Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jun 2010, 12:08 (Ref:2714682)   #1
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lehto injured in boat accident

Just saw this on Autosport:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84592

Quote:
The 44-year-old Finn was reportedly thrown out of the small boat he was travelling in when it struck a bridge support.

Lehto suffered head injuries and broken ribs but was able to swim to shore, although a friend who had been travelling with him was reportedly killed in the accident.
Get well soon, JJ, and my sympathies for your friend.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2714764)   #2
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The speed limit in the canal is 5 kph. It's obvious that the boat was travelling much faster than that during the time of the accident. Finnish news sites are estimating at least 70 kph. Police will obviously be interested to know who was driving the boat. It's a tragic thing certainly. I hope Lehto will be alright.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 23:31 (Ref:2714895)   #3
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for that, some background might have nice.
Old 21 Jun 2010, 01:50 (Ref:2715446)   #4
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I hope Lehto gets well, somehow I felt sympathy from him since before his F1 career. News point that the accident was very serious (RIP his friend).

Many racing drivers has a sort of addiction for speed related risks, even in their civil life. I suppose it is one of those things that make possible their racing career.
Old 21 Jun 2010, 10:36 (Ref:2715587)   #5
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the police, alcohol levels in Lehto's blood were 0.17% so he will be in trouble if it turns out he was driving the boat. There's a google maps link below this article. Driving that fast in a place like that is just plain suicidal. http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=373651
Old 21 Jun 2010, 10:57 (Ref:2715605)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Jeez, you're absolutely right. That's dicing with danger hitting 70kph in a canal that's only a couple of meters wide at some points.

Selby
Old 25 Aug 2011, 08:41 (Ref:2945503)   #7
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Translation:
Quote:
Former F1 driver JJ Lehdo charges felony manslaughter
25.8.2011 | MTV3

JJ Lehto, against the indictments were issued felony manslaughter, felony causing a traffic hazard and water drunk, tells channel Nelonen news.

Inform to decided the district prosecutor, Antti Sundberg Western Uusimaa prosecutor's offices

The prosecutor believes that the former Formula One driver drove the boat in June 2010 an accident that killed JJ Lehto good friend. Järvilehto blew after the accident, 1.7 per mille readings.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 11:29 (Ref:2945587)   #8
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks very bad for Jyrki Jarvi.
As much as I liked him as a driver you can't really defend someone if it is true that he was drunk and speeding recklessly.
I am sure that the loss of a friend is penalty enough, but is a gaol sentence a better deterrent to others ?
What is 'normal' in cases like this in Finland, say with road accidents in similar circumstances ?
Old 25 Aug 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2945621)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's just sad...
Old 25 Aug 2011, 13:53 (Ref:2945662)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Didn't it happen some time ago? (June 2010)

Very sad.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 14:45 (Ref:2945690)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Very sad and extremely irresponsible..
Old 25 Aug 2011, 15:18 (Ref:2945717)   #12
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
What is 'normal' in cases like this in Finland, say with road accidents in similar circumstances ?
Aggravated manslaughter shall be sentenced to at least four months and a maximum of six years in prison.

Waterborne drunk may be sentenced to a fine or up to two years' imprisonment.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2945899)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Oh dear this is sad news in both cases here, firstly the tragic the death of the other guy and the fact that JJ was even in a situation like this to start with....
Old 25 Aug 2011, 20:42 (Ref:2945903)   #14
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Very sad and extremely irresponsible..
I can only agree with that.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 12:46 (Ref:2952691)   #15
kurski
Veteran

Finland
JJ Lehto returns with commentator DTM series final race.

Finland URHOTV channel.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 13:20 (Ref:2952704)   #16
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
JJ Lehto returns with commentator DTM series final race.

Finland URHOTV channel.
Just out of interest I tried the Bing translation service for the article. I'm not sure it helped ....
Old 22 Nov 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2989925)   #17
kurski
Veteran

Finland
Prosecutor: JJ Lehto directed the crash boat drunk and speeding
Old 22 Nov 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2990081)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
drunk and speeding, yay...
Old 22 Nov 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2990089)   #19
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Not as good as the Russian diplomat just pulled over in Poland at 15 times the legal limit.

I, personally, would have trouble standing up, never mind driving a car.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2990092)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Not as good as the Russian diplomat just pulled over in Poland at 15 times the legal limit.
That's some car he's got!
Old 23 Nov 2011, 00:58 (Ref:2990244)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post

I, personally, would have trouble standing up, never mind driving a car.
I could not stand to drive a car with that much alcohol in my system...
Old 23 Nov 2011, 11:21 (Ref:2990408)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I could not stand to drive a car with that much alcohol in my system...
That's because you're not a Russian...
Old 23 Nov 2011, 12:44 (Ref:2990426)   #23
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
That's some car he's got!
It was a 10km/h limit zone, so he was only doing 93mph. Although that's quite a lot in most stereotypical Russian cars.
Old 23 Nov 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2990502)   #24
kurski
Veteran

Finland
District Prosecutor Antti Sundberg requires JJ Lehto, a five-year unconditional prison sentence.
Old 23 Nov 2011, 17:01 (Ref:2990517)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
District Prosecutor Antti Sundberg requires JJ Lehto, a five-year unconditional prison sentence.
Man, this is serious.