Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Mar 2008, 22:04 (Ref:2146576)   #1
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track Safety in F1

With the new decade most of the F1 tracks have been modified or upgraded in various ways to improve track saftey (and paddock size, despite there now being only 11 teams. Where did everyone camp out in 1989?). This has often included large tarmac runoffs, which the drivers enjoy, because they can go off and rejoin without much trouble. I'm not such a big fan of these runoffs, though, and for various reasons. Firstly, I don't like how parts not part of the race track is sometimes used to gain an advantage (Example: Massa overtaking Kubica at the last corner at Fuji last year). Secondly, mistakes should be punished.

But the main reason I don't like the tarmac runoff is because I consider it unsafe. The new bus stop at Spa is a good example. Outbreak yourself into the chicane and you're fine, you just loose a few seconds. But what if you have a high speed accident, or aquaplane off during a wet race? Tarmac. Wall. Boom. Crash. Wet tarmac especially won't slow you down the slightest, was obvious during races like the GP2 support race at Istanbul a few years ago. And those cars crashed into a soft tyre barrier, not concrete. I don't know about you, but I just can't stand all this tarmac that isn't a part of the racing circuit itself.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 23:59 (Ref:2146629)   #2
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like almost anything to do with safety it is a compromise. If we replaced all the run off with gravel traps then there is a danger that cars will dig in and roll. or be stopped very near the edge of the track. My understanding is that the blacktop is of a high abrasion material so the cars can maintain some traction even in the wet, something they can't do on grass.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 00:30 (Ref:2146637)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A cocked wheel due to a knock on the suspension, and the car will slide forever on it's undertray along the tarmac since not all the wheels are in contact for the braking effort to bring a car to a halt before hitting something solid.

Some tarmac to allow a driver to save the car, but also gravel beyond that to help prevent the big impact. The combined distance of both would be less than that of many of the current tarmac run-offs
Old 11 Mar 2008, 14:12 (Ref:2149177)   #4
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there was an interesting article in the MSA Motorsports Now publication middle of last year on the safety features at Paul Richard circuit - that has highly abrasive tarmac run off surfaces, the blue zone, and if the car hasnt stopped by then, it enters the very abrasive red zone - which ruins tyres, requiring a tyre change ASAP.

nor have bikes/riders reached the barriers - the tarmac has stopped them sliding too.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 14:22 (Ref:2149185)   #5
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why can't it be like this?

Track, then grass to punish mistakes, and to stop drivers extending the width of the track.
Tarmac, to catch the big spinners.
Then gravel to slow the really big ones?
Old 11 Mar 2008, 14:30 (Ref:2149189)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone reaching the kitty litter in that set up deserves an award... for bravery, or optimism...
Old 11 Mar 2008, 15:00 (Ref:2149199)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I personally like the diagram (apart from the fact that it has too much tarmac) - I think that might be how Hermann Tilke designs his circuits.

I have no problem with tarmac run-off in theory - it's just how they're used that's the problem. Take the Massa/Kubica battle in Fuji last year - it was great fun to watch, but they went onto the tarmac run-off several times and if anything it made them go quicker. If using tarmac instead of gravel/grass is supposed to make things safer, it seems like a flawed plan.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 11 Mar 2008, 15:07 (Ref:2149201)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd prefer the following:

Track>>>oil slick>>>very sharp, vertical cattle grid.

The motivation to not crash would be enormous and mistakes would be punished inappropriately.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 15:31 (Ref:2149216)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I'd prefer the following:

Track>>>oil slick>>>very sharp, vertical cattle grid.
I'd go further than that:

Track>>>Crocodile pit......hey Bernie,maybe for next years Oz GP eh!