the event they can get without actually racing competitively...for the second time now.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 02:09 (Ref:3210923)   #272
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Moot point, Peugeot didn't have one either, and Audi isn't exactly in-house either. Nissan is a top 10 manufacturer by the numbers so it's not some sort of David vs. Goliath thing.
Peugeot did it because it served a purpose for their road cars and there was a bit of nationalistic pride as well. Those are two factors lacking in Nismo's case.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 02:10 (Ref:3210924)   #273
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What I do like about this is that Nissan have committed to actually putting pen to paper and building something vs the DW route.

So that's a net gain in a sense and let's see where it goes. They are clearly committed to LM/Sportscar racing - albeit from that different angle. If it is PR, I'd rather they were trying to build racing cars than making robots or something. I am sceptical about a P1 return. I think they had to say that so people (and the ACO) didn't think they were taking the mick. They are easy words to say, but DC hasn't said them before until now. IF this latest effort is of P1 pace then it's a big story.

When you get in the bubble (and I'm super guilty of this) you can't always see it but you end up blasting manufacturers who are spending money in this arena when there are so many that aren't.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 02:11 (Ref:3210925)   #274
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
Yeah, the DW helped out loads in road car development.
And I'd bet that they got into Delta Wing with the intention of going zero emission with it as well.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 02:12 (Ref:3210926)   #275
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
And no risk attached. You just have to feel bad for Toyota, they do it the right way with all the risks involved, including the possibility of complete failure.

And meanwhile Nissan sucks all the PR out of the event they can get without actually racing competitively...for the second time now.
You are on a roll tonight, spot on! LMP1 is a technology showcase already, remind me why again do we need Garage 56? Honestly, what is a bigger draw as a fan to attend the race in 2014? 3 LMP1 factories (which is fantastic) plus G56, or 4 LMP1 factories battling it out?