Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Apr 2006, 06:58 (Ref:1567492)   #1
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
F1 style qualifying for V8SC???

I was very impressed with the F1 Qualifying yesterday. Would it work in V8SC. I'd love to see it. Never been a fan of 1 lap dashes.
Old 2 Apr 2006, 07:41 (Ref:1567539)   #2
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Dito... It was infact entertaining for once! I do have one reservation given what happened to Ruben though... maybe they could add what would be sufficient time for two laps to the clock if there is a saftey car in the session??

I recon it would be great to see in V8's.

Go the Datto!!!
Old 2 Apr 2006, 08:01 (Ref:1567552)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would disadvantage the faster teams to have to do 3 qualifying sessions while the slower teams did a couple of laps, guaranteed a start, then put it away until the race

More thinking to do here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Apr 2006, 08:07 (Ref:1567562)   #4
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler
Dito... It was infact entertaining for once! I do have one reservation given what happened to Ruben though... maybe they could add what would be sufficient time for two laps to the clock if there is a saftey car in the session??

I recon it would be great to see in V8's.
Simple. Stop the clock whilst the SC is out. KISS. Should be used more often in our sport.
Old 2 Apr 2006, 08:18 (Ref:1567575)   #5
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
Simple. Stop the clock whilst the SC is out. KISS. Should be used more often in our sport.
There is still no additional benefit if they were to stop the clock half way through a lap for someone. One thing to remember with this format is that your lap doesnt count unless you finish within the given timeframe, you can not finish your lap after the clock

Go the Datto!!!
Old 2 Apr 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1567603)   #6
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
I was very impressed with the F1 Qualifying yesterday. Would it work in V8SC. I'd love to see it. Never been a fan of 1 lap dashes.

Just can not see it work in the taxi's
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 2 Apr 2006, 08:57 (Ref:1567620)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How about 2 qualifying sessions of 16 cars each (see I can dream too..)

Bottom 8 cars fall off in each session

Then a combined qualifying session for the 8 cars from group 1, and 8 cars in group 2

If you select a rational method of choosing who goes in each group (like put one car from each team into each group) then the fans will see the hot cars on the track for longer.

And.. here's the kicker.. the main qualifying session with the 2 lots of 8 hot cars, would be qualifying the same conditions, so going first wouldnt be the disadvantage it seems to be at the moment.
Old 2 Apr 2006, 09:14 (Ref:1567638)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
but GTR isnt that effectively what we get now. the top 16 cars from practise end up in the fastest 50%
Old 2 Apr 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1567648)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It depends what you want to achieve, but fundamentally a car in the bottom 50% rarely goes well enough to stay in the top 10 overall... now some of that may be car performance, but there have been some cars you would expect in the top 50% that end up in the bottom session, and because the circuit hasnt gripped up, or the slipstreaming stuff that sometimes goes on doesnt happen with the lower rung teams, they dont progress

I wouldnt mind seeing no shootouts except for Bathurst, but a more meaningful way of keeping the hot cars on the track for longer... and one session with all the cars eligible to improve performance on the track and fighting for position, not in the garage unable to respond...
Old 2 Apr 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1567683)   #10
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ignore the whole 2 knockout sessions and its the same as what the V8's use. Do you not consider banking a top 10 time eligible for the shootout a form of elimination?
Old 2 Apr 2006, 10:04 (Ref:1567686)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It depends if you want qualifying to be a show or not

Its not an elimination per se if the cars in the lower 50% cannot respond to the times set in the first session because they have no more time allocated.

For a car to be eliminated, to make it interesting on track, and for television if #10 thought about it some more than they do, then the 16 car all in session for the top cars in each group will be the highlight of the qualifying.

You could break 16 back to 8 if required, or just eliminate the single lap shootout, and replace it with all the cars on the track, and a decent view of what the timing systems are showing live timing customers, when these cars are on track

Would consumers find a qualifying teev package like an F1 version interesting to watch on the box? I would if they did it right, so it meant something.... and it would stop the blipverts (thanks Mr Headroom) we are informed of when #10 discusses qualifying...
Old 2 Apr 2006, 12:16 (Ref:1567786)   #12
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
live timing customers
The live timing is free now remember.
Old 2 Apr 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1567819)   #13
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
It would disadvantage the faster teams to have to do 3 qualifying sessions while the slower teams did a couple of laps, guaranteed a start, then put it away until the race

More thinking to do here
If you consider it a disadvantage to be closer to the front of the grid, and getting in more laps, then yes, I agree.

If I was running a team I would rather run in all 3 sessions and start in the top 10 on the grid, than only run in one or two sessions, and start further back.

I think the current F1 system makes qualifying a great show.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 00:04 (Ref:1568616)   #14
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the best system for V8s would be to just give the whole field one hour and 10 or 12 laps (in and out laps don't count) to qualify.

Simple, fair and effective.
Old 3 Apr 2006, 00:10 (Ref:1568619)   #15
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
Vanilla Dice has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1
If you consider it a disadvantage to be closer to the front of the grid, and getting in more laps, then yes, I agree.

If I was running a team I would rather run in all 3 sessions and start in the top 10 on the grid, than only run in one or two sessions, and start further back.

I think the current F1 system makes qualifying a great show.
The disadvantage in running more laps is that you put more laps on the car (more $$ for no improved tv coverage) and more importantly, put more laps on your tyres. At most meetings, Supercars are marginal for tyres to complete an event, and will regularly start races on tyres already run in qualifying.

This is the part of the Supercar circus that makes no sense. The driver has to be ultra careful in qualifying knowing that one pinch of the tyre may flat spot it and render it useless. A difficult parameter to work within, and something the trillionaires in charge of TEGA should be looking at.

666 posts... over... and OUT..!
Old 3 Apr 2006, 04:58 (Ref:1568710)   #16
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Dice
The disadvantage in running more laps is that you put more laps on the car (more $$ for no improved tv coverage) and more importantly, put more laps on your tyres. At most meetings, Supercars are marginal for tyres to complete an event, and will regularly start races on tyres already run in qualifying.

This is the part of the Supercar circus that makes no sense. The driver has to be ultra careful in qualifying knowing that one pinch of the tyre may flat spot it and render it useless. A difficult parameter to work within, and something the trillionaires in charge of TEGA should be looking at.
Dice they have looked at it and given them an extra allocation of tyres for practice and qualifying throughout the year.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 3 Apr 2006, 05:51 (Ref:1568728)   #17
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
They allocated 12 'free' tyres, there are 14 events. So do they use .8571 of a new tyre per event?

Old 3 Apr 2006, 06:02 (Ref:1568734)   #18
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They allocated 12 'free' tyres, there are 14 events. So do they use .8571 of a new tyre per event?
No there are more allocated than that - give Wes a ring and ask him as its complicated but as I read it the teams don't use race tyres for practice - qualifying or Top 10 (might be wrong though).

edit - The 12 free tyres are bought off Dunlop to be used for test days and practice only.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 3 Apr 2006, 07:04 (Ref:1568765)   #19
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
Wes got the bullet from his day job

Old 4 Apr 2006, 05:00 (Ref:1569726)   #20
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
No there are more allocated than that - give Wes a ring and ask him as its complicated but as I read it the teams don't use race tyres for practice - qualifying or Top 10 (might be wrong though).

edit - The 12 free tyres are bought off Dunlop to be used for test days and practice only.
It's 8 tyres for practice,qualifying and Top 10...

.... and then the normal race allocation for that track...

.... plus if the team wants to they can draw tyres from the 12 they purchase from Dunlop for qualifying and Top 10.

And they are allowed to keep 90 (I think) in their tyre bank. (and some of those they hand back in and get new ones as well)

Old 4 Apr 2006, 06:08 (Ref:1569749)   #21
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
So thats 8 new tyres for practice at every event, plus an allocation of race tyres? Or does the 8 tyre allocation come from the 80 (not 90) that a car is allowed to hang on to?

At the AGP for example, if someone like Jacques gets 8 tyres for practice, and 8 tyres for the race, and runs on only 4 tyres all weekend, its a nice free kick for SCAR to have him as a driver

Old 4 Apr 2006, 06:14 (Ref:1569754)   #22
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
So thats 8 new tyres for practice at every event, plus an allocation of race tyres? Or does the 8 tyre allocation come from the 80 (not 90) that a car is allowed to hang on to?

At the AGP for example, if someone like Jacques gets 8 tyres for practice, and 8 tyres for the race, and runs on only 4 tyres all weekend, its a nice free kick for SCAR to have him as a driver
Yeah sorry 80 not 90.

Not sure on where the 8 comes from - from the bank as a rebate or they hand them back - I will try and find out.

Old 4 Apr 2006, 06:16 (Ref:1569755)   #23
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
Thank you for the update Retro, most interesting.

Old 27 Jul 2006, 02:36 (Ref:1665545)   #24
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last night Cochrane said there will be a new qualifying format next year. Since they are going to broadcast qualifying they want it to be exciting so do we think they'll implement F1 style qualifying? Or maybe A1GP style.

Is Top 10 part of "qualifying" in that sense I wonder... I quite like the shootouts - even though I might be more of a "purist" persuasion, they are very exciting. Winton was a good example. So I hope they remain.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 08:04 (Ref:1665673)   #25
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm all for the return of 'proper' qualifying, save the Top 10 for Bathurst.